PCSO's need more PPE !!

PCSO stuff ONLY: Burning issues, high profile questions or cases that have been highlighted in national or local news, let's talk about them IN HERE! A link to the item would be great where possible.

Moderator: national-PCSOs

tonkertoy
Executive Officer
Executive Officer

PCSO's need more PPE !!

Post by tonkertoy » Wed May 15, 2013 10:58 am

PCSO Repeatedly Punched

http://manchestergazette.co.uk/pcso-rep ... -on-salfor

PCSO Repeatedly Punched on Salford Quays

Posted: 8:51 AM, May 15, 2013 by Chief Editor

A Police Community Support Officer (PCSO) was knocked unconscious when he was assaulted in Salford.

At about 3.40pm on Monday 29 April 2013, the PCSO, a 48-year-old man based at Pendleton police station, was on Byrom Street in Salford Quays when the offender approached and punched him several times in the face.

The officer fell to the ground and banged his head, causing him to momentarily lose consciousness.

The offender then ran off towards Enbridge Street.

He is described as white, about 5ft 9in tall, of medium to muscular build and was wearing a grey hooded top and trousers and had his face covered.

The officer suffered facial injuries as a result of the attack.

Detective Constable Joanna Flynn, said: “The officer was on duty, out in the community when he was subjected to an unprovoked and unwarranted assault.

“It is inexcusable that someone who is dedicated to helping local residents is assaulted in broad daylight, without warning and for no reason whatsoever.

“I want anyone who saw what happened to contact us.

“I believe the person responsible probably lives locally and someone will know who he is. I also don’t think he would have kept this quiet; perhaps he has been acting the tough man and bragging to people about assaulting an officer.

“If you have heard someone talking about this or know who did it, please get in touch.”

Anyone with information is asked to call police on 0161 856 5355.

tonkertoy
Executive Officer
Executive Officer

Re: PCSO's need more PPE !!

Post by tonkertoy » Wed May 15, 2013 11:06 am

I'm afraid it's time our PPE is reviewed, more and more of us are being assaulted while on duty, it will be too late when we have headlines in the papers " PCSO ASSAULTED WHILE ON DUTY, SADLY DIES OF INJURIES SUSTAINED"
I'm not saying we should have Taser's !!, but surely we should have Captor Spray, Cuff's And an Extendable Baton.
These items of PPE, do not need to be Overt, but could be carried within pockets on our Stabbies ??

I am sick to death of being told by SGT's, INSP's etc... "The PCSO role is non-confrontational" !!! they need to bloody wake up and go and have walk around the street's we PCSO's Patrol daily & nightly !!!!!

Bert Moffat
Elite Legion
Elite Legion

Post by Bert Moffat » Wed May 15, 2013 11:52 am

PPE may not have prevented this though and we do not know the full circumstances.

Cops get assaulted, knocked out and killed on duty despite having PPE.

the dark lord
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by the dark lord » Wed May 15, 2013 6:20 pm

More PPE???

Not for me ta....

The only time when I would have like to have some of the above ppe is when doing talks to kiddies and they want to see cuffs, battons etc.

I was discussing this with a colleague on shift yesterday and in our collective 10yrs neither of us can think of a time when a situation would have been helped with the above ppe, there may have been occasions when it would have been used, but the outcome wouldn't have been affected.

BlueBand
Registered Member
Registered Member

Post by BlueBand » Wed May 15, 2013 7:16 pm

Another decent argument for the issue of PAVA.

Victor
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Victor » Thu May 16, 2013 8:19 am

Few years ago, I said I don't think I need more PPE, but now the time was changed, people are more violence, we need something to protect ourself!

Andrew B
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by Andrew B » Thu May 16, 2013 8:44 am

This could easily happen to a PC, if it was as quick as it sounds I doubt the outcome would have been different with PPE in the mix
Ex Met PCSO
PC Day 1 Passed 06Sep
PC Day 2 24th February

Current Met PC

Bert Moffat
Elite Legion
Elite Legion

Post by Bert Moffat » Thu May 16, 2013 8:51 am

Exactly

jim2509
Registered Member
Registered Member

Post by jim2509 » Thu May 16, 2013 4:16 pm

Can't see PPE EVER being issued as the next step would be naturally be removing people of their 'liberty' and PCSO's whacking on cuffs to all and sundry. It just isn't going to happen unless they make PCSO's warranted NPU Officers dealing with lower level offences, again won't happen. Do agree though times have changed and the 'non confrontation' mantra is a farce/joke.

bluecopper
Committee Member
Committee Member
Alignment: 'Thunder'

Post by bluecopper » Sun May 19, 2013 6:09 pm

One of my team mates got a right hook straight in the eye a couple of weeks ago. I have been headbutted recently. I would run out of fingers trying to count all the times I have needed handcuffs!!

xbob89
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by xbob89 » Sun May 19, 2013 7:52 pm

Here we go again.......

Sorry but no amount of PPE would have helped this fella....the assailant attacked very quickly by the sound of things. A machine gun couldn't have prevented it.
Security officers up and down the country are assaulted daily but most don't even have a stab vest.......

For those who keep on banging on about PAVA, cuffs etc, either join the police as a constable or find another job.

xbob89
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by xbob89 » Sun May 19, 2013 7:53 pm

BlueBand wrote:Another decent argument for the issue of PAVA.
Or an AK47...bazooka....ICBM missile?

Arthur ASCII
Elite Legion
Elite Legion

Post by Arthur ASCII » Mon May 20, 2013 9:34 am

xbob89 wrote:
BlueBand wrote:Another decent argument for the issue of PAVA.
Or an AK47...bazooka....ICBM missile?
MAD (Mutually Assured Destruction)... very popular in the Cold War.

Me.....

I just want to relax... Image
UNISON - Fighting your corner. Join us HERE
ImageImageImageImage

Victor
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Victor » Mon May 20, 2013 11:41 am

xbob89 wrote: A machine gun couldn't have prevented it.
They may not respect you, but they certainly will respect your machine gun :slwoot:

Kingsg
Registered Member
Registered Member

Post by Kingsg » Thu May 23, 2013 5:11 pm

bluecopper wrote:One of my team mates got a right hook straight in the eye a couple of weeks ago. I have been headbutted recently. I would run out of fingers trying to count all the times I have needed handcuffs!!
Maybe you should have been observing your reactionary gap and visual warning signals before getting so close ! just out of interest how would the handcuffs have stopped you getting headbutted?

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic