The Cuts thread

PCSO stuff ONLY: Burning issues, high profile questions or cases that have been highlighted in national or local news, let's talk about them IN HERE! A link to the item would be great where possible.

Moderator: national-PCSOs

tommy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: The Cuts thread

Post by tommy » Wed Oct 20, 2010 1:10 pm

Well.... having just watched the beginning of the spending review, it states....

Police budgets will be cut by 4% over the next 4 years.

To be honest, that's not too bad :)
*Any posts made by me are my personal opinion*

bullman4657
Registered Member
Registered Member

Post by bullman4657 » Wed Oct 20, 2010 1:22 pm

That's 16% over 4 years and a cut in council funding. Does not sound good to me. He also said it's unto individual forces where they cut.

Big Brother
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Examiner: XIII

Post by Big Brother » Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:35 pm

bullman4657 wrote:That's 16% over 4 years and a cut in council funding. Does not sound good to me. He also said it's unto individual forces where they cut.

But it's a LOT better than the immediate 25% cut that our force has already begun budgeting for. I don't think 4% per year is too bad to be fair, in terms of pure jobs in our force it will amount to 400 or so over 4 years. Not taking into account all the other things they can save money from.
Big brother is watching you.

bullman4657
Registered Member
Registered Member

Post by bullman4657 » Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:49 pm

I hope ypu are right. We loose 100 PCSO's per year naturaly although some of them to the regs. Fingers crossed we all stay because despite what some people say most of us do a great job!!!!!!!

lookalikecop
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by lookalikecop » Wed Oct 20, 2010 3:12 pm

Hear Hear

Yes Bullman we do! and please don't get me wrong but there are some really lazy officers and pcso's if any they are the ones who need to go first :)

We all know the station CAT!

bullman4657 wrote:I hope ypu are right. We loose 100 PCSO's per year naturaly although some of them to the regs. Fingers crossed we all stay because despite what some people say most of us do a great job!!!!!!!
Fully Trained On the Beat Fighting Crime

mike norris
Registered Member
Registered Member

Post by mike norris » Wed Oct 20, 2010 4:31 pm

i have always voted conservative . even more so after 12 years of labour .

Felony
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by Felony » Wed Oct 20, 2010 4:58 pm

FELONY :: NO LONGER PART OF THE OF THE PCSO WORLD
[ATTENTION - DRY SARCASM MAY BE EXPERIENCED]

xbob89
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by xbob89 » Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:14 pm

"The men and women in charge of staplers and paperclips that carry a warrant badge but sit in an office all day for starters"

Well, an easy way to sort them is to put them back on the beat.....

tnpmonkey
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by tnpmonkey » Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:48 pm

its always the harder workers that suffer.

I bet my job that stations will still have warranted officers sat behind desks etc

It will be the likes of us, out on the street, that suffer the most.

4% every year yet Sky News just said the Police cut equals 20% in total over 4 years, exactly what Kent Police were planning for.

For Kent this means that 1,000 staff and 460 constable jobs will go. That is what the CC has said.

Lemmy
Registered Member
Registered Member

Post by Lemmy » Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:53 pm

I feared a lot worse than that. The worrying bit is each force can cut as they wish etc and as previously stated D&C have not factored our wages into their financial forcast.

I reckon most will be ok that 'cut' should be able to be accomodated within natural wastage for most forces, if not then you should assume that your force really does not want PCSO's.

I'll get me coat and P45 then !!
Lifes a bomber

Policeymans
Official Member
Official Member

Post by Policeymans » Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:56 pm

xbob89 wrote:"The men and women in charge of staplers and paperclips that carry a warrant badge but sit in an office all day for starters"

Well, an easy way to sort them is to put them back on the beat.....

Exactly my friend. They can be easily replaced with civilians on a fraction of the wage. More visable PC's, less wasted powers. Everyone's a winner.

As for the cuts, pleasently surprised. 16% is much better reading than 25%. Who knows? Perhaps we'll survive after all.
BRING BACK BRIAN

Policeymans
Official Member
Official Member

Post by Policeymans » Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:57 pm

tnpmonkey wrote:its always the harder workers that suffer.

I bet my job that stations will still have warranted officers sat behind desks etc

It will be the likes of us, out on the street, that suffer the most.

4% every year yet Sky News just said the Police cut equals 20% in total over 4 years, exactly what Kent Police were planning for.

For Kent this means that 1,000 staff and 460 constable jobs will go. That is what the CC has said.

I'd assume over 4 years natural wastage could account for most of that. You'd like to think so wouldn't you?
BRING BACK BRIAN

Policeymans
Official Member
Official Member

Post by Policeymans » Wed Oct 20, 2010 6:10 pm

Forgive me for triple posting but the one thing that annoys me about these budget cuts is that Britain's 'Overseas Aid Budget' is being INCREASED by another £4bn to bring it to nearly £12bn in the next four years.

WHY are we insisting on handing out billions to other countries when our own is in such a mess? We've only just decided (about 15 years too late) to stop giving over £50 million a year to CHINA in aid money. China - An emerging world superpower whose economy urinates all over ours at the moment.

We've even been giving Russia handouts for some reason.

It's an absolute joke. In times of financial turmoil like we're in now we need to forget about the rest of the world and concentrate on making life right for number one. Whether that's getting involved in other people's wars or handing out ridiculous aid settlements like the ones mentioned above.

Bloody ludicrous. Rant over.

:sljo:
BRING BACK BRIAN

Big Brother
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Examiner: XIII

Post by Big Brother » Wed Oct 20, 2010 6:28 pm

tnpmonkey wrote: 4% every year yet Sky News just said the Police cut equals 20% in total over 4 years

No it doesn't. It equals 16%.
Big brother is watching you.

typecastboy
Gold Elite Legion
Gold Elite Legion
Sacred: 'Warrior'

Post by typecastboy » Wed Oct 20, 2010 7:04 pm

bren wrote:I find it incredible that ANYBODY employed in the public sector, especially people posting on this site, have voted conservative.

Very noble of people to want to get the deficit down, but no consolation when you are one of the thousands dumped on the dole as a result of the cuts. I do believe Police officers and staff, including PCSO's, may suffer.

Remember, the banks got us into this mess, along with the help of piss poor financial regulation. Our manufacturing industry is non - existent (a legacy of the Thatcher years), hence our reliance on the public sector for employment.

The only possible good thing to come out of these cuts is that the current condem goverment will effectively be sealing its own fate - there is no need to put this many on the dole in such a short space of time.
No, the labour government got us into this mess, the banks just contributed to it.
Nov 2008 - Day 2 Fitness/Medical - Passed
Jan 2009 - Start Training in Sidcup
Mar 2009 - On Borough

SINGLE PATROL IS THE WAY FORWARD

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic