west mids pcsos finally get stab vests issued

PCSO stuff ONLY: Burning issues, high profile questions or cases that have been highlighted in national or local news, let's talk about them IN HERE! A link to the item would be great where possible.

Moderator: national-PCSOs

THEdarkKNIGHT
Official Member
Official Member
Class: 'Holy Avenger'
Alignment: 'Thunder'
Sacred: 'Warrior'

west mids pcsos finally get stab vests issued

Post by THEdarkKNIGHT » Wed Sep 05, 2012 5:51 pm

After been told nearly two years ago we were getting stab vests and having it on our designation cards for 2 years without one we have in the west mids now started to be issued stab vests, :slhi:

They come with a pointless zip in the centre which I was told by our stores dept if used to much it will break when asked why they put the zip in the middle and i was told " I don’t know. it makes me laugh,

We have reconditioned plates in our vests but new covers. :slsm:

All in all not a bad vest it is lightweight but not the best design.

And the best of it is,it's going to change again in two years :wink:
THERE CAN BE ONLY ONE

tonkertoy
Executive Officer
Executive Officer

Re: west mids pcsos finally get stab vests issued

Post by tonkertoy » Wed Sep 05, 2012 10:27 pm

I hope they are not manufactured by "Global" because we have them in D&C Police, and i have been waiting for replacement stab vest cover's as mine have worn out and ripped, been waiting for 2 month's and been told by Store's today that "Global" Stab Vest company has gone bust !!!!!

bluecopper
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by bluecopper » Wed Sep 05, 2012 10:28 pm

What's wrong with a zip up the middle? Ours have one, but the plates overlap underneath it, it's not a weak point.

Reconditioned plates? Bet the PCs don't have those, disgraceful. Are they saying that your life is less valuable than a police officers then?

xbob89
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by xbob89 » Thu Sep 06, 2012 5:02 pm

bluecopper wrote:What's wrong with a zip up the middle? Ours have one, but the plates overlap underneath it, it's not a weak point.

Reconditioned plates? Bet the PCs don't have those, disgraceful. Are they saying that your life is less valuable than a police officers then?
Reconditioned doesnt mean less safe.......

bluecopper
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by bluecopper » Thu Sep 06, 2012 6:50 pm

xbob89 wrote:
bluecopper wrote:What's wrong with a zip up the middle? Ours have one, but the plates overlap underneath it, it's not a weak point.

Reconditioned doesnt mean less safe.......
Doesn't mean new either, it means on the cheap!

JCH
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by JCH » Fri Sep 14, 2012 8:50 pm

Due to major issues with the procurement of all police equipment and a legal challenge by one of the bidders is what caused the delay which was out of WMP control . A decision was taken to recondition some of their exisiting stock ( all 100% comply with safety regs ) to get the PCSO's into stab vest to avoid further delay.

Big Brother
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Examiner: XIII

Post by Big Brother » Sat Sep 15, 2012 10:22 am

JCH wrote:Due to major issues with the procurement of all police equipment and a legal challenge by one of the bidders is what caused the delay which was out of WMP control . A decision was taken to recondition some of their exisiting stock ( all 100% comply with safety regs ) to get the PCSO's into stab vest to avoid further delay.

Bo****ks. They've been stalling for 10 years. They were taken by surprise by the ruling and now they're issuing PCSOs with sub-standard kit.
Big brother is watching you.

xbob89
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by xbob89 » Sat Sep 15, 2012 1:25 pm

Big Brother wrote:
JCH wrote:Due to major issues with the procurement of all police equipment and a legal challenge by one of the bidders is what caused the delay which was out of WMP control . A decision was taken to recondition some of their exisiting stock ( all 100% comply with safety regs ) to get the PCSO's into stab vest to avoid further delay.

Bo****ks. They've been stalling for 10 years. They were taken by surprise by the ruling and now they're issuing PCSOs with sub-standard kit.
Im just surprised that the CC was willing to expose himself to prosecution under H&S law by failing to put into place control measures to reduce risk.
Section 3 of the management of H&S regs covers risk assessment which should have been carried out for the PCSOs.... surely this would have identified the need for stab vests??

Big Brother
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Examiner: XIII

Post by Big Brother » Sun Sep 16, 2012 12:50 pm

SMT, HR and other HQ teams are often a law unto themselves. They will have covered themselves by sticking in "non-confrontational" into the job description. Whenever anyone gets hurt they can just sit back and say "we told you so".
Big brother is watching you.

PI & GI
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by PI & GI » Mon Sep 17, 2012 11:32 am

I agree, its the smae in my farce. The people above us just brush the ground issues under the carpet for their own aims and pdrs.
WHO LOVES YA BABY! (KOJAK)

xbob89
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by xbob89 » Mon Sep 17, 2012 1:19 pm

Big Brother wrote:SMT, HR and other HQ teams are often a law unto themselves. They will have covered themselves by sticking in "non-confrontational" into the job description. Whenever anyone gets hurt they can just sit back and say "we told you so".
Yes you are no doubt right that the powers that be "think" that they are covered by the small print that they write but any H&S professional will tell you that its pretty much impossible for an employer to negate their legal obligations.

The CC might use the "non confrontational" role as an excuse not to provide the stab vest but I'd bet my mortgage that the investigation following from the stabbing of a PCSO would soon deduce that there is an element of confrontation (telling someone not to cycle on the pavement is obviously requiring the PCSO to confront the person doing it) and that by not supplying the correct protective armour the chief officer has exposed the PCSO to unnecessary risk.

Im always amazed at how some managers think that they can ignore their obligations by putting it in the small print..
See how the CC feels when the HSE prosecute him for a section 37 of the HASWA offence.......

PC50
Official Member
Official Member

Post by PC50 » Tue Sep 25, 2012 4:39 pm

Why not ask the PCSO's stabbed in Manchester and London if there is a risk or maybe the dozens of other officers attacked every year. It's about bloody time you got stab vests issued, Shame on Unison for not pushing this issue harder!

falkor
Navigator
Navigator
Alignment: 'Xevious'

Post by falkor » Thu Apr 14, 2016 10:05 pm

a former Sittingbourne PCSO, who claimed her stab vest caused her health problems, has lost her civil case for damages.
Hayley Russell, 36, has sued Kent’s Chief Constable claiming she hadn’t been measured correctly for her personal protection equipment in 2007.
She told Canterbury County Court that wearing the vest on patrol had made a spine condition much worse.
The mum-of-two told the judge: “I think it was incorrectly measured at the start. It caused me problems from the start.
“I was always complaining about my neck aching and was always lifting it above my shoulders to release the pressure.”
But she admitted she hadn’t complained to senior officers at the time adding: “I just thought that I had to maybe live with it and get on with it.”
By November 2011 she was being treated for a degenerative problem with her spine and went on sick leave.
She said she had seen a GP “on and off for years” because of a “flare up of pain” and underwent physiotherapy.
In March 2012 Ms Russell returned to work doing administrative work which didn’t require her to wear the stab vest.
Doctors recommend surgery, but she cancelled a planned operation after being told there was a 1:500 chance she could be left paralysed.
After another period of sick leave in November 2012, the PCSO again returned to administrative duties in March the following year.
She told Judge William Jackson that she was later re-measured for a new vest which initially felt better.
But Ms Russell said: “The new one felt different at the beginning but then pain returned.”
She added that not all PCSOs were required to wear the vests on duty “but I wouldn’t go on duty without wearing one.”
At the end of cross-examination by lawyers for the Chief Constable, the judge threw out the case.
Judge Jackson said that recent events in Canterbury – when police were called to two fatal stabbings – had showed how important stab vests were to police officers tasked with dealing with violent crimes.
But he said Ms Russell’s evidence had not shown a causal link between her wearing the stab vest and the worsening of her spinal problems, or that the wrong size vest had been worn during her period as a PCSO. READ MORE

powdermonkey
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by powdermonkey » Mon Apr 18, 2016 10:54 am

"not all PCSOs were required to wear the vests on duty "

The only time I take mine off is when I'm in the office. I'd be surprised if force policy doesn't state that they should be worn when out of the station. It certainly is down to the individual whether to wear it or not but the risks are just too great not to. I've often wondered if mine gives me back ache or exacerbates an already existing problem ( I have arthritis in my spine) but I would change roles rather than go out on patrol without it.
I have seen the truth and it makes no sense.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic