PCSOs ON TV SEARCHING IN HULL

PCSO stuff ONLY: Burning issues, high profile questions or cases that have been highlighted in national or local news, let's talk about them IN HERE! A link to the item would be great where possible.

Moderator: national-PCSOs

bluecopper
Committee Member
Committee Member
Alignment: 'Thunder'

PCSOs ON TV SEARCHING IN HULL

Post by bluecopper » Mon Nov 19, 2012 6:10 pm

Watched part of a TV programme this morning about Neighbourhood Policing with Rav wotsit from Crimewatch, the ex PC. They showed some footage of a shoplifter that had been detained by a PCSO for shoplifting and by his own admission had a bag full of counterfeit goods. The PCSO said "I asked him if he had anything else on him, and he said No, but I can see stuff in his pocket, I've had a look through his pockets and found these" he then showed the PC a bag full of Diazapan. When this fella was nicked, the camera then went to custody. The PC was standing next to the fella in Custody while the custody skipper was asking the normal questions. Whey this is going on, the PCSO is searching him, right in front of a camera, and in custody!!!

What the hell is that all about????????

I want to be able to search, but I'm not allowed, how on earth does these officers get away with it, and on TV too!!! Humberside Constabulary, you are very naughty boys!!

Anyone care to comment on this?

Big Brother
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Examiner: XIII

Re: PCSOs ON TV SEARCHING IN HULL

Post by Big Brother » Mon Nov 19, 2012 6:19 pm

As a suitably designated PCSO I can search a person I have detained for weapons or articles that can be used to escape. I'm assuming Humberside were doing the same....
Big brother is watching you.

katie c
Official Member
Official Member

Post by katie c » Mon Nov 19, 2012 6:23 pm

Big Brother wrote:As a suitably designated PCSO I can search a person I have detained for weapons or articles that can be used to escape. I'm assuming Humberside were doing the same....
yeah me too. although sounds like that PCSO was on a bit of a fishing trip doesn't it?

i can also search for booze, as i work in a DPPO area. the amount of drunk men who've offered their bodies to be frisked by me. a joke that never gets tired.
:slroll:

averagejoe90
Committee Member
Committee Member
Sacred: 'Dragoon'

Post by averagejoe90 » Mon Nov 19, 2012 6:54 pm

I am happy I don’t have the power to search, if I had genuine concerns about what an individual had on them I would ask for a unit. Although as it stands getting one can be quite a task.
AccountKiller

bluecopper
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by bluecopper » Mon Nov 19, 2012 8:40 pm

Damn it, I want those powers!!! Damn the Met!!! My bloody borough doesn't even let me drive a vehicle, grrrrrrrrhhhhh!!!

Andrew B
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by Andrew B » Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:30 pm

Interested to see what their powerset actually is,without knowing we are just in guess work whether it was legal or not. Going to watch it now on BBC Iplayer.

Interesting actually what search power he used. S1 Of Pace for stolen articles? Pretty sure thats not searching for "alcohol or tobacco" Unless he has officially detained him and the relevant search power.

As for custody, again interesting... Wouldn't be a sec32 search as thats not done in the custody sweet. Any ideas>?
Last edited by Andrew B on Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ex Met PCSO
PC Day 1 Passed 06Sep
PC Day 2 24th February

Current Met PC

bluecopper
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by bluecopper » Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:32 pm

Andrew B wrote:Interested to see what their powerset actually is,without knowing we are just in guess work whether it was legal or not. Going to watch it now on BBC Iplayer.

Interesting actually what search power he used. S1 Of Pace for stolen articles? Pretty sure thats not searching for "alcohol or tobacco"
Yeah, that's true. Quite eye-opening stuff. Can't remember what the programme is called, rarely seen PCSOs on it. Apart from the searching, it was nice to see the PCSOs "getting involved", rather than the usual film of standing on a cordon or talking to an old lady. Love them on Eastenders, always giving someone directions.

Bert Moffat
Elite Legion
Elite Legion

Post by Bert Moffat » Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:58 pm

bluecopper wrote:Can't remember what the programme is called, rarely seen PCSOs on it.
Neighbourhood Blues.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01p26g4

Andrew B
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by Andrew B » Tue Nov 20, 2012 7:27 am

Watched it back, didn't actually show the searching of the suspect in the store but in custody was quite thorough.

On a side note, I wonder if the cannabis factory warrant allowed PCSOs to enter, pretty sure I saw them all clambering it. Also, anyone else suprised they didn't get EDF to come out on the warrant and make the house safe before deciding to let everyone start searching and running around? One cannabis factory i went to last year had a door handle wired to the mains.
Ex Met PCSO
PC Day 1 Passed 06Sep
PC Day 2 24th February

Current Met PC

bluecopper
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by bluecopper » Tue Nov 20, 2012 10:21 am

Andrew B wrote:Watched it back, didn't actually show the searching of the suspect in the store but in custody was quite thorough.

On a side note, I wonder if the cannabis factory warrant allowed PCSOs to enter, pretty sure I saw them all clambering it. Also, anyone else suprised they didn't get EDF to come out on the warrant and make the house safe before deciding to let everyone start searching and running around? One cannabis factory i went to last year had a door handle wired to the mains.
It didn't show the searching in the store, just him saying that he had gone through the suspects pockets and found "these" (holding up a bag of pills).

ninjamonk
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by ninjamonk » Tue Nov 20, 2012 10:42 am

Is about time to see PCSO's in good light and be seen getting involved.

bluecopper
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by bluecopper » Tue Nov 20, 2012 11:08 am

ninjamonk wrote:Is about time to see PCSO's in good light and be seen getting involved.
Definately, couldn't agree more!

katie c
Official Member
Official Member

Post by katie c » Tue Nov 20, 2012 9:33 pm

ninjamonk wrote:Is about time to see PCSO's in good light and be seen getting involved.
thats a programme i have to see! :sltee:

i did wonder why i hadn't, didn't realise it was a daytime show. if i'm not on earlies its rare i surface before 'homes under the hammer.' :slgg:

bluecopper
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by bluecopper » Tue Nov 20, 2012 10:20 pm

katie c wrote:
thats a programme i have to see! :sltee:

i did wonder why i hadn't, didn't realise it was a daytime show. if i'm not on earlies its rare i surface before 'homes under the hammer.' :slgg:
I love Homes under the Hammer, always watch it when I'm on lates. It's on BBC1 at 9 o'clock until 10. Only caught the last five minutes of it today, another PCSO actually talking to camera, what is going on!!!!

Bert Moffat
Elite Legion
Elite Legion

Post by Bert Moffat » Tue Nov 20, 2012 11:35 pm

... in Homes under the Hammer?

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic