Political involvement by PCSOs

PCSO stuff ONLY: Burning issues, high profile questions or cases that have been highlighted in national or local news, let's talk about them IN HERE! A link to the item would be great where possible.

Moderator: national-PCSOs

falkor
Navigator
Navigator
Alignment: 'Xevious'

Political involvement by PCSOs

Post by falkor » Wed Apr 01, 2015 6:05 pm

Pre-Election Period - PCSOs guidance!

Differences for police officers and police staff

The formal rules that relate to political activity are slightly different for warranted officers and police staff. The underlying principle for police officer involvement in political activities is covered by Schedule 1 of The Police Regulations 2003, which states:
“A member of a police force shall at all times abstain from any activity which is likely to interfere with the impartial discharge of his duties or which is likely to give rise to the impression amongst members of the public that it may so interfere; and in particular a member of a police force shall not take any active part in politics.”

With the exception of the legitimate trade union activity of senior union officers, police staff, whilst on duty, should abstain from political activity. Most are free to engage in political activity off duty, however, they should take care not to undermine the public’s confidence that the Force is a politically impartial organisation. Police staff have the same rights as any other citizen to involve themselves in politics and an election. European Human Rights Legislation Article 10 and Article 8 confirm these rights. A small number of police staff in senior positions or those that directly influence the public hold ‘Politically Restricted’ posts prohibiting some kinds of activity. This will be clear in your contract of employment.

Social media guidance

Officers and staff must not be seen to be supporting any particular candidate, or member of their team, through either official Force social media channels or personal social media accounts that identify the user as a Police employee. This includes:
• retweeting
• commenting on posts/pictures
• actively engaging in discussion

powdermonkey
Committee Member
Committee Member

Re: Political involvement by PCSOs

Post by powdermonkey » Wed Apr 01, 2015 6:24 pm

We have an extensive and thorough piece of advice and guidance on our intranet.
I have seen the truth and it makes no sense.

PI & GI
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by PI & GI » Sat Apr 11, 2015 8:57 pm

Im glad to say that this time next month i shall no longer be part fo the organised chaos that has policy that states " Police officers and staff should take suger from all MOP and have less protection and rights than mop" ( well at least that what happens in real time!) im joining the ambo service! woopwoop EMAS here i come.
WHO LOVES YA BABY! (KOJAK)

falkor
Navigator
Navigator
Alignment: 'Xevious'

Post by falkor » Sun Apr 12, 2015 9:31 am

ooooo what brought that change on? congratulations on being selected though!! :sltee: does your pension transfer over? or do you start a new one?

powdermonkey
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by powdermonkey » Sun Apr 12, 2015 7:04 pm

PI & GI

What role?
I have seen the truth and it makes no sense.

JimmyRiddle
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by JimmyRiddle » Sun Apr 19, 2015 7:03 am

I hope it is a good move for you and that you put your skills to good use. Don't be surprised with similar problems but a different public sector though!
Power of arrest for PCSOs for 'as and when' - s24a PACE & common law (i.e. BoP) using s3 CLA 1967

I'm a PCSO, I will WATCH you get your head kicked in (as per force policy)

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic