PCSO MENTORS - I'M GONNA BE ONE

PCSO stuff ONLY: Burning issues, high profile questions or cases that have been highlighted in national or local news, let's talk about them IN HERE! A link to the item would be great where possible.

Moderator: national-PCSOs

typecastboy
Gold Elite Legion
Gold Elite Legion
Sacred: 'Warrior'

PCSO MENTORS - I'M GONNA BE ONE

Post by typecastboy » Sat Jan 16, 2010 2:10 pm

Meeting at work yesterday. We have been told that some of us have been selected (myself and elcapitan) both have been, to be Mentors to new PCSOs.

All new PCSOs in the Met apparently, will be going to STT teams for three weeks to be taken out on patrol to be trained up in a "live" situation rather than the classroom. After the three weeks, they will then go off to their SNTs on their boroughs.

I for one, am really looking forward to doing this, and am glad that I have been chosen to be one of those trusted to do it.
Nov 2008 - Day 2 Fitness/Medical - Passed
Jan 2009 - Start Training in Sidcup
Mar 2009 - On Borough

SINGLE PATROL IS THE WAY FORWARD

overthinker1977
Committee Member
Committee Member

Re: PCSO MENTORS - I'M GONNA BE ONE

Post by overthinker1977 » Sat Jan 16, 2010 2:20 pm

God help us all. :wink:
Supporter of Police
scum = criminals

mj12cz
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Post by mj12cz » Sat Jan 16, 2010 2:31 pm

overthinker1977 wrote:God help us all. :wink:

LOL :D

I have been doing this for a few years, however I have had a break fom it as it can sometimes be very hard work. I had one guy who was awful and mentoring him almost broke me!
"Its a mother beautiful bridge and its going to be there"

Save the cheer leader, save the world.....

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
George Orwell

typecastboy
Gold Elite Legion
Gold Elite Legion

Post by typecastboy » Sat Jan 16, 2010 2:51 pm

Now how did I know someone was going to say that? :slbx:
Mar 2009 - On Borough

Big Brother
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Examiner: XIII

Post by Big Brother » Sat Jan 16, 2010 8:57 pm

Out of curiosity, are you getting paid for this extra responsibility? I'm a trained tutor and get a £250 bounty for every person I tutor/mentor. Haven't done it for some time because of my new role, but the money was more than welcome.
Big brother is watching you.

typecastboy
Gold Elite Legion
Gold Elite Legion

Post by typecastboy » Sat Jan 16, 2010 9:41 pm

Big Brother wrote:Out of curiosity, are you getting paid for this extra responsibility? I'm a trained tutor and get a £250 bounty for every person I tutor/mentor. Haven't done it for some time because of my new role, but the money was more than welcome.
There was certainly no mention of any extra money, and I'm certainly not expecting it. I'm happy to do it, and it will make a change to pass on the huge amount of experience I've had in the last year :slsa:
Mar 2009 - On Borough

mj12cz
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Post by mj12cz » Sat Jan 16, 2010 9:45 pm

Good for you TCB... there is not much choice or responsibility in this role its nice to have a bit of that.
"Its a mother beautiful bridge and its going to be there"

Save the cheer leader, save the world.....

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
George Orwell

PCSO Mickyboy
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by PCSO Mickyboy » Sat Jan 16, 2010 10:00 pm

Big Brother wrote:Out of curiosity, are you getting paid for this extra responsibility? I'm a trained tutor and get a £250 bounty for every person I tutor/mentor. Haven't done it for some time because of my new role, but the money was more than welcome.
hence why i did not take the offer on when i was offered it in my force.

Been doing this job since Nov 2006 and i know what i can and can't do and no how far the remit can go, but, why should i take on extra work when my work load is high anyway? and not get paid any extra?

Good Luck TCB good help London :slroll:
Is now a PC

typecastboy
Gold Elite Legion
Gold Elite Legion

Post by typecastboy » Sat Jan 16, 2010 10:17 pm

PCSO Mickyboy wrote:
hence why i did not take the offer on when i was offered it in my force.

Been doing this job since Nov 2006 and i know what i can and can't do and no how far the remit can go, but, why should i take on extra work when my work load is high anyway? and not get paid any extra?

Good Luck TCB good help London :slroll:
The reason I want to do it, is I would have liked to have had that when I started, rather than being chucked out on the street knowing not much, and just being paired with someone and muddling through. Having someone assigned for 3 weeks, before you get to borough, to find out how it's done for real, not how they teach you in the classroom is a great idea, and I'm pleased to be able to pass on what I feel is a wealth of information that I have learned over the last year. It may have only been a year, but I feel that I have learned a massive amount in that time, and I don't need financial rewards to pass on that information. If I do happen to get rewarded financially, then that is a bonus.
Mar 2009 - On Borough

Big Brother
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Examiner: XIII

Post by Big Brother » Sat Jan 16, 2010 11:35 pm

It's nice to want to do it for unselfish reasons, it's very admirable. Some of us are more mercenerary than others though, and it is a lot of extra work on your part. Good luck.
Big brother is watching you.

overthinker1977
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by overthinker1977 » Sun Jan 17, 2010 2:48 am

typecastboy wrote:
Now how did I know someone was going to say that? :slbx:
it was more a case of who would say it first really... :slch2:
Supporter of Police
scum = criminals

Sgt87
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by Sgt87 » Sun Jan 17, 2010 10:53 am

typecastboy wrote:Having someone assigned for 3 weeks, before you get to borough, to find out how it's done for real, not how they teach you in the classroom is a great idea...
So are you saying that before their foundation course at Hendon they are being put onto borough for 3 weeks?

elcapitan
Executive Member
Executive Member
Class: 'Ogre'

Post by elcapitan » Sun Jan 17, 2010 12:16 pm

He means that after the initial training course, be it at Hendon or Sidcup the new recruits will come to our team for 3 weeks, pair up with one of us for that period of time and then be sent to their already allocated SNT. So I suppose in some respects training for PCSOs in the Met is going from 6 to 9 weeks.

Great idea. Im looking forward to it!
July 2007 - PC Day 1 Assessment
December 2007 - Failed PC Day 1 (by 1%)
September 2008 - PCSO Day 2 Passed
29 January 2009 - Training commences
16 March 2009 - ON THE BEAT!
January 2010 - Re-apply for PC...WooP WooP!

typecastboy
Gold Elite Legion
Gold Elite Legion

Post by typecastboy » Sun Jan 17, 2010 2:44 pm

Sgt87 wrote:
typecastboy wrote:Having someone assigned for 3 weeks, before you get to borough, to find out how it's done for real, not how they teach you in the classroom is a great idea...
So are you saying that before their foundation course at Hendon they are being put onto borough for 3 weeks?
No, they do their six weeks at Hendon/Sidcup or wherever, then they come to an STT for 3 weeks to go out on patrol. I don't see that it's any more work for me.

Whoops, just realised elcapitan has already answered this, ho hum.
Mar 2009 - On Borough

PCSOTristan
Committee Member
Committee Member
Class: 'Night Summoner'
Alignment: 'Shadow'
Sacred: 'Ranger'

Post by PCSOTristan » Sun Jan 17, 2010 4:46 pm

typecastboy wrote:
There was certainly no mention of any extra money, and I'm certainly not expecting it. I'm happy to do it, and it will make a change to pass on the huge amount of experience I've had in the last year :slsa:
Oh dear another Mug in a cup, no extra training, no extra money, THE MET is prostituing its PCSO staff, all the extra burden and you get nothing for it, go and find a tutor PC and ask him how much extra a year he gets for tutoring PC's you wont be so happy then!

How do you deal with non confident staff?

How do you deal with staff not up to speed?

How do you deal with staff who are showing alarming issues in the knowledge block?

How do you ulter your training methods?

How do you deal with staff with behaviouarall issues?

How do you gauge their performance if your not trained to?

How do you give feedback about jobs or incidents that have gone right/wrong without training?

How do you know the way you give feed back is correct without training?

How do you know what level of ability/what training level is needed prior to going on division?

Mentoring/tutoring is not simply a job where someone goes- Go and train this person, its an important step in the career of a new PCSO, you could be the best PCSO in the world but a crap tutor, or a rubbish communicater without having the correct training tools, its a bit pointless and MET training on the cheap!

Just becareful that what you teach doesnt come back and bite you in the arse, when one of your trainee's messes up quoting "but my mentor showed me how to do this" because without any formal training, you may aswell drop your bottoms bend over the desk and say be gentle!

Oh I forgot to add that Essex PCSO's get paided for tutoring!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic