Hundreds of PCSOs to lose their jobs in West Mids

PCSO stuff ONLY: Burning issues, high profile questions or cases that have been highlighted in national or local news, let's talk about them IN HERE! A link to the item would be great where possible.

Moderator: national-PCSOs

arthurgray50@blu
Official Member
Official Member

Re: Hundreds of PCSOs to lose their jobs in West Mids

Post by arthurgray50@blu » Mon Aug 10, 2015 10:37 pm

Being within the MPS, l really feel for you in all the midlands. But this is now being felt with my force. I know of five officers that will go tomorrow if offered money - but there isn't any money left.
I think the major problem is that the Conservatives don't like PCSO's, as they want warranted officers on the street. BUT, l cannot see why they want to make more cuts in any police force. I believe that the forces should be doubled. But a certain Mrs May think that crime is in decline, you try telling that to the next person who calls and say she has been robbed or burgled

The ideas that are coming out are ridiculous, and to think that in one force l learnt that 40 officers resigned in ONE month, due to stress.

I firmly believe that they cannot get rid of PCSO's altogether. They are the 'eyes and ears' for any force. Where l live, we don't see anyone on our street, and in our local town centre. I haven't seen ONE CSO or PC. They are relying on CCTV

I have been a PCSO for many years, and love every minute of it. I see residents every day, and know me by name. But IF, cut backs are to be made. Then l suggests it starts at the top. Some senior managers are paid an awful lot of money.

I feel for West Mids PCSOs, I am sure there are some officers that want to go. and that's where it will start first. I did read a West Mid paper, that have many MPs and Councillors that are saying 'PCSOs are worth there weight in gold.
So lets hope that this will help

I believe that Merseyside Police merged there PCSO's with Transport. and still have the CSO name

falkor
Navigator
Navigator
Alignment: 'Xevious'

Post by falkor » Tue Aug 11, 2015 7:51 pm

nice one Arthur, welcome back! :slby:

powdermonkey
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by powdermonkey » Tue Aug 11, 2015 9:37 pm

Obviously this is a hot topic at work and people's minds are being more and more concentrated on it the closer we get to the end of the financial year.

Whilst a force may be able to dispense with certain things we do such as community days, school visits to talk about internet safety or drugs etc, there are some things that will still need doing and, if it isn't a PCSO doing it, then a PC will have to be deployed. I'm thinking of CCTV checks, scene guards, house to house, searching for mis pers, reassurance visits etc.

When Theresa May talks about crime falling, I think she doesn't realise that it's reported crime that is falling, and this will continue to fall as people lose faith in the police to even attend certain crimes (e.g. houses on the odd numbered side of the street, some burglaries). I've talked before about how forces will have to decide what and what isn't a police matter, and GMP have recently suggested that teenagers who regularly go missing from care homes should not be a police problem, but should be dealt with by Social Services. I can see the point. How many times have we seen reports that a kid has gone missing/absconded minutes after being returned by police? There should still be a police involvement where they are vulnerable due to CSE for example or where they abscond at night - I can't imagine any social workers being turfed out of bed at 3 a.m. to check the local McDonalds etc!!! If there is no vulnerability, and the kid often turns up of their own accord a few hours later, maybe it's not the best use of police resources.

Three weeks ago on a Friday night there were only two PCSO's covering the town centre on my division. No police officers at all; they would respond if something happened but were not deployed on the regular operation around the night time economy. Something did happen. Council TV picked up a male with a Taser. No one replied to the request for officers to attend so the 2 PCSO's went, carefully, with CCTV watching them, to "observe and report". They found the male and, using S.24 PACE detained him, searched & seized the Taser. A PC attended to arrest the male and more when he and his mates kicked off. The 2 PCSO's got a very nice PDR entry from supervision. This situation where there is only a small number of PCSO's patrolling the town centre on a weekend night is now the norm rather than the exception. Reduce the number of PCSO's on NPT and the division will not be able to staff the operation and maintain the current number of response officers available for other calls. Last Saturday night there were so many jobs (FTS RTC, assaults, break ins) that every officer was engaged for some time.

I understand Hudson & Ninjamonk's comments about making ourselves indispensable n order to protect our jobs, but I would argue that we pretty much are indispensable. There are over 60 PCSO's on my division. Remove them or even cut the numbers by 50% and the consequences will be awful. There'll be a lot of cops complaining about having to do the tasks we currently do!
I have seen the truth and it makes no sense.

Hudson
Registered Member
Registered Member

Post by Hudson » Thu Aug 13, 2015 3:08 pm

The above makes a lot of sense and i do agree that at times PCSO's are the only one's ' out and about ', my fear is that if more PC's are taken on at the expense of PCSO's then they will simply be absorbed into the force and be stuck at a desk again and not go on patrol. I have just seen the news reports today that Yorkshire police are making a number of staff redundant..... this includes 150 PCOS's :slroll:

Each forces of course handles their finances either better or worse than the force next door so comparing ' cuts ' is not overly practical, but we can all see that PCSO's are now in the spotlight.

powdermonkey
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by powdermonkey » Thu Aug 13, 2015 4:34 pm

Hudson

Any idea which of the 3 Yorkshire forces are dumping 150 PCSO's? Not West Yorks where I work as far as I know. I've been on rest days so maybe I'm in for a shock when I get back!

Hudson
Registered Member
Registered Member

Post by Hudson » Thu Aug 13, 2015 10:45 pm

powdermonkey wrote:Hudson

Any idea which of the 3 Yorkshire forces are dumping 150 PCSO's? Not West Yorks where I work as far as I know. I've been on rest days so maybe I'm in for a shock when I get back!

South Yorkshire...... i am sure more will announce in the months to come. Here is a link.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-so ... e-33894417

powdermonkey
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by powdermonkey » Fri Aug 14, 2015 7:00 pm

It's described as the "worst case scenario" but will still be a worry for those in the cross hairs. We've just had confirmation that we're going to a 5 team system working alongside response and on a 6 on 4 off shift pattern. No details as to what the shifts will be but we're wondering if it'll be used to cut our unsocial hours and the allowance. Each NPT team will have approx. 8 PCSO's. No police officers other than 3 or 4 ward managers and one Sgt.

Today we had a number of jobs come in at once that tied up officers with the result that a burglary other victim had to wait about 4 hours before a PCSO was able to attend. Meanwhile he was wanting to tidy up etc and wasn't best pleased at the wait. I apologised and said we'd just had a number of time consuming and urgent jobs. I felt that if I'd told him that we just didn't have enough staff it'd be seen as "that old excuse". Maybe I should have. Maybe we should tell the public bluntly just how the cuts are affecting us and that it won't get better any time soon.

Hudson
Registered Member
Registered Member

Post by Hudson » Fri Aug 14, 2015 8:01 pm

Your right, i would of simply told the truth, if the cuts are reducing the numbers across the board then its madness to explain it any other way. I suspect that the way to reduce the wages bill for us is to look at our weekend and shift allowances..... maybe not working unsociable hours and only have us on earlies ? A lot could not manage if we lost our unsocial hours pay and would leave anyway, when this starts to get worse i certainly will not be giving the ap's some line of bull****, if there was no one available due to cuts then thats exactly what i will be telling them.

powdermonkey
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by powdermonkey » Sat Aug 15, 2015 7:16 pm

Just got my annual pension statement. I will be sitting down with my wife and seriously considering leaving if the cuts to PCSO's are bad enough. I'm wondering if we can manage on my pension and a part time job. If I'm ever offered voluntary redundancy it might be too hard to resist.

tonkertoy
Executive Officer
Executive Officer

Post by tonkertoy » Sun Aug 30, 2015 7:13 pm

Just wait for it I can see within 12 months most Police Forces will be looking to disestablish the role of the PCSO, and the Unions are going to be powerless, my fellow PCSO's we need to be prepared for the end of the PCSO role in the UK, so any PCSO's out there now is the time to start looking for alternative work.
I have seen a document that is now in the hands of Unison and I can tell you now we are on the way out, will the last PCSO left in the UK please turn the light off on your way out the door !!!!!!!!!

Hudson
Registered Member
Registered Member

Post by Hudson » Mon Aug 31, 2015 8:43 pm

tonkertoy..... i would not be totally surprised and the FED will be laughing all the way to the HR dept's asking when the new group of PC's are going to sworn in ! The best possible outcome i can see for my force (a large one) is that we ONLY lose 50% of us, anything less and i will see it as a good day. There are PCSO's at my station who somehow think that we will be fine and that the new cuts mentioned by Osborne will be met by '' natural wastage '' :slwot: , unreal...... i am unsure what financial planet they have been on, i certainly will be keeping my options open and looking elsewhere.

powdermonkey
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by powdermonkey » Tue Sep 01, 2015 6:38 pm

At least the cuts may avoid the following happening :

http://www.gmp.police.uk/content/Social ... AF0045908F

I hope she has a speedy recovery.

ninjamonk
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by ninjamonk » Tue Sep 01, 2015 8:29 pm

tonkertoy wrote:Just wait for it I can see within 12 months most Police Forces will be looking to disestablish the role of the PCSO, and the Unions are going to be powerless, my fellow PCSO's we need to be prepared for the end of the PCSO role in the UK, so any PCSO's out there now is the time to start looking for alternative work.
I have seen a document that is now in the hands of Unison and I can tell you now we are on the way out, will the last PCSO left in the UK please turn the light off on your way out the door !!!!!!!!!

Hi Tonkertoy can you expand on this document ?

Big Brother
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Examiner: XIII

Post by Big Brother » Wed Sep 02, 2015 2:12 pm

I tell anyone who will listen the truth as to why we can't get to jobs anymore. I'm not covering for the government, fuck them. If we don't get to a job, it's because we don't have any staff. The sooner people realise, the better.
Big brother is watching you.

Hudson
Registered Member
Registered Member

Post by Hudson » Wed Sep 02, 2015 7:25 pm

Big Brother wrote:I tell anyone who will listen the truth as to why we can't get to jobs anymore. I'm not covering for the government, fuck them. If we don't get to a job, it's because we don't have any staff. The sooner people realise, the better.

I can agree with you on this and over the past 6-12 months i have noticed the number of grade 1 jobs and grade 2 jobs taking a lot longer to have officers allocated to them..... but this is no secret, the ambulance service is suffering just the same. I do not see it as our explaining why officers can not get to the jobs but explaining why a number of these jobs will simply be not responed too because its '' not a police matter '' ! This is something that has to be done by all forces and its also something that politicians do not want to face or admit is happening, but we all know it is.

As i have said before, neighbourhood policing is a nice to have, when push comes to shove all the public want is blue lights and noise and a police officer (not pcso) turning up asap. If various forces keep some of us then our role HAS to change and be more practically to crime detection and the process of getting the crime file to the CPS. We need to be able to assist officers with their very busy workload, patrolling the neighbourhood is great when you have lots of the green stuff ! I do think our role can be of use in this new, lean and slim police force but it has to be understood that not all of us will survive (and in some forces no one will). :slby:

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic