PCC Wants Power of Arrest given to PCSO's

PCSO stuff ONLY: Burning issues, high profile questions or cases that have been highlighted in national or local news, let's talk about them IN HERE! A link to the item would be great where possible.

Moderator: national-PCSOs

tonkertoy
Executive Officer
Executive Officer
Posts: 268
Joined: Sun Oct 03, 2004 1:18 pm
Location: Down the WEST of the COUNTRY!

PCC Wants Power of Arrest given to PCSO's

Post by tonkertoy » Sat Jul 07, 2012 6:18 pm

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-18718971


PCSOs 'should be given power of arrest
PCSOs 'should be given power of arrest' says Mike Rumble Mike Rumble is a former detective and businessman from Stourbridge

An independent candidate bidding to become police commissioner for the West Midlands wants police community support officers (PCSO) to have greater powers.

Mike Rumble, a former detective and businessman from Stourbridge, has entered November's election.

Commissioners will be elected in 41 areas across England and Wales and will have power over budgets, policing priorities and chief constables.

Mr Rumble said PCSOs should be able to arrest criminals.

He said: "In the times of austerity that we're facing at the moment with 20% police cuts it makes no sense at all to have a uniformed presence on the streets of the West Midlands who haven't got a power of arrest.

"If they got that power of arrest they'd be able to assist their police colleagues in more operations."

"At the moment the public know they don't have a power of arrest and those that don't abide by the law actually take advantage of that," he added.

Mr Rumble said he had discussed his plans with the Police Federation and said it was "open to the idea".
He is not keen that the force, along with its Surrey counterpart, is looking to bring private firms further into policing.

"It does make sense to free up the officers from backroom operations," Mr Rumble added. "But why do we have to give it to a private security company?

"We need accountability and openness and we're in a position we could do that ourselves.

"Hopefully the contract won't be signed off until after the police and crime commissioner elections and if I am elected I won't sign off that contract."

The commissioner elections are set to be held on 15 November.

User avatar
bluecopper
Committee Member
Committee Member
Posts: 567
Joined: Wed Apr 18, 2012 4:56 pm
Alignment: 'Thunder'

Re: PCC Wants Power of Arrest given to PCSO's

Post by bluecopper » Sat Jul 07, 2012 11:56 pm

Hooray for a common sense approach at long last. Can't see that ever happening though.

User avatar
falkor
Navigator
Navigator
Posts: 5061
Joined: Fri Feb 20, 2004 11:39 am
Alignment: 'Xevious'
Location: Surrey
Contact:

Re: PCC Wants Power of Arrest given to PCSO's

Post by falkor » Sun Jul 08, 2012 10:09 am

but this is a shifting of the goal posts yet again

PCSOs were never at any stage brought in to solve crimes, investigate crimes or make arrests as part of a criminal investigation. We have always been told that PCSOs are the Ears and Eyes of the Police, NON CONFRONTATIONAL
Mr Rumble said PCSOs should be able to arrest criminals
Sure okay but then PCSOs should be paid the same as PCs! If they are going to do a PC's role then let's have the salary too
Mr Rumble said he had discussed his plans with the Police Federation and said it was "open to the idea".

He is not keen that the force, along with its Surrey counterpart, is looking to bring private firms further into policing.

"It does make sense to free up the officers from backroom operations," Mr Rumble added. "But why do we have to give it to a private security company?
The Police Federation are OPEN to the idea? :slch2: hehe yeah I can't believe my ears let alone my eyes

It does make sense to free up the officers from backroom operations, well try telling that to the PCSOs who have been posted to Met Front counters across London in the last FIVE years :sloop: what a laugh

User avatar
Gualsa
Elite Member
Elite Member
Posts: 1223
Joined: Thu Oct 26, 2006 9:11 am
Location: Between a rock and a hard place

Re: PCC Wants Power of Arrest given to PCSO's

Post by Gualsa » Sun Jul 08, 2012 10:38 am

Why do they keep going on about the power of arrest? I rarely need that power EVER! If they want PCSOs to do more time consuming tasks let us take on contemp interviews, deal with priority crime, deal with traffic offences and give us a lot more tickets. All these mentioned can be done without conflict but sure, it may create conflict. Taking away someone's liberty by arresting is surely much more likely to cause conflict than anything else and would surely mean all the extra PPE?

I'm not convinced...

User avatar
bluecopper
Committee Member
Committee Member
Posts: 567
Joined: Wed Apr 18, 2012 4:56 pm
Alignment: 'Thunder'

Re: PCC Wants Power of Arrest given to PCSO's

Post by bluecopper » Sun Jul 08, 2012 12:58 pm

Gualsa wrote:Why do they keep going on about the power of arrest? I rarely need that power EVER! If they want PCSOs to do more time consuming tasks let us take on contemp interviews, deal with priority crime, deal with traffic offences and give us a lot more tickets. All these mentioned can be done without conflict but sure, it may create conflict. Taking away someone's liberty by arresting is surely much more likely to cause conflict than anything else and would surely mean all the extra PPE?

I'm not convinced...
I agree, there are many more things that would be useful to have rather than that power!

User avatar
ninjamonk
Committee Member
Committee Member
Posts: 322
Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2011 8:34 pm

Re: PCC Wants Power of Arrest given to PCSO's

Post by ninjamonk » Sun Jul 08, 2012 5:55 pm

oh yeah bring it on!!!!

Martin0070
Official Member
Official Member
Posts: 68
Joined: Tue Nov 16, 2004 8:26 pm

Re: PCC Wants Power of Arrest given to PCSO's

Post by Martin0070 » Sun Jul 08, 2012 9:24 pm

Good idea. Doubt it will happen though

User avatar
ninjamonk
Committee Member
Committee Member
Posts: 322
Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2011 8:34 pm

Re: PCC Wants Power of Arrest given to PCSO's

Post by ninjamonk » Sun Jul 08, 2012 9:37 pm

Yeah me thinks too ,but like with everything else in life, things have to evolve to survive so who knows.

User avatar
xbob89
Elite Member
Elite Member
Posts: 1105
Joined: Mon Jul 26, 2010 1:44 pm

Re: PCC Wants Power of Arrest given to PCSO's

Post by xbob89 » Mon Jul 09, 2012 1:32 am

Sound bite nonsense without any thought given Im afraid.

User avatar
bluecopper
Committee Member
Committee Member
Posts: 567
Joined: Wed Apr 18, 2012 4:56 pm
Alignment: 'Thunder'

Re: PCC Wants Power of Arrest given to PCSO's

Post by bluecopper » Mon Jul 09, 2012 4:09 pm

xbob89 wrote:Sound bite nonsense without any thought given Im afraid.
I would imagine one day it will happen. All the time they parade the job as being non-confrontatational, which of course we all know is a load of cobblers, then it will never happen. Same reason until they drop that, we won't get cuffs.

User avatar
PI & GI
Elite Member
Elite Member
Posts: 1141
Joined: Thu Mar 13, 2008 10:12 pm
Location: milton keynes (in the cuds)

Re: PCC Wants Power of Arrest given to PCSO's

Post by PI & GI » Mon Jul 09, 2012 4:48 pm

I agree. Our job has evolved. the smt and dinosuars are starting to come round to what we actually fo, but the problems is, they still dont want to make it work. I can be done, and it can work but we we only ever be second class plebs in some eyes.
WHO LOVES YA BABY! (KOJAK)

User avatar
PI & GI
Elite Member
Elite Member
Posts: 1141
Joined: Thu Mar 13, 2008 10:12 pm
Location: milton keynes (in the cuds)

Re: PCC Wants Power of Arrest given to PCSO's

Post by PI & GI » Mon Jul 09, 2012 4:50 pm

having said that tho, women and specials get treated better than our job role, maybe PCSO's will get the same deserved respect and equality in the future. :sltgu:
WHO LOVES YA BABY! (KOJAK)

User avatar
anthill
Executive Officer
Executive Officer
Posts: 262
Joined: Tue Feb 17, 2009 4:03 pm
Location: East Anglia

Re: PCC Wants Power of Arrest given to PCSO's

Post by anthill » Mon Jul 09, 2012 9:27 pm

The worrying thing is that it shows how out of touch people who may be standing for PCC are!!

Power of Arrest?? NO, not necessary.

The ability and authority to do more stuff to help our PC colleagues, YES.

User avatar
falkor
Navigator
Navigator
Posts: 5061
Joined: Fri Feb 20, 2004 11:39 am
Alignment: 'Xevious'
Location: Surrey
Contact:

Re: PCC Wants Power of Arrest given to PCSO's

Post by falkor » Mon Jul 09, 2012 10:34 pm

is it that simple?
tonkertoy wrote: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-18718971

PCSOs 'should be given power of arrest
PCSOs 'should be given power of arrest' says Mike Rumble Mike Rumble is a former detective and businessman from Stourbridge

An independent candidate bidding to become police commissioner for the West Midlands wants police community support officers (PCSO) to have greater powers.

Mike Rumble, a former detective and businessman from Stourbridge, has entered November's election.

Mr Rumble said PCSOs should be able to arrest criminals.

He said: "In the times of austerity that we're facing at the moment with 20% police cuts it makes no sense at all to have a uniformed presence on the streets of the West Midlands who haven't got a power of arrest.

"If they got that power of arrest they'd be able to assist their police colleagues in more operations."
basically what this amounts to is this

yes at the moment with 20% police cuts the number of PCs is actually reducing across the UK

Mr Rumble sees PCSOs and says they should fill the gap left by the decreasing level of PCs, so PCSOs can become more and more like PCs than ever before but keep their PCSO salary

If PCSOs got a power of arrest YES they would step into that gap, but they should therefore BE PAID MORE for the increased job role and confrontation that it is obvious would follow :slex:

many people are looking to PCSOs to step up to the PC role, since 2002 a PCSO's role has devloped so much it is now unrecognisable from what it was back in 2002, but in fact PCSO pay has gone DOWN not up compared to the average salaries first set

Mr Rumble has plenty to say on giving PCSOs more front line responsibilities, but nothing at all on giving the PCSO an increased salary - why is that? :slna: you can't have it both ways surely, if you are going to ask a person to commit more, produce more, be more effective, contribute more to solving crime, detecting crime you cannot then also stand back and say "Good job mate, that is brilliant but by the way you are getting exactly the same money as when you were just the Ears and Eyes! NO WORRIES!" :slna:

Hudson01
Registered Member
Registered Member
Posts: 30
Joined: Sun Jan 08, 2012 2:43 pm

Re: PCC Wants Power of Arrest given to PCSO's

Post by Hudson01 » Mon Jul 09, 2012 10:40 pm

bluecopper wrote:
Gualsa wrote:Why do they keep going on about the power of arrest? I rarely need that power EVER! If they want PCSOs to do more time consuming tasks let us take on contemp interviews, deal with priority crime, deal with traffic offences and give us a lot more tickets. All these mentioned can be done without conflict but sure, it may create conflict. Taking away someone's liberty by arresting is surely much more likely to cause conflict than anything else and would surely mean all the extra PPE?

I'm not convinced...
I agree, there are many more things that would be useful to have rather than that power!
Totally agree, we could be better used dealing with neg line crimes, taking statements etc and assisting officers that way, arresting people is not our role, nor should it be..... i work with a number of PCSO's that are '' wanabe cops '', frankly they are a hinderance, always one step from over stepping the mark, they make me nervous ! If we get the power of arrest and other powers then frankly we are cops on the cheap... no thank you. Its a step too far, we have a defined role, if we go down that route then just recruit more PC's and be done with it, fudging it like this is not the answer.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic