Kent Police

PCSO stuff ONLY: Burning issues, high profile questions or cases that have been highlighted in national or local news, let's talk about them IN HERE! A link to the item would be great where possible.

Moderator: national-PCSOs

steve999
Elite Legion
Elite Legion

Kent Police

Post by steve999 » Sun Nov 20, 2011 10:50 pm

Q:What does this mean in simple language?
Kent Police has more than tripled the size of its neigbourhood teams, after pledging to protect 'front line' policing from huge budget cuts.

Neighbourhood officers now total more than 800 sergeants and constables – up from 236.

Plans for the increase were first unveiled in February, when Kent Police confirmed it would be cutting around 1,500 officers and staff.

The force needs to slash 20% – a total of £53m – from its budget over the next four years.

At the time the cuts were announced, Chief Constable Ian Learmonth said: "I'm determined that front line policing is prioritised as part of our restructuring plans.

"This will provide a quicker and more efficient response to persistent policing problems, helping us get it right first time, working with local people to ensure crime and disorder are effectively tackled."

Kent Police says neighbourhood policing "provides a visible local policing service to meet the needs of our communities".

As well as police officers, teams include police community support officers, special constables, council wardens and volunteers.

They work closely with residents, businesses and community groups to address local problems, such as anti-social behaviour.
A:Response officers working from SNT stations.

dingdangdo
Banned Member

Re: Kent Police

Post by dingdangdo » Sun Nov 20, 2011 11:02 pm

They've got to come from somewhere - I call it juggling....

Felony
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by Felony » Sun Nov 20, 2011 11:15 pm

All police officers without a "Standard" driving ticket are now listed as neighbourhood officers... they are still responding to calls as normal.

It's all just a publicity stunt. I give it 6 months before it changes again.
FELONY :: NO LONGER PART OF THE OF THE PCSO WORLD
[ATTENTION - DRY SARCASM MAY BE EXPERIENCED]

PI & GI
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by PI & GI » Mon Nov 21, 2011 12:34 am

I think this sort of spiel from cc's is laughable, as they souund like politicians, I suppose they are in a way lol. I recon that all cc''s do a course in public bs talk just like politicians do.
WHO LOVES YA BABY! (KOJAK)

dingdangdo
Banned Member

Post by dingdangdo » Mon Nov 21, 2011 11:46 pm

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-kent-15816680

Kent policing frontline 'just moved around'

Creating more neighbourhood officers to protect frontline policing in Kent from £53m budget cuts has been criticised as a "smoke and mirrors" exercise.

Kent Police said a reorganisation which came into force last week put more than 550 officers into neighbourhood teams.

"We have looked at all our staff and made sure we put them where we think we will get the best return," said Chief Constable Ian Learmonth.

But Kent Police Federation said the frontline had just been moved around.

Chairman Ian Pointon said it was "smoke and mirrors".

"This has taken people from one frontline post and put them into another," he said.

"People who do undercover work, surveillance work, people who deal with domestic violence and people who monitor sex offenders are all on the frontline of policing.

"The public needs to know the truth and the truth is you only get one thing for less and that is less."

Cuts on target
Kent Police said in July 2010 it would need to reduce its headcount by 500 police officers and 1,000 civilian support staff to make 20% savings - £53m - over four years.

Last month Mr Learmonth said the cuts were on target and 191 police officer posts and 301 staff posts had been lost so far.

Neighbourhood officers are assigned to communities within the 13 Kent Police districts. Duties include walking the beat and gathering information from local people.

The reorganisation has increased neighbourhood officers from 43 sergeants to 125, and 193 constables to 677.

For example, Det Sgt Deborah Summersett has transferred from the training college to Gravesham neighbourhood team and Insp Jason Wedlock, who was the staff officer for the assistant chief constable, is now leading the Folkestone neighbourhood team.

"We have reorganised the force to put the emphasis where the public tell me there is greater need," said Mr Learmonth.

"That means using the police officers we have got in a different way.

"We have actually reduced the number of officers who go the the immediate calls but we have changed the way neighbourhoods work.

"They now carry a far heavier workload - they will deal with incidents from cradle to grave."

robber_roo
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by robber_roo » Sun Nov 27, 2011 10:34 am

Only two weeks in but this doesn't seem to be working. PCSO's are being used differently from section to section. The ones that 'love' the new model are crewing with PC's, going out in vehicles and getting involved with more than they should. These are the 'pretend' police. The ones that don't are flying blind, no direction and feeling like spare parts. The Sgts don't know what to do with them so leave them to do whatever.
In two weeks i have been called up zero times !!! Unreal.

There is a feeling of unrest and it feels like the role is being 'wound down'. :(

Still, only been a few weeks but people are definately looking and feeling lost. Foot patrol doesn't exist as there is now a vehicle board in neighbourhood and the PCSO's can grab a car without any questioning it.

In my opinion it won't be long before ASB rises.

Just my thoughts.

Any opinions from other Kent PCSO's ?

maximart
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by maximart » Sun Nov 27, 2011 4:47 pm

Very interesting reading as my force have done exactly the opposite and moved 95% of Police Officers off SNT and on to incident resolution (reactive) or local investigation.

We are now run off our feet as not only do we have our own work to do but are having to carry out many of the tasks that were previously carried out by PC's such as collecting endless amounts of cctv and taking statements, scene guarding, helping out with directing traffic at Rtc's etc.

I dont mind carrying out these additional tasks and find some of them enjoyable but the local councillors, youth leaders and school teachers etc are questioning why Im not as visible as I used to be and not able to attend meetings etc.

The town I work in has a population of 30000 but most evenings is "policed" by just 2 PCSO's and if we have to call for back up it comes from the next big town which is 10 miles away.
So far we have been fairly lucky in that nothing major has gone wrong but I am a lot more reluctant to become involved in dealing with groups of drunken youths etc than I was when we had Police Officers based in the town.

steve999
Elite Legion
Elite Legion

Post by steve999 » Sun Nov 27, 2011 6:21 pm

In two weeks i have been called up zero times !!!
anthill wrote:Guys. for the record - i don't agree with your banning of Catweazle. I've found the back and forth banter entertaining, as both contributors are clearly intelligent and have something to say. This is in contrast to some of the other contributer's one line comments.
Unreal.

There is a feeling of unrest and it feels like the role is being 'wound

I fully agree with you, same in my force, PCSOs just plodding along and Sgt and Insp not bothered what they do. Things are changing next year and everyone is waiting to see what is happening. We are getting the impression that SMT are running things down and cutting numbers. Are they preparing for 2013 now.

anthill
Executive Officer
Executive Officer

Post by anthill » Sun Nov 27, 2011 11:06 pm

Steve999, I get the impression from this and most of your other posts that the day PCSO's are gone can't come quick enough for you! And. . . why's my quote from the other thread in the middle of this one?
Last edited by anthill on Mon Nov 28, 2011 6:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sc24
Committee Member
Committee Member
Class: 'Holy Avenger'
Alignment: 'Shadow'
Sacred: 'Priest'

Post by sc24 » Sun Nov 27, 2011 11:41 pm

anthill wrote:I get the impression from this and most of your other posts that the day PCSO's are gone can't come quick enough for you! And. . . why's my quote from the other thread in the middle of this one?
I think you will find that this is just Steve999's view and not the vast majority. I for one hope that we will survive past 2013 and there is nothing to say that we won't. Afterall nobody knows what is around the corner. Unless they have started issuing crystal balls with the uniform now :slww:
This job is about people, not headlines

steve999
Elite Legion
Elite Legion

Post by steve999 » Tue Nov 29, 2011 8:13 am

I am only stating facts about PCSOs that are happening in my force. A lot of it is not my view, it is what is happening on the ground.

Sgt & Insp. doing nothing to motivate PCSOs has got nothing to do with my views :slsa: PCSOS can't take statements, crime a job, deal with a crime or detain someone has got nothing to do with me. It is this utter nonsense that makes this role unworkable and expensive to run.

anthill
Executive Officer
Executive Officer

Post by anthill » Wed Nov 30, 2011 7:03 pm

Well I do all the things that you say yours can't. Bit unrealistic to base your argument based upon just what you know about your own PCSO's.

steve999
Elite Legion
Elite Legion

Post by steve999 » Wed Nov 30, 2011 8:48 pm

Well I do all the things that you say yours can't. Bit unrealistic to base your argument based upon just what you know about your own PCSO's.
Hmmmmmmmm....................I am puzzled by this, I will make it up then :slluv:

anthill
Executive Officer
Executive Officer

Post by anthill » Thu Dec 01, 2011 1:08 pm

Quite right, for all the validity your blinkered views hold . . . you may as well make it up.

steve999
Elite Legion
Elite Legion

Post by steve999 » Thu Dec 01, 2011 4:58 pm

Blinkered views, you must be back on the drink again!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic