significant pay increase for PCSOs who join Fire Brigade

PCSO stuff ONLY: Burning issues, high profile questions or cases that have been highlighted in national or local news, let's talk about them IN HERE! A link to the item would be great where possible.

Moderator: national-PCSOs

assuming your beat is 5 minutes from the Fire Station ... would you?

You may select 1 option

View results

falkor
Navigator
Navigator
Alignment: 'Xevious'

significant pay increase for PCSOs who join Fire Brigade

Post by falkor » Sat Sep 06, 2014 5:56 pm

“The required level of fitness and training was discussed and it was agreed that the abstraction for training and fitness would be minimal and all PCSOs need not apply if they don’t wish to do it, although it would significantly increase their salary."
Braintree & Witham Times 5 Sep 2014
Police community support officers and retained firefighters could end up sharing roles, under a radical new scheme.

Essex County Fire and Rescue Service and Essex Police are in the early stages of talks to pilot the scheme in Braintree and Uttlesford.

A report to Essex Fire Authority said the fire service struggles to recruit for retained positions and a meeting has been held between police and fire chiefs at Braintree.

It added: “The presentation proposed that PCSOs were trained as retained firefighters during the daytime and in return the retained firefighter will pick up some of the police task local demand.

powdermonkey
Committee Member
Committee Member

Re: significant pay increase for PCSOs who join Fire Brigade

Post by powdermonkey » Sat Sep 06, 2014 6:36 pm

Bonkers idea. What next? Train as paramedics?
I have seen the truth and it makes no sense.

averagejoe90
Committee Member
Committee Member
Sacred: 'Dragoon'

Post by averagejoe90 » Thu Sep 11, 2014 8:46 am

:slwo:
Last edited by averagejoe90 on Tue Apr 12, 2016 8:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
AccountKiller

the dark lord
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by the dark lord » Sun Sep 21, 2014 10:15 am

powdermonkey wrote:Bonkers idea. What next? Train as paramedics?
Not a bad idea, the waterfairies have someone on each vehicle who has advanced First Aid and I seem to spend several hours each week waiting for ambulances.

OR how about training as a MH nurse/CPN?

powdermonkey
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by powdermonkey » Sun Sep 21, 2014 6:20 pm

dark lord,

We have basic first aid training, which I think is enough. My concern would be, if we had training as either firefighters or paramedics or even both, is what exactly would our role be? Would we be PCSO's or some strange amalgamation of all three roles? How much medical kit would we be expected to carry? How much policing work would we get done & how often would we get extracted to jobs involving those other skills instead?

the dark lord
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by the dark lord » Mon Sep 22, 2014 11:00 am

powdermonkey wrote:dark lord,

We have basic first aid training, which I think is enough. My concern would be, if we had training as either firefighters or paramedics or even both, is what exactly would our role be? Would we be PCSO's or some strange amalgamation of all three roles? How much medical kit would we be expected to carry? How much policing work would we get done & how often would we get extracted to jobs involving those other skills instead?
Just a couple of defibs and a couple of two gallon extinguishers.

It was a bit tongue in cheek...

The ambulance service passing jobs on to the police is a particular problem in my area.

Feeling suicidals, self harmers, not taken meds, pre aranged MH warrants all get passed to us with the ambulance not allocating.

powdermonkey
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by powdermonkey » Mon Sep 22, 2014 11:15 am

Yep, we get them as well. Those sort of jobs should get binned off straight away back to the NHS. We're short staffed & should concentrate on core policing. Plus, whilst we get a bit of awareness training regarding mental health issues, we don't have the skills to deal with sufferers.

falkor
Navigator
Navigator

Post by falkor » Thu Feb 18, 2016 11:47 am

Image so DEVON PCSOs are seeing a huge increase in salary (I expect) after becoming PCSO/ fire brigade! :slcup: fantastic

Official Member
Official Member

Post by 7133 » Thu Feb 18, 2016 4:24 pm

Absurd idea. Although I imagine that the gung-ho in the ranks would find it exciting
Krrrriiingggg. I believe this knife is yours!

Big Brother
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Examiner: XIII

Post by Big Brother » Fri Feb 19, 2016 9:52 am

So what is the "significant" increase in salary.....?
Big brother is watching you.

falkor
Navigator
Navigator

Post by falkor » Fri Feb 19, 2016 11:21 am

according to the newspaper Braintree and Witham Times a report to the Essex Fire Authority stated "The presentation proposed that PCSOs were trained as retained firefighters during the daytime and in return the retained firefighter will pick up some of the police task local demand. The required level of fitness and training was discussed and it was agreed that the abstraction for training and fitness would be minimal and all PCSOs need not apply if they don’t wish to do it, although it would significantly increase their salary."

powdermonkey
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by powdermonkey » Mon Feb 29, 2016 7:36 pm

I have a colleague who I've just discovered is a retained firefighter. This isn't a formal arrangement but something he does. He tells me that he gets £500 a month for this. As it isn't a formal arrangement between the force and the fire service he does this in his spare time. As for how much time he does and what hours, I'd have to ask him.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic