rebrand police community support officers in South Yorkshire

PCSO stuff ONLY: Burning issues, high profile questions or cases that have been highlighted in national or local news, let's talk about them IN HERE! A link to the item would be great where possible.

Moderator: national-PCSOs

PI & GI
Elite Member
Elite Member

Re: rebrand police community support officers in South Yorks

Post by PI & GI » Mon Apr 16, 2012 6:17 pm

DOGMA wrote:This is amusing. In all my time as a PCSO I only once had a PC come out with me on foot, not 2 miles up the road they complained they were knackered and called a collegue to come and collect them. I have gone through a list of PC's that were on neighbourhood Policing teams that were more interested in doing the jobs the responce officers were doing, flying around arresting people and getting me to do all the work, then claiming it as there own. One actually refused to leave the station if she didnt have a vehicle and once sat on her back side for 8 hours doing nothing. Does it really matter what we are called as long as we can do the job. Im tired of spending a year in an area getting to know people, and build there trust to then be moved to somewhere else. The majority of the public still dont understand our role and if they start to change the name of our role we may as well start again. Im dont know what its like in other forces but where I am, the ammount of PC's has always been low and on most nights they may as well give me cuffs and the rest as im the only one out there, on foot dealing with things my role was never meant to deal with. :slbx:
its like you work with me! spot on mate, tis the same for me!
WHO LOVES YA BABY! (KOJAK)

DOGMA
Executive Officer
Executive Officer
Class: 'Bounty Hunter'
Alignment: 'Shadow'
Sacred: 'Warrior'

Post by DOGMA » Wed Apr 18, 2012 3:11 pm

Lol It seems to be the same story for pretty much all of us then. Proves one thing tho, if they got ride of Pcso's tomorrow then there would certainly be a noticable difference. Like PI & GI said, maybe people are starting to wake up, maybe not. But atleast we can be proud of the fact we do a valuable job and that we Can hold the fort when theres no Pc's about. :slcup: :slhat: :slhat:

Arthur ASCII
Elite Legion
Elite Legion

Post by Arthur ASCII » Wed Apr 18, 2012 4:54 pm

Just heard two town centre coppers on Airwaves say they couldn't attend a job on foot because of adverse weather (it's raining).

You couldn't make it up :slroll:
UNISON - Fighting your corner. Join us HERE
ImageImageImageImage

DOGMA
Executive Officer
Executive Officer

Post by DOGMA » Thu Apr 19, 2012 1:18 am

Removed due to below comments
Last edited by DOGMA on Thu Apr 19, 2012 2:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GlynB
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by GlynB » Thu Apr 19, 2012 8:36 am

This started out as a serious topic, primarily about the inaccurate reporting of a report to the South Yorkshire Police Authority.

Whilst it is amusing to hear stories of the behaviour of our colleagues, these do little to enhance public attitude to the service and we should recall that this forum can be and is viewed by a wide variety of people. Those of us who are PCSOs become very defensive when individual apparent failing of PCSOs are raised and yet similar raising of such apparent failing by the occasional police officer has formed part of this thread.

I would ask that people give careful consideration to what is posted on this publicly accessible forum . The service is under sustained scrutiny and attack from many quarters. We have common cause, be we police officer or police staff, so please consider what you post.
Glyn Boyington

Arthur ASCII
Elite Legion
Elite Legion

Post by Arthur ASCII » Thu Apr 19, 2012 1:37 pm

On the other hand, most people are sensible enough to realise that not EVERYTHING in the garden is rosy, and that it is important that message boards are not censored, but reflect honest opinion and fact.

Or should this message board only be a shop window for the Police?
UNISON - Fighting your corner. Join us HERE
ImageImageImageImage

tnpmonkey
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by tnpmonkey » Thu Apr 19, 2012 9:27 pm

been that way for years, I have just moved district to an area that has no neighbourhood PCs, just volume crime PCs, neighbourhood is just PCSOs and a Sgt, complete utter crap tbh

JimmyRiddle
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by JimmyRiddle » Thu Apr 19, 2012 11:56 pm

tnpmonkey wrote:been that way for years, I have just moved district to an area that has no neighbourhood PCs, just volume crime PCs, neighbourhood is just PCSOs and a Sgt, complete utter crap tbh
I didn't think they still had areas with no SNT bobbies? I know there's no real "local bobby" anymore, but to remove them entirely?
Power of arrest for PCSOs for 'as and when' - s24a PACE & common law (i.e. BoP) using s3 CLA 1967

I'm a PCSO, I will WATCH you get your head kicked in (as per force policy)

DOGMA
Executive Officer
Executive Officer

Post by DOGMA » Fri Apr 20, 2012 9:49 pm

Im keeping quiet now incase it offends or allows me to air my personal views or experiences. Its a sad day that a person cannot tell of experiences of what goes on in the real world. In future i shall write any comments through rose tinted spectacles. may I suggest that all the other sites for Specials, PC's and other related sites do the same as they hammer the role of the pcso daily, and yet They are not warned about airing there views. Im truly sorry if my comment offended anyone, I really am. But what happened to freedom of speech, or is speeking the truth no longer allowed. :slra: :slra: :slra:

tonkertoy
Executive Officer
Executive Officer

Post by tonkertoy » Sat Apr 21, 2012 10:05 am

HERE HERE !!! SPEAK YOUR MIND, LET THE TRUTH BE TOLD, OF HOW CRAP POLICING REALLY IS, THE PUBLIC DESERVE TO KNOW !!!!!!! :slra: :slra: :slra: :slra:

falkor
Navigator
Navigator
Alignment: 'Xevious'

Post by falkor » Sat Apr 21, 2012 10:16 am

I doubt that you are "talking to the public" by posting in this forum

remember, the site is broken down into various "forums" in fact, "Front Door" being just one of them

I tried and failed (more than once) to get "Front Door" made into a PUBLIC FORUM. Opposition from members stopped that from happening, we had a poll and the overwhelming votes showed members wanted "Front Door" held as "members only"

So unless Mr Joe Public goes through our Registration Process, he can't see much in "Front Door" that is for sure

I am loathe to disagree with anything GlynB says - so that's my lot for now :slch2:

DOGMA
Executive Officer
Executive Officer

Post by DOGMA » Sun Apr 22, 2012 8:52 pm

JimmyRiddle wrote:
tnpmonkey wrote:been that way for years, I have just moved district to an area that has no neighbourhood PCs, just volume crime PCs, neighbourhood is just PCSOs and a Sgt, complete utter crap tbh
I didn't think they still had areas with no SNT bobbies? I know there's no real "local bobby" anymore, but to remove them entirely?
We have what I think is SNT bobbies but there called NC's now. Although I see mine he always says he will be at a place and time to attend a meeting or function with me but never turns up, then has a string of excuses. Most of the NC's I know just end up being responce officers anyway due to the lack of PC's, which defeats the object. As per usual it works in theory, not in practise.

ninjamonk
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by ninjamonk » Fri Jun 15, 2012 8:27 pm

What's going on here on this subject any more news ? and is it going to be officially rolled out in other forces ?

plum
Gold Committee Member
Gold Committee Member
Class: 'Undead Hunter'

Post by plum » Sat Jun 16, 2012 8:29 am

DOGMA wrote:This is amusing. In all my time as a PCSO I only once had a PC come out with me on foot, not 2 miles up the road they complained they were knackered and called a collegue to come and collect them. I have gone through a list of PC's that were on neighbourhood Policing teams that were more interested in doing the jobs the responce officers were doing, flying around arresting people and getting me to do all the work, then claiming it as there own. One actually refused to leave the station if she didnt have a vehicle and once sat on her back side for 8 hours doing nothing. Does it really matter what we are called as long as we can do the job. Im tired of spending a year in an area getting to know people, and build there trust to then be moved to somewhere else. The majority of the public still dont understand our role and if they start to change the name of our role we may as well start again. Im dont know what its like in other forces but where I am, the ammount of PC's has always been low and on most nights they may as well give me cuffs and the rest as im the only one out there, on foot dealing with things my role was never meant to deal with. :slbx:

Give this chap a pint
spot on
I was thinking this was just at my nick :slcup: :slcup:

I still love the jobI do
but please be honest
the public are not daft
they see who is doing the footwork
day in day out

Most of the MOPS in my area think the cops have already been cut
as they never keep a Sgt or a PC in one area more than a year
we seem to be a machine for folks looking to get the tick in box to move on ASAP

you can spot them a mile off when they come on the team
they want to meet all your contacts
Do a project ( that then they dump on a PCSO once the PR is over)
then next thing they are off again
leaving the PCSO to explain to the locals that
they have gone

We have team posters that we are ment to put up in the area
waste of time
14 pics ,always 2 or 3 out of date as soon as its printed

Litte test
ask your NBM who 10 of his KINs are (without looking at the list)
then ask them ,when did you last speak or meet them
If you choose to swim in the swamp with the crocodiles
You only have yourself to blame if you get bittern

bluecopper
Committee Member
Committee Member
Alignment: 'Thunder'

Post by bluecopper » Sat Jun 16, 2012 9:41 am

This really does seem to be the same countrywide. I can relate to everything all of you have said when it comes to negativity towards our white shirted colleagues. I'm not going to go into details, as I don't want to upset the sensitive ones among you.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic