Burnley PCSO quits after being attacked

PCSO stuff ONLY: Burning issues, high profile questions or cases that have been highlighted in national or local news, let's talk about them IN HERE! A link to the item would be great where possible.

Moderator: national-PCSOs

falkor
Navigator
Navigator
Alignment: 'Xevious'

Burnley PCSO quits after being attacked

Post by falkor » Fri Jan 14, 2011 10:27 am

Imageby Wendy Barlow | Wednesday 12th January 2011
A POLICE community support officer quit his job after he was attacked while on a night out in Burnley, a court heard.

Marcus Locke was off-duty when he accidentally bumped into Declan McKenna, 19, in a doorway last April.

McKenna and his accomplice Peter Denwood, 20, then launched an attack, Burnley Crown Court heard.

Mr Locke suffered a broken nose, cuts and abrasions.

He underwent surgery on his nose, suffered dizzy spells, headaches and post-concussion syndrome and eventually resigned from his post.
McKenna, of Alma Street, and Denwood, of Garden Street, both Padiham, admitted inflicting grievous bodily harm. They each received 40 weeks in jail, suspended for 18 months, with 120 hours unpaid work.

They must each pay £250 costs and £750 compensation.

Nigel Booth, prosecuting, said that McKenna was immediately aggressive after he accidentally collided with him by a doorway in Burnley town centre.

Mr Locke thought he was about to be attacked, pushed Denwood aside and told him to leave it.

Denwood then struck him twice and the victim ended up on the ground where he was attacked.

ScaredMETpcso
Banned Member
Sacred: 'Dragoon'

Re: Burnley PCSO quits after being attacked

Post by ScaredMETpcso » Fri Jan 14, 2011 7:19 pm

so basically he wasn't attacked cos he was a 'pcso' or recoignised but because he barged someone in a doorway lol

typecastboy
Gold Elite Legion
Gold Elite Legion
Sacred: 'Warrior'

Post by typecastboy » Sat Jan 15, 2011 11:38 pm

Why would he quit, what has it got to do with his job? Did it mean he lost all his self confidence? Seems a bit bizarre.
Nov 2008 - Day 2 Fitness/Medical - Passed
Jan 2009 - Start Training in Sidcup
Mar 2009 - On Borough

SINGLE PATROL IS THE WAY FORWARD

steve999
Elite Legion
Elite Legion

Post by steve999 » Sun Jan 16, 2011 10:21 am

He must have known the person during the course of his job as the local paper headline states 'Burnley PCSO quits after being attacked'. Why else would they publish the story if it did not mean this.

Andrew B
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by Andrew B » Sun Jan 16, 2011 12:57 pm

As sad as someone being GBH'd is regardless of their profession..if he had aspirations into becoming a regular, or even as a PCSO there is always a risk of being assaulted for obvious reasons...if it puts you off so much then maybe your in the wrong job.
Ex Met PCSO
PC Day 1 Passed 06Sep
PC Day 2 24th February

Current Met PC

typecastboy
Gold Elite Legion
Gold Elite Legion

Post by typecastboy » Sun Jan 16, 2011 7:17 pm

Andrew B wrote:As sad as someone being GBH'd is regardless of their profession..if he had aspirations into becoming a regular, or even as a PCSO there is always a risk of being assaulted for obvious reasons...if it puts you off so much then maybe your in the wrong job.
Agreed
Mar 2009 - On Borough

Bert Moffat
Elite Legion
Elite Legion

Post by Bert Moffat » Sun Jan 16, 2011 8:37 pm

I find these comments a bit harsh when we don't know the whole story.

Some of you go on about misjudging the role and criticising the job without any knowledge of what the role does - is that not what some of you are guilty of here.

Here is another report from the local rag...

9:26am Wednesday 12th January 2011
http://www.burnleycitizen.co.uk/news/bu ... d/?ref=rss

A POLICE community support officer quit his job after he was attacked while on a night out in Burnley, a court heard.

Marcus Locke was off-duty when he accidentally bumped into Declan McKenna, 19, in a doorway last April.

McKenna and his accomplice Peter Denwood, 20, then launched an attack, Burnley Crown Court heard.

Mr Locke suffered a broken nose, cuts and abrasions.

He underwent surgery on his nose, suffered dizzy spells, headaches and post-concussion syndrome and eventually resigned from his post.

McKenna, of Alma Street, and Denwood, of Garden Street, both Padiham, admitted inflicting grievous bodily harm. They each received 40 weeks in jail, suspended for 18 months, with 120 hours unpaid work.

They must each pay £250 costs and £750 compensation.

Nigel Booth, prosecuting, said that McKenna was immediately aggressive after he accidentally collided with him by a doorway in Burnley town centre.

Mr Locke thought he was about to be attacked, pushed Denwood aside and told him to leave it.

Denwood then struck him twice and the victim ended up on the ground where he was attacked.

Denwood told police he had had too much to drink and had ended up 'scrapping' on the floor after he was nudged and words were exchanged.

The prosecutor said McKenna said he had been in a scuffle and exchanged punches. That was all he could remember.

Mr Booth told the court Mr Locke had been frightened for his girlfriend during the trouble as he could not defend her. She had intervened to try and protect him and had been hit.

Mr Booth added: “He says his confidence went.

Eventually, he resigned as he was not able to perform his role as a police community support officer.
That was a job which he loved.”

typecastboy
Gold Elite Legion
Gold Elite Legion

Post by typecastboy » Mon Jan 17, 2011 8:07 pm

I stand by what I said, or rather agreed with. If this unfortunate situation has frightened him from doing his job, then he's in the wrong job.
Mar 2009 - On Borough

xbob89
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by xbob89 » Mon Jan 17, 2011 9:25 pm

It could happen to anyone actually.
In fairness he is just a lad and I feel sorry for him...

steve999
Elite Legion
Elite Legion

Post by steve999 » Mon Jan 17, 2011 11:48 pm

typecastboy wrote:I stand by what I said, or rather agreed with. If this unfortunate situation has frightened him from doing his job, then he's in the wrong job.
I don't agree with your thoughts here as not all PCSOs do what you do on a daily basis. You seem to deal with people at the high end of the scale of confrontation, many deal with the public at the lower end where their job description fits in better.

steven
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by steven » Tue Jan 18, 2011 7:36 pm

To be fair, the effects of a violent assault when you are unprepared for it can be traumatic. It's one thing to take a smack in the face but to still be attacked while you are on the floor is shocking. As a young lad, maybe he hasn't experienced violence like that before and maybe that's why it's had such an effect.

I think the cowardly scum that did this should have got more punishment.
A dream is a goal without a plan.

Gualsa
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by Gualsa » Wed Jan 19, 2011 12:52 am

steve999 wrote:
typecastboy wrote:I stand by what I said, or rather agreed with. If this unfortunate situation has frightened him from doing his job, then he's in the wrong job.
I don't agree with your thoughts here as not all PCSOs do what you do on a daily basis. You seem to deal with people at the high end of the scale of confrontation, many deal with the public at the lower end where their job description fits in better.

Fair comment Steve999. I would imagine I would be very shaken up if I ever experienced violence and danger like on TCBs beat. I am usually outside the High School, with the youfs in the park or having tea with frightened little old ladies. Thats my job and I love it. However, there is always the risk that I will bump into Mr not so nice guy and if he decided to smack me up a bit I could not say for sure that I would continue in this job.

Big Brother
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Examiner: XIII

Post by Big Brother » Thu Jan 20, 2011 6:57 am

Being assaulted can seriously knock your confidence, if this lad has suffered from that then him realising and leaving his job is actually a crying shame. I'd have hoped the job would have done more to help him, either with counselling or a transfer to a new role, rather than just letting him quit.
Big brother is watching you.

Big-Si
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by Big-Si » Fri Jan 21, 2011 6:44 pm

I feel quite sorry for the lad.

I know a PC who got a kicking was off sick for three years and ended up leaving

Without preaching Typecast, have you ever had a kicking or been assaulted? It can have a nasty effect as experienced by this young man.

It can happen to the best
Ex PCSO

PCSO Mickyboy
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by PCSO Mickyboy » Mon Jan 31, 2011 5:44 pm

Big-Si wrote:
I feel quite sorry for the lad.

I know a PC who got a kicking was off sick for three years and ended up leaving

Without preaching Typecast, have you ever had a kicking or been assaulted? It can have a nasty effect as experienced by this young man.

It can happen to the best

This incident will live in his memory for years to come.
Is now a PC

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic