Experienced bobbies axed its the start

PCSO stuff ONLY: Burning issues, high profile questions or cases that have been highlighted in national or local news, let's talk about them IN HERE! A link to the item would be great where possible.

Moderator: national-PCSOs

plum
Gold Committee Member
Gold Committee Member
Class: 'Undead Hunter'

Experienced bobbies axed its the start

Post by plum » Sun Apr 03, 2011 12:17 pm

http://www.iwcp.co.uk/news/news/experie ... 38034.aspx

Takern from local newspaper for the Isle Of Wight.

THE Island will lose some of its most experienced police officers in a decision blasted as shameful by one of those axed.
As details of the future of Island policing emerged, Cowes learned it is losing a much respected officer and this week experienced the indefinite closure of its police station to the public.
PC Mark O’Sullivan, who for the last 26 years of his 36-year career has been based at Cowes, was given 28 days' notice.
PC Kevin O’Mahoney, a Sandown Bay area officer with more than 30 years' experience, is also to be axed under police employment rules, which allow forces not to renew the 12-month contracts of officers with more than 30 years service.
PC O’Sullivan, who was recognised for services to the community by the Lord Lieutenant and has several commendations for bravery, said: "What is happening to me and the police station has left the community feeling let down.
He said Island superintendent Norman Mellors fought to keep him and PC O’Mahoney, but accused mainland bosses of only being concerned by numbers on spreadsheets.
"This is probably one of the worst decisions I have come across in my career. It’s an awful decision," he said.
Sarah Probert, co-ordinator of the Cowes Autistic Spectrum Disorder group, said PC O’Sullivan was instrumental in improving relations between the police and those with autism and their families.
"This is senseless. It is a backward step to turn your back on community groups, minorities and vulnerable people," she said.
Neighbourhood Watch co-ordinator Dr Michael Boll said he was incandescent about the decision, while mayor Cllr Alan Wells said he had written to the chief constable to raise concerns.
"He has made a massive difference in reducing petty crime and anti-social behaviour. He will be a great loss," he said.
Supt Mellors said officers on a 30-plus scheme, such as PC O’Sullivan and O’Mahoney, were subject to annual review and a business case had to be made to retain them.
He said their departure was not related to the need to save £20million, but the lack of vacancies on the Island and a number of younger officers waiting to serve on the Island.
If you choose to swim in the swamp with the crocodiles
You only have yourself to blame if you get bittern

typecastboy
Gold Elite Legion
Gold Elite Legion
Sacred: 'Warrior'

Re: Experienced bobbies axed its the start

Post by typecastboy » Sun Apr 03, 2011 12:36 pm

Sorry he's lost his job, but he has been there for 36 years, about time he let someone else have a go.
Nov 2008 - Day 2 Fitness/Medical - Passed
Jan 2009 - Start Training in Sidcup
Mar 2009 - On Borough

SINGLE PATROL IS THE WAY FORWARD

Bert Moffat
Elite Legion
Elite Legion

Post by Bert Moffat » Sun Apr 03, 2011 12:54 pm

Why?

Let's say you leave school at 16 yrs and work until you are 65 yrs old - that is a span of 49 years!

Why should he move over just to "let someone else have a go"?

plum
Gold Committee Member
Gold Committee Member

Post by plum » Sun Apr 03, 2011 1:22 pm

typecastboy wrote:Sorry he's lost his job, but he has been there for 36 years, about time he let someone else have a go.

Someone like you may be !!!!! :slzip:

Hysteria
Elite Member
Elite Member
Class: 'Night Summoner'
Alignment: 'Vampire'

Post by Hysteria » Sun Apr 03, 2011 1:32 pm

typecastboy wrote:Sorry he's lost his job, but he has been there for 36 years, about time he let someone else have a go.

Thats 36 years of valuable EXPERIENCE thrown on the scrap heap just so they can save a few quid , he is probably going to be replaced by someone from out of the area and who has no local knowledge and who has no interest in the projects started by this officer .

typecastboy
Gold Elite Legion
Gold Elite Legion

Post by typecastboy » Sun Apr 03, 2011 2:04 pm

Well, I understand his knowledge/exeprience etc, but he's done 36 years, there are lots of us/you that want to join but can't. 30 plus scheme has been axed to cut numbers. Why should he be any different.

And, Mr Whistling Plum, I have put my papers in, but don't really care whether I do it or not, I'm happy as I am. I may even withdraw them. I have many colleagues that are desperate to get in, they need a shot and for the time-being, that's the only way.
Mar 2009 - On Borough

Bert Moffat
Elite Legion
Elite Legion

Post by Bert Moffat » Sun Apr 03, 2011 2:38 pm

"Need a go", "have a shot"?

It's not a game TCB.

plum
Gold Committee Member
Gold Committee Member

Post by plum » Sun Apr 03, 2011 2:46 pm

typecastboy wrote:Well, I understand his knowledge/exeprience etc, but he's done 36 years, there are lots of us/you that want to join but can't. 30 plus scheme has been axed to cut numbers. Why should he be any different.

And, Mr Whistling Plum, I have put my papers in, but don't really care whether I do it or not, I'm happy as I am. I may even withdraw them. I have many colleagues that are desperate to get in, they need a shot and for the time-being, that's the only way.

so why waste the job time and money puting your papers in then if you dont even want the job . :slbx:

working on along that line , what if this cop is replaced by a wet behind the ears wana be cop who then decides its not for him
and then walks . :sljo: yet more waste

I bet the public would rather kept what they have :sltgu:

you and your pals and( me) are no replacement for a cop with his knowlededge and life exprience priceless :sldv:

typecastboy
Gold Elite Legion
Gold Elite Legion

Post by typecastboy » Sun Apr 03, 2011 3:10 pm

Bert Moffat wrote:"Need a go", "have a shot"?

It's not a game TCB.
Bert, your comments are getting as ridiculous as some of your new best friend Xbob, give it a rest111
Mar 2009 - On Borough

Bert Moffat
Elite Legion
Elite Legion

Post by Bert Moffat » Sun Apr 03, 2011 3:18 pm

TCB, it's not my comments that are ridiculous - we lost our most experienced firearms instructor because of this.

He was not only a great cop, but one of our few remaining snipers and probably our most experienced tacad.

Guess where he works now - MODplod.

Never mind, going by your argument - we are better off without his skills and experience as we now have a young, inexperienced proby in his place.

typecastboy
Gold Elite Legion
Gold Elite Legion

Post by typecastboy » Sun Apr 03, 2011 4:24 pm

Bert Moffat wrote:TCB, it's not my comments that are ridiculous - we lost our most experienced firearms instructor because of this.

He was not only a great cop, but one of our few remaining snipers and probably our most experienced tacad.

Guess where he works now - MODplod.

Never mind, going by your argument - we are better off without his skills and experience as we now have a young, inexperienced proby in his place.
I understand both sides of the argument, and of course it's a shame when you lose experienced officers. We will be losing our borough commander due to this, and he is the best thing that has ever happened to our borough, but reality is, he's done about 35 years.

If we want new people in the forces, then unfortunately people who have been here in excess of thirty years have to move on and take that big pension that they've built up. Otherwise, there will be no moving up the ranks and no new "probys" as you like to call them.
Mar 2009 - On Borough

plum
Gold Committee Member
Gold Committee Member

Post by plum » Sun Apr 03, 2011 4:44 pm

Now that's just what my force is going to do

We will keep that valuable experience within the force and for the next 4 years ( so we have been told)
that all police officers vacancy's will be filled from within the force

that means squads disbanded, CID back in uniform,

Cops who get a cops wage , out on the streets dong a cops job

SMTs trimmed , Senior officers posts not filled

and 800+ support staff posts to go over the next 4 years

And that's I think is a better way of doing things
why bring in new costs to the pay roll when you already have the skills in place

and yes that does mean our (p)CSOs are blocked from progressing into the warrant ranks in the near future
but its better than not having a job

Bert Moffat
Elite Legion
Elite Legion

Post by Bert Moffat » Sun Apr 03, 2011 5:56 pm

typecastboy wrote:If we want new people in the forces, then unfortunately people who have been here in excess of thirty years have to move on and take that big pension that they've built up. Otherwise, there will be no moving up the ranks and no new "probys" as you like to call them.
Natural wastage allows for new recruits and promotion.

typecastboy
Gold Elite Legion
Gold Elite Legion

Post by typecastboy » Sun Apr 03, 2011 10:31 pm

Bert Moffat wrote:
typecastboy wrote:If we want new people in the forces, then unfortunately people who have been here in excess of thirty years have to move on and take that big pension that they've built up. Otherwise, there will be no moving up the ranks and no new "probys" as you like to call them.
Natural wastage allows for new recruits and promotion.
Yes to a degree, but not enough, hence why they are doing it. They are not doing it just to piss us off you know, there is a reason behind it.
Mar 2009 - On Borough

Bert Moffat
Elite Legion
Elite Legion

Post by Bert Moffat » Sun Apr 03, 2011 11:13 pm

typecastboy wrote:.. there is a reason behind it.
Yep, to save money.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic