D&C Police Cutting 180 PCSO's

PCSO stuff ONLY: Burning issues, high profile questions or cases that have been highlighted in national or local news, let's talk about them IN HERE! A link to the item would be great where possible.

Moderator: national-PCSOs

tonkertoy
Executive Officer
Executive Officer

D&C Police Cutting 180 PCSO's

Post by tonkertoy » Wed Jan 21, 2015 3:30 pm

http://www.westernmorningnews.co.uk/Dev ... story.html

Devon & Cornwall Police have announced due to another round of Cuts in funding, that they have no choice in cutting 140 Police Officer Jobs, and are intending to cut the number of PCSO's by half leaving only 180 PCSO's from 360 at present.
More shockingly the Chief Constable Shaun Sawyer has shown he would like to get rid of all PCSO's as he would much prefer to have Officers "WHO CAN DRIVE POLICE CARS AT SPEED AND CAN CARRY GUNS" !!!!
Nice to have support from our Chief Constable, Our union Unison is a total waste of time despite members bombarding them with E mails about the cuts, they have replied they don't want to "ROCK THE BOAT" by asking too many questions !!! remind me why I'm paying £17 a month to Unison.

So this well could be truly the end of PCSO's in D&C Police !!

powdermonkey
Committee Member
Committee Member

Re: D&C Police Cutting 180 PCSO's

Post by powdermonkey » Thu Jan 22, 2015 2:30 pm

tonkertoy,

That's absolutely shameful, for your Chief Con to make such comments. If he ever wonders why morale is low all he needs do is look in the mirror.

Any hints as to how they intend losing so many PCSO's? Natural wastage doesn't seem to be enough so will there be redundancies or redeployment?

As for Unison, they seem to have a nationwide reputation for being weak. Is there an alternative union you can join?
I have seen the truth and it makes no sense.

tonkertoy
Executive Officer
Executive Officer

Post by tonkertoy » Thu Jan 22, 2015 6:21 pm

It's early days the Force has released a statement saying jobs are safe for 2015, however from April 2016 it does not look good, the thing I find odd they are recruiting around another 30 PCSOs soon with two intakes, how can they even think of recruiting then in 12 months start making half the workforce redundant !!
It's time our bloody MP's took a grip and stop the Billions going overseas in Aid, and use that money to sort out our Public Services, get our Country back in order first, then once that has been achieved, any surplus could then be sent overseas in Aid, Greece has been given 11 million in Aid and they have spent it on their Rail infrastructure !!

JimmyRiddle
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by JimmyRiddle » Fri Jan 23, 2015 9:15 am

That is awful. Do you have a link to him actually saying this?
Power of arrest for PCSOs for 'as and when' - s24a PACE & common law (i.e. BoP) using s3 CLA 1967

I'm a PCSO, I will WATCH you get your head kicked in (as per force policy)

tonkertoy
Executive Officer
Executive Officer

Post by tonkertoy » Fri Jan 23, 2015 4:49 pm

No I do not have a link, it was broadcast on regional BBC 1 South West on local news Spotlight,last Tuesday at 6:30pm.

ninjamonk
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by ninjamonk » Tue Jan 27, 2015 10:34 am

Yeah its all shocking and this is the first time I am concerned about my job. There is 20 new intakes that start in february (fact) although the number of 180 PCSOs that was said to go this is not the case however there will be cuts Its how they will do is the worrying thing.I would imagine that when all the new intakes start they will have the same chance of saving their jobs as we will have. Will they do it by Performance,sickness, or would we have to re apply for our roles. it's all speculation but it is still a worry.

tonkertoy
Executive Officer
Executive Officer

Post by tonkertoy » Tue Jan 27, 2015 7:06 pm

From the last update on cuts, they have said it will be around 40 Sworn Staff, that will now not be recruited, and I believe 800 Police Staff will go over the next 4years, however they have now said PCSOs will now not be cut and the numbers will remain at 360.
Does the right hand know what the left hand is doing !!!!
Or have they made a bit of a boob in saying they intend halving PCSOs, but they are still receiving Goverment funding for PCSOs so now have to keep the numbers up and that is why they intend recruiting more PCSOs albeit on 12 month contracts !!!
I think it is morally wrong to recruit more PCSOs only to start making job cuts in PCSOs in a few months time.

ninjamonk
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by ninjamonk » Wed Jan 28, 2015 1:34 am

I am at a lost with what's going so I guess its good news for us but not for the new recruits ?

tonkertoy
Executive Officer
Executive Officer

Post by tonkertoy » Wed Jan 28, 2015 6:24 pm

I can probably guess what they intend to do.
I would imagine they will recruit more PCSOs bringing the total up to 360, then in around 12 months time they will decide further cuts are required, as all other Police Staff roles are and have been cut, they will then say right we will cut the PCSOs by half, reducing to 180 PCSOs, to get down to that number they might offer voluntary redundancy, but I doubt it as that will cost them a lot of money.
They will make all 360 PCSOs apply for 180 posts, so half will be lucky to keep their jobs, the other half will be joining the queue at the job centre !!!
In my opinion they should immediately stop recruiting PCSOs, allow more PCSOs who want to be PCs to move across, then using natural wastage allow numbers of PCSOs to drop down to 180.

ninjamonk
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by ninjamonk » Fri Jan 30, 2015 5:06 pm

So would you apply for your job Tonkertoy if have to ? I know I would. How many of PCSOs on this site would apply for their job ?

ninjamonk
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by ninjamonk » Fri Jan 30, 2015 7:17 pm

Can anyone help me understand why we are recruiting more PCSOs and then in the near distance future start culling us ?

tonkertoy
Executive Officer
Executive Officer

Post by tonkertoy » Sat Jan 31, 2015 12:40 pm

Ninja Monk, I'm hoping I will not have to apply for my job, I'm hoping my Union (Unison) will show some balls and stop D&C going down that road of putting existing PCSOs through the process of applying for jobs we are already doing !!
As you say why recruit when more cuts are coming!!
Have you seen the message from CC Sawyer on Sharepoint about PCSOs ?
Almost a complete turnaround!

ninjamonk
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by ninjamonk » Mon Feb 02, 2015 8:01 pm

Yeah i have seen the news Tonkertoy but no one is committing to anything, I guess we should know more on the 6th this week as i believe thats when we find out about the budget.

the dark lord
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by the dark lord » Mon Feb 02, 2015 10:04 pm

tonkertoy wrote:remind me why I'm paying £17 a month to Unison.
To get a poor quality diary, to subsidise protests of the nurses and council staff and to give some wedge to Red Ed..... Was you labouring under a different illusion?

If that is genuinely what your CC has said then that is dreadful, how old is he? Sixteen? Has he left his ivory tower in the last 20 years, does he still think that being a police officer is just driving fast and playing cops and robbers?

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic