Is Neighbourhood Policing Dead or Dying !!

PCSO stuff ONLY: Burning issues, high profile questions or cases that have been highlighted in national or local news, let's talk about them IN HERE! A link to the item would be great where possible.

Moderator: national-PCSOs

tonkertoy
Executive Officer
Executive Officer

Is Neighbourhood Policing Dead or Dying !!

Post by tonkertoy » Sat Aug 16, 2014 9:36 am

?
Last edited by tonkertoy on Tue Aug 19, 2014 8:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bert Moffat
Elite Legion
Elite Legion

Re: Is Neighbourhood Policing Dead or Dying !!

Post by Bert Moffat » Sat Aug 16, 2014 5:52 pm

How could you feel exhausted if you are doing as little as possible?

tonkertoy
Executive Officer
Executive Officer

Post by tonkertoy » Sun Aug 17, 2014 9:50 am

NICE REPLY !! WHY BOTHER !!!!!!!

tonkertoy
Executive Officer
Executive Officer

Post by tonkertoy » Sun Aug 17, 2014 11:22 am

" do as little as possible and go home feeling exhausted, without doing a lot."

What is meant by the above, there is No motivation to go and do your work !! No Motivation from your Team Leader, NBM's or Colleagues, NO SENSE OF BELONGING TO A TEAM !!
The Team is there but just going through the motions, coasting along.
The get up and go has got up and scarpered !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :slrnt: :slrnt: :slrnt: :slrnt:

Bert Moffat
Elite Legion
Elite Legion

Post by Bert Moffat » Sun Aug 17, 2014 6:46 pm

So get up and go....

powdermonkey
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by powdermonkey » Mon Aug 18, 2014 9:41 am

Things aren't as bad where I work but the future is looking bleak for Neighbourhood Policing. From a few years ago when it was touted as the most important big thing we're now short staffed, suffer from extractions (covering response for example), shortage of vehicles and are about to lose 2 very experienced PC's. They will be replaced as there's been a new intake but we'll end up with new cops who are still being trained and can't go out alone effectively reducing the numbers. We already have 3 probationers 2 of whom who, whilst they can drive, can't use lights & sirens. We have two PC's on the team one of whom is the eternal flame (never goes out) and the other is on permanent reduced hours (it seems) due to a bad back.

As for PCSO's, we're up to strength according to management but could easily use 2 or 3 more. The local council who part fund at least some PCSO's have announced massive cuts and that funding is part of the cuts. There is some sort of formula, apparently, which shows which PCSO's are part funded & which are fully police funded. I've yet to find it let alone understand it! On the other hand, rumour abounds that the force is about to recruit more PCSO's ( from 50 - 300 depending on which rumour you believe) so that's at odds with the council cuts.

Stick all that together and factor in holidays, training and sick leave and we end up with few staff actually parading on. Every Wednesday, Friday & Saturday night we run an operation in the town centre aimed at public order etc surrounding people out on the lash. Last Friday we had one PC and 3 PCSO's in the town centre. Thankfully there were no problems. But, if the PC had locked up then there'd be just 3 PCSO's left and officially we're supposed to be in company with a police officer for the operation. So what do we do? Abandon the town centre to no police presence at all? We could reasonably argue that we're non confrontational & as this is a public order situation we're not doing it. We don't because yet again we keep the wheel on.

De-motivated? Some days, yes. Frustrated? Hell, yes! Do I coast along, maybe on the last day of a 7 day set I might not be as responsive as on the first day :D But . . . . I still enjoy the job. I still look forward to going to work. I still get a buzz from a successful result. We still have a laugh, at each other, at things the public do or say, at some situations you find yourself in. I'll probably work until retirement age unless the finances allow early retirement. As for finding another job now, what job pays this much and gives you so much variety, fun, satisfaction, interest, and challenge? Ask me again after a scene guard on a cold wet January day & I might give a different comment, one probably full of expletives!
I have seen the truth and it makes no sense.

tonkertoy
Executive Officer
Executive Officer

Post by tonkertoy » Mon Aug 18, 2014 10:21 am

Bert Moffat wrote:So get up and go....
Shut up you ignorant Buffoon !!
If you can not give a proper reply then do not bother to comment at all !!!!!!!!

Bert Moffat
Elite Legion
Elite Legion

Post by Bert Moffat » Mon Aug 18, 2014 11:11 pm

That is a proper reply, if it's that bad it's what I would do.

falkor
Navigator
Navigator
Alignment: 'Xevious'

Post by falkor » Tue Aug 19, 2014 11:37 am

Moffat for the vast majority of time you are simply a buffoon on this site, exactly as tonkertoy has said

You're not a PCSO, you never will be and you have no empathy for PCSOs for the greater part of your replies

why you are a member of here remains one of the great mysteries of Forums History as far as I'm concerned

as Tonkertoy said, If you can not give a proper reply then do not bother to comment at all !!!!!!!!

going back to the Is Neighbourhood Policing Dead or Dying ? The Safer Neighbourhood Team where I work has seen cuts in manpower at almost 50% in the last 2 years, this has occurred through PCSOs leaving to get other jobs, the PCSOs simply are not replaced! Civvy jobs in the SNT have been downgraded, the role cancelled but at the same time a "new role" created which the individual is invited to apply for (or leave) the new role involves the same job but on several £thousand a year less and you're now doing the job of that other civvy as well who left a few months back but was never replaced !

there are less people doing Neighbourhood Policing, that is for sure, and now they are working harder and in some cases, for less money - can our Neighbourhood Policing deliver more for less?

powdermonkey
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by powdermonkey » Tue Aug 19, 2014 6:53 pm

I didn't realise he isn't a PCSO, I just thought he was grumpy sod.

Bert Moffat
Elite Legion
Elite Legion

Post by Bert Moffat » Tue Aug 19, 2014 9:09 pm

Someone needs a hug......

powdermonkey
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by powdermonkey » Tue Aug 19, 2014 11:19 pm

Oh go on then, Bert, if you really need one

Bert Moffat
Elite Legion
Elite Legion

Post by Bert Moffat » Wed Aug 20, 2014 6:39 am

Didn't work...

PI & GI
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by PI & GI » Wed Aug 20, 2014 1:56 pm

NHPT is all gone to rats, the control room use PCSOS outside our job remit to keep the wheel on, they get told ' what our role is' by skippers but then ignore it. SMT dont care and just want jobs done. at the end of the day we are the scapegoats at the bottom of the ladder.we have a pcso team and a police officer team, we dotn work together as they dont have the time or want to work with us.

its sugar
WHO LOVES YA BABY! (KOJAK)

powdermonkey
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by powdermonkey » Wed Aug 20, 2014 4:42 pm

Sorry Bert . . . .try this

:slcud:

Or this

:slluvv:

Feel better? Think of your happy place.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic