How long will PCSO's be around for?

PCSO stuff ONLY: Burning issues, high profile questions or cases that have been highlighted in national or local news, let's talk about them IN HERE! A link to the item would be great where possible.

Moderator: national-PCSOs

matt27

How long will PCSO's be around for?

Post by matt27 » Tue May 15, 2012 9:57 pm

Hi

I apologise if this has already been discussed somewhere previously. I have just started my new job as a PCSO and after i found out that all of the PCSO's in my force were given 90 days notice just under 2 years ago before extra funding was secured i was just wondering on what peoples views were on how long the role of a PCSO will be around for?

anthill
Executive Officer
Executive Officer

Re: How long will PCSO's be around for?

Post by anthill » Wed May 16, 2012 5:39 pm

Well I just had a meeting with our Chief and on our present budget - he's not planning any changes to the current level of PCSO up and including 2015. At present we are recruiting having just seen the first bunch go out to area - its all looking quite promising at the moment.

Big Brother
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Examiner: XIII

Post by Big Brother » Wed May 16, 2012 8:04 pm

I don't think we'll go anywhere tbh. I think a lot of PCSOs have managed to carve themselves a niche allowing Chiefs to send cops elsewhere. Yes, everyone is expendable, but it wouldn't be cheap.
Big brother is watching you.

bluecopper
Committee Member
Committee Member
Alignment: 'Thunder'

Post by bluecopper » Thu May 17, 2012 8:12 am

I'll be around from 10-6 today :slsa:

Victor
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Victor » Thu May 17, 2012 11:20 am

bluecopper wrote:I'll be around from 10-6 today :slsa:
Me too! 10-6 today! stay safe. 8)

falkor
Navigator
Navigator
Alignment: 'Xevious'

Post by falkor » Sun May 20, 2012 9:15 am

Let's see who is advertising for PCSOs lately :slred: MET POLICE I 8) MET POLICE II

:slch2: British Transport Police and NOTTS POLICE

:slsm: Devon & Cornwall there are plenty of Police Force's recruiting PCSOs right now so what does that tell you? :slby:

DOGMA
Executive Officer
Executive Officer
Class: 'Bounty Hunter'
Alignment: 'Shadow'
Sacred: 'Warrior'

Post by DOGMA » Thu Jul 05, 2012 1:32 pm

falkor wrote:Let's see who is advertising for PCSOs lately :slred: MET POLICE I 8) MET POLICE II

:slch2: British Transport Police and NOTTS POLICE

:slsm: Devon & Cornwall there are plenty of Police Force's recruiting PCSOs right now so what does that tell you? :slby:
As much as I hope everyones jobs are secure we have never been told a definate at Essex. At first we were told we were safe until after the Olympics but then a DC tripped up last night saying that we will be looking for new jobs when November comes, after this new crime commissioner comes. There are rumours of my force recruting but only to keep up the numbers or they will loose the pcso budget. I really hope were here to stay, but for once it would be nice to be actually told something in stone rather than hearing it through the grape vine.

bluecopper
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by bluecopper » Thu Jul 05, 2012 10:47 pm

I seriously don't think they would cope without us now!

DOGMA
Executive Officer
Executive Officer
Class: 'Bounty Hunter'
Alignment: 'Shadow'
Sacred: 'Warrior'

Post by DOGMA » Fri Jul 06, 2012 12:35 am

bluecopper wrote:I seriously don't think they would cope without us now!
I must agree with you tho mate. Last night for instance. There were 6 of us going to jobs. No Pc's were available at all

ninjamonk
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by ninjamonk » Fri Jul 06, 2012 10:04 am

where i'm based all you here on the radio is Pcso's being called up :)

bluecopper
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by bluecopper » Fri Jul 06, 2012 10:17 am

Yup, pretty much the same here. I'm forever putting up for jobs that nobody else does, and the controller's are always grateful, as often is the duty inspector. They know they can rely on a blue shirt!!

Quite ironic yesterday. 5 PCs were asked to do overtime tonight (Friday) due to some criminal damage actvitity ongoing in an area. They were told if they didn't do overtime then their shift would be changed to 1700-0100. They were all doing their nut, saying that the were refusing to do it. The 3 PCSOs on duty all said "we'll do it", but it was plain clothes work, so we can't.

ninjamonk
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by ninjamonk » Fri Jul 06, 2012 4:19 pm

i think its pretty much universal with pcso's well especially the ones i know ,we just want to do more but hands are tied, but hey thats the nature of our role !!!!

have not got my blue shirt yet but it wont be long now.

maximart
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by maximart » Fri Jul 06, 2012 10:24 pm

I hope you're right but last year so many officers and staff in my force were saying exactly the same thing prior to the force being restructured.
Since then we have lost our dedicated roads policing unit, most snt bobbies, and 75% of firearms licencing staff to name but a few casualties of the cuts.
We also lost about 15% of our PCSO's with more PCSO job losses to come ( although we dont yet know how many )

I would like to think we are here to stay but in all honesty I wont be taking out any loans or using my credit card in a hurry and am saving as much money as possible in case my job goes next year.

I think in the future PCSO's are likely to be employed by the private sector ( G4S etc ) under contract to the local force but the wages and conditions will be nowhere near as generous as we get now.

Sorry if this sounds all doom and gloom :( but Im preparing for the worst whilst still hoping for the best.

bluecopper
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by bluecopper » Sat Jul 07, 2012 12:36 pm

maximart wrote:
I hope you're right but last year so many officers and staff in my force were saying exactly the same thing prior to the force being restructured.
Since then we have lost our dedicated roads policing unit, most snt bobbies, and 75% of firearms licencing staff to name but a few casualties of the cuts.
We also lost about 15% of our PCSO's with more PCSO job losses to come ( although we dont yet know how many )

I would like to think we are here to stay but in all honesty I wont be taking out any loans or using my credit card in a hurry and am saving as much money as possible in case my job goes next year.

I think in the future PCSO's are likely to be employed by the private sector ( G4S etc ) under contract to the local force but the wages and conditions will be nowhere near as generous as we get now.

Sorry if this sounds all doom and gloom :( but Im preparing for the worst whilst still hoping for the best.
Understandable with what you've experienced with the cuts. As Met officer, I am quietly confident, especially with the recruitment going on now. I know they still have to make massive financial cuts, but from my experience they just couldn't do without us. Our response teams are cut to the bone, on some reliefs they are parading no more than 6 people for a large London borough. They rely on us more and more to go to calls, they just couldn't manage if we weren't there.

Time will tell though, watch this space!

Gualsa
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by Gualsa » Sun Jul 08, 2012 11:26 am

ninjamonk wrote:where i'm based all you here on the radio is Pcso's being called up :)
We cant attend priority crime so its amazing how many attempt BOTDs/burglaries/theft from MV suddenly turn into criminal damage so they can send us to it :slhi:
If a job is a bit iffy they wont call it over the radio but P2P us discreetly. We pick up a lot of jobs on area. PCs are often abstracted from area to do football duty or something. They also spend hours in custody and in interviews so often we are left to pick up the pieces. I cant see who will do that if they get rid of us? They cant replace us with PC as that would cost more so they have to keep us. I cant see how it would work otherwise unless they start telling people not to bother calling police for a variety of issues to bring the job load down.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic