Plastic Ninja!!!

PCSO stuff ONLY: Burning issues, high profile questions or cases that have been highlighted in national or local news, let's talk about them IN HERE! A link to the item would be great where possible.

Moderator: national-PCSOs

powdermonkey
Committee Member
Committee Member

Plastic Ninja!!!

Post by powdermonkey » Thu Mar 12, 2015 9:40 pm

Just had a refresher course in self defence, known as Empty Hands in my force and, whilst I'm glad of the refresher, it's taken nearly 3 years since my last training on my induction course.

The course covered how to block punches, break free for a variety of holds (wrist grab, head lock, being grabbed by the throat etc), various pressure points, restraining techniques, defending yourself if you're on the ground, and a number of strike techniques. All very useful and interesting but I'm not sure how much I'd remember should I have the misfortune to be in a fight,

It made me wonder though, how much variation there is in the self defence taught to PCSO's from one force to another?
I have seen the truth and it makes no sense.

Big Brother
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Examiner: XIII

Re: Plastic Ninja!!!

Post by Big Brother » Fri Mar 13, 2015 7:25 am

We get taught the same, every 4-6 months usually. Also taught kicks and knee strikes.
Big brother is watching you.

powdermonkey
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by powdermonkey » Fri Mar 13, 2015 11:09 am

Big Brother,

You certainly get more refreshers than we do.
I have seen the truth and it makes no sense.

ninjamonk
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by ninjamonk » Fri Mar 13, 2015 9:00 pm

Once a year and its mainly first Aid! they chuck in a few techniques for defending against a knife attack but more for a bit of fun I guess Oh and a few strike actions and some head lock moves I am impressed with the amount of OST Big Brother.

JimmyRiddle
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by JimmyRiddle » Mon Mar 16, 2015 1:01 am

3 years! That is disgusting! I'd look up your policy on that as that can't be right.

Anyway, we do all the above except NO restraints as why would we be doing that! It's our job to run away screaming! Also, no pressure points also.

At least that's the official version. Some trainers resent teaching us at all, where as others will teach us a lot more at least unofficially.

Have you looked at some martial arts? Wing chun or krav magar (?)?
Power of arrest for PCSOs for 'as and when' - s24a PACE & common law (i.e. BoP) using s3 CLA 1967

I'm a PCSO, I will WATCH you get your head kicked in (as per force policy)

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic