rebrand police community support officers in South Yorkshire

PCSO stuff ONLY: Burning issues, high profile questions or cases that have been highlighted in national or local news, let's talk about them IN HERE! A link to the item would be great where possible.

Moderator: national-PCSOs

falkor
Navigator
Navigator
Alignment: 'Xevious'

rebrand police community support officers in South Yorkshire

Post by falkor » Thu Apr 12, 2012 9:57 pm

Blunkett concern over PCSO plan
Published on Wednesday 11 April 2012 20:15 Rutland and Stamford
Former Home Secretary David Blunkett has raised concerns about proposals to rebrand police community support officers in South Yorkshire.

Under the plans being considered in the region, PCSOs will become the "first line of contact" for the public, with the title local beat officer (LBO).

Regular officers would be grouped into so-called "taskable teams" available to deal with serious incidents, with PCSOs carrying out all grassroots work on the streets.

Former Home Secretary David Blunkett, who introduced PCSOs, urged caution. He said: "Community support officers are intended to be part of neighbourhood beat teams and not a replacement for them. It would be deeply regrettable if we reverted to the Z-Cars era of flying squads and concentration on reaction rather than prevention.

"We learnt the lessons from that, which is why from the mid-1990s to the present time we have seen such a dramatic drop in crime."

Mr Blunkett, MP for Sheffield Brightside and Hillsborough, added: "I certainly would not be against PCSOs being given additional powers, but as part of neighbourhood policing, where warranted officers will always be required to conduct arrests, develop good scientific forensic investigations and build the kind of community policing which engages those living there, rather than seeing the police as a crisis force only.

"However, the new chief constable and those overseeing the police service are faced with horrendous cuts imposed by the coalition government and there will undoubtedly have to be drastic measures to meet that financial challenge."

Neil Bowles, chairman of the South Yorkshire Police Federation, representing regular officers, told the Yorkshire Post: "This is just one more of the unintended consequences of the Government's budget cuts, and amounts to the removal of police officers from the streets. Warranted officers should be out there, visible.

"We would oppose the proliferation of powers to PCSOs and would have concerns over accountability if further

Arthur ASCII
Elite Legion
Elite Legion

Re: rebrand police community support officers in South Yorks

Post by Arthur ASCII » Fri Apr 13, 2012 5:31 am

IMHO This is merely an execise to "rubber stamp" a process that's been happening for years now anyway.

At least South Yorks are being honest about it.
UNISON - Fighting your corner. Join us HERE
ImageImageImageImage

THEdarkKNIGHT
Official Member
Official Member
Class: 'Holy Avenger'
Alignment: 'Thunder'
Sacred: 'Warrior'

Post by THEdarkKNIGHT » Fri Apr 13, 2012 8:14 am

this has slowly been happening over the years i have been a pcso, in the west mids now with continuous improvement all that’s going to be left on some n.h is 1 pc and 2 pcsos, who do you think will be doing all the donkey work. no change there then.
THERE CAN BE ONLY ONE

falkor
Navigator
Navigator
Alignment: 'Xevious'

Post by falkor » Fri Apr 13, 2012 9:10 am

true and THE GUARDIAN have done a massive article on this too
The Police Federation and the former home secretary David Blunkett, who introduced PCSOs when Labour was in power, said it risked limiting regular officers to confrontational duties only.

Blunkett, who is MP for Sheffield Brightside and Hillsborough, said: "Community support officers are intended to be part of the neighbourhood beat teams and not a replacement for them. It would be deeply regrettable if we reverted to the Z-Cars era of flying squads and concentration on reaction, rather than prevention."
I agree, PCSOs should be ON neighbourhood beat teams and not a replacement for them

Are we going to see neighbourhood beat teams without PCs now then? :slhuh: not a good idea and very short sighted
Chief inspector Paul Varley told the Yorkshire Post it was not about reducing staffing, but redeploying them differently. "Ever since we introduced PCSOs, they have been the visible face of the police," he said. "We are just making it official. We are withdrawing warranted officers back slightly, but they can be tasked to deal with issues that need their warranted powers.

"The role of PCs and PCSOs are changing, but the public is unlikely to perceive this."
so if the PCSOs are taking on more and having more responsibility where is their PAY RISE? if this is what South Yorkshire Police want they should PAY the PCSOs for that enhanced role. oh don't tell me. it's all about saving money so that won't happen? :slna:

GlynB
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by GlynB » Fri Apr 13, 2012 1:57 pm

Regrettably, the media reaction to this report is sensational in the extreme.

With a 20% cut in police budgets there is bound to be a re-evaluation of the way resources are deployed . In practical terms PCSOs are, in many cases, the only resource conducting routine foot/cycle patrol. Police officers in the neighbourhood teams are called upon to deal with those situations which require their powers and skills and consequently they have little time for routine or proactive work.

It is therefore likely that these proposals regularise a situation that already exists her in SYP and that, I would imagine, many of you can recognise in your own force.

It seems evident from some of the comments i have heard and read that many commentators have not read the paper that was presented to SY Police authority today. It is a public document so I would suggest that those who have an interest take a look at this link

http://meetings.southyorks.gov.uk/docum ... .pdf?zTS=A
Glyn Boyington

PC50
Official Member
Official Member

Post by PC50 » Fri Apr 13, 2012 6:51 pm

I don't quite understand the news... What exactly is new here? Maybe it's different elsewhere but We've been the only regular on street presence for years now, it's half the reason the role was invented. Apart from a couple of Neighbourhood officers that work with us occasionly I haven't seen a constable on the beat since I started over 7 years ago. All the bobbies either work response in cars or they're held up in some back office looking toward their pension. So what exactly is the story here?

Nice that blunkett would see more powers but how about they get all the the CC's to designate their PCSO's with the many non-standard powers already available which many forces still do not use first?

tonkertoy
Executive Officer
Executive Officer

Post by tonkertoy » Fri Apr 13, 2012 7:11 pm

PC50 wrote:I don't quite understand the news... What exactly is new here? Maybe it's different elsewhere but We've been the only regular on street presence for years now, it's half the reason the role was invented. Apart from a couple of Neighbourhood officers that work with us occasionly I haven't seen a constable on the beat since I started over 7 years ago. All the bobbies either work response in cars or they're held up in some back office looking toward their pension. So what exactly is the story here?

Nice that blunkett would see more powers but how about they get all the the CC's to designate their PCSO's with the many non-standard powers already available which many forces still do not use first?
I agree, I work from a Policing Hub, I cannot remember the last time i saw a "Bobby on the Beat", the only time you see one, is when they walk into Town to buy their lunch !!!
Even when the Sworn Officers have not got a car they refuse to walk the "Beat", they either hide away in the Nick, or sit hogging the Computers, pretending to be busy, or you see them carrying around the same sheet of paper, again to look busy !!!!
PCSO's are the only Officers that are out being the "Public Face of Policing".
Out walking the "Beat", preventing Crime.
SWORN Officers have moved away from Preventive Policing to only providing Responsive Policing, BIG mistake, but in a way it's their doing, they refuse to go out and engage with the Public, in many cases a lot of them don't know how to speak with members of the Public !!!!

anthill
Executive Officer
Executive Officer

Post by anthill » Fri Apr 13, 2012 8:25 pm

A complete 'non' story in my opinion. Typically the fed came out with their usual dinosaur view - shame they don't show a little more support to members of the Police team!

mj12cz
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Post by mj12cz » Fri Apr 13, 2012 10:33 pm

Yeah, this has been mentioned a few times today, I think its the way we are heading sadly... Its started where I work.
"Its a mother beautiful bridge and its going to be there"

Save the cheer leader, save the world.....

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
George Orwell

pcso
Official Member
Official Member

Post by pcso » Sat Apr 14, 2012 10:27 am

I look in amusement when there is no vehicle keys left on the board and the officers left decide to do some paperwork rather than walk out. One of my kins thought that police helmets where now obsolete!

Hudson01
Registered Member
Registered Member

Post by Hudson01 » Sat Apr 14, 2012 2:40 pm

Agree totally, this is just more of the same, its been happening for years and will continue to do so. I too have not yet seen PC's '' on the beat '', they simply do not (and will not) walk the streets ! I have heard officers say this too me, '' Thats your job, we investigate crime '' !!

This is just a public confirmation of what is happening anyway. There is also a different perception as to what is actually '' patrolling '', to the public its an officer (in uniform) walking on his or her two feet around the streets.... to an officer or a Hub Inspector, its a PC in a car going around the '' hot spots ''. Totally different ideas of the same wording.

DOGMA
Executive Officer
Executive Officer
Class: 'Bounty Hunter'
Alignment: 'Shadow'
Sacred: 'Warrior'

Post by DOGMA » Sun Apr 15, 2012 3:41 am

This is amusing. In all my time as a PCSO I only once had a PC come out with me on foot, not 2 miles up the road they complained they were knackered and called a collegue to come and collect them. I have gone through a list of PC's that were on neighbourhood Policing teams that were more interested in doing the jobs the responce officers were doing, flying around arresting people and getting me to do all the work, then claiming it as there own. One actually refused to leave the station if she didnt have a vehicle and once sat on her back side for 8 hours doing nothing. Does it really matter what we are called as long as we can do the job. Im tired of spending a year in an area getting to know people, and build there trust to then be moved to somewhere else. The majority of the public still dont understand our role and if they start to change the name of our role we may as well start again. Im dont know what its like in other forces but where I am, the ammount of PC's has always been low and on most nights they may as well give me cuffs and the rest as im the only one out there, on foot dealing with things my role was never meant to deal with. :slbx:

Arthur ASCII
Elite Legion
Elite Legion

Post by Arthur ASCII » Sun Apr 15, 2012 7:49 am

Spot on Dogma :slcup:
UNISON - Fighting your corner. Join us HERE
ImageImageImageImage

JimmyRiddle
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by JimmyRiddle » Mon Apr 16, 2012 12:17 pm

Arthur ASCII wrote:Spot on Dogma :slcup:
Seconded! We all, some PCs and some MoPs still appreciate the job you do, possibly moreso as I don't see any bobbies wanting to walk around Brixton with no kit and limited powers/perception. You've gotta hand it to them.
Power of arrest for PCSOs for 'as and when' - s24a PACE & common law (i.e. BoP) using s3 CLA 1967

I'm a PCSO, I will WATCH you get your head kicked in (as per force policy)

PI & GI
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by PI & GI » Mon Apr 16, 2012 6:12 pm

Arthur ASCII wrote:IMHO This is merely an execise to "rubber stamp" a process that's been happening for years now anyway.

At least South Yorks are being honest about it.
i agree, in tvp we are more police support officers than community

maybe the head shed are finally waking up ? naaa!
WHO LOVES YA BABY! (KOJAK)

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic