The End Is Nigh

PCSO stuff ONLY: Burning issues, high profile questions or cases that have been highlighted in national or local news, let's talk about them IN HERE! A link to the item would be great where possible.

Moderator: national-PCSOs

jim2509
Registered Member
Registered Member

The End Is Nigh

Post by jim2509 » Tue Oct 06, 2015 7:27 pm

So it appears the role of PCSO'S is reaching the final stage as Essex Police are the latest Police Service to announce major reductions of their PCSO force..191 posts are to go out of 250. The remainder will no doubt be on borrowed time.

I note lots of forces are announcing similar cuts to PCSO's at the same time so this is not a coincidence. Kent Police haven't stated if theirs are to go yet, but they are partners with Essex and have to save the same amount of £££ and are carrying out a review with the same company as Essex...no brainer then.

Thank god I jumped ship to PC, I feel for my former colleagues though especially with Xmas on the horizon.

powdermonkey
Committee Member
Committee Member

Re: The End Is Nigh

Post by powdermonkey » Tue Oct 06, 2015 8:05 pm

jim2509,

Is the force hoping to shed that many by natural wastage (leavers, retirers, redeployment etc) over a period of time or will there be voluntary and then compulsory redundancies? West Yorks where I work apparently need to lose 190 jobs but that is spread over all support staff roles, not just PCSO's.
I have seen the truth and it makes no sense.

jim2509
Registered Member
Registered Member

Post by jim2509 » Wed Oct 07, 2015 8:16 pm

From what I've heard the 190 odd are being offered redeployment to other roles which is the usual token gesture offering some crap jobs on low pay. The other 60 will stay and will lose their shift allowances and will be tied to local authorities. The rest will get the small redundancy package. This seems to be the same as other forces.

Kent will be next. I've txt former colleagues and advised them to start looking for other employment as its obvious what's heading their way. Shocking treatment.

unclve vanya
Executive Member
Executive Member
Location: 25 Klicks East of 'Templum Divi Filius Claudii' Camoludnum East Angles UK

Post by unclve vanya » Sat Oct 10, 2015 12:52 am

Yes - I read this on the front page of the Essex 'Chronicle'. Not only PCSOs post going, but the whole of HQ at Springfield, and numerous police stations being closed and sold off, including the new one at Gt Dunmow, which was only built a few years ago.(sheer idiocy) :slwo:

So, where will the new HQ go - three potential sites, one near Chelmsford and 2 away from the town? It looks like these are panic measures being implemented due to government austerity. Of course, it is true that the old HQ complex at Springfield is well past its 'Sell By date', and a new HQ complex would be a better deal for the long term - but it is all going to cost millions, if not hundreds of millions of pounds. It is also likely to create problems wtih staff etc. So - will one of the 'policing policies' by this Tory-Conmen 'gobment' be the franchising of policing functions out to private security companies such as Serco and other cowboy outfits? :slsic:

Much of this a big mistake, and will cause the government to spend huge amounts of tax payers cash to rectify mistakes. I seem to hear that the new Essex Police IT system. 'Athena' is causing problems. Essex Police has an uncanny knack of repeating the mistakes of the past. The old Epics project, the "all singing, all dancing" IT system of the late 1990s failed big time. I worked in the IT department when this occurred. It looks like history is repeating itself again, as one of the other police forces in this 'experiment' have pulled out.

So - with closer cooperation with Kent Police (economies of scale), where will the main HQ be sited, Essex or Kent? :slwo:

With the potential for hundreds of thousands (maybe millions) of refugees and other people demanding their "Yumin Rites" in Old Blighty - free Council houses, Luxury apartments, lots of cash, cars, free TVs, more cash, ciggies etc; etc; etc; - the crime rates for serious assaults, rapes, murders etc will rock in the coming years. (all guaranteed - perhaps?).

Of course i might just becoming a tad 'Victor Meldrew' in my old age, and I am not sure that I believe any of our PPE educated mediocrities in parliament, or any of them being competent to know what to do if we are overwhelmed with illegals on the orders of the EU(SSR)s Brussels Poliburo of muppets in Brussels.. :slzip:
'Gordon McRuin wants me to be his Economics Guru. I'm skint so I will 'Trough Some Cash'.
'Je Suis Une Mauvais Homme, J'a dit plut tard Merde!' !

jim2509
Registered Member
Registered Member

Post by jim2509 » Mon Oct 12, 2015 1:21 pm

unclve vanya wrote:Yes - I read this on the front page of the Essex 'Chronicle'. Not only PCSOs post going, but the whole of HQ at Springfield, and numerous police stations being closed and sold off, including the new one at Gt Dunmow, which was only built a few years ago.(sheer idiocy) :slwo:

So, where will the new HQ go - three potential sites, one near Chelmsford and 2 away from the town? It looks like these are panic measures being implemented due to government austerity. Of course, it is true that the old HQ complex at Springfield is well past its 'Sell By date', and a new HQ complex would be a better deal for the long term - but it is all going to cost millions, if not hundreds of millions of pounds. It is also likely to create problems wtih staff etc. So - will one of the 'policing policies' by this Tory-Conmen 'gobment' be the franchising of policing functions out to private security companies such as Serco and other cowboy outfits? :slsic:

Much of this a big mistake, and will cause the government to spend huge amounts of tax payers cash to rectify mistakes. I seem to hear that the new Essex Police IT system. 'Athena' is causing problems. Essex Police has an uncanny knack of repeating the mistakes of the past. The old Epics project, the "all singing, all dancing" IT system of the late 1990s failed big time. I worked in the IT department when this occurred. It looks like history is repeating itself again, as one of the other police forces in this 'experiment' have pulled out.

So - with closer cooperation with Kent Police (economies of scale), where will the main HQ be sited, Essex or Kent? :slwo:

With the potential for hundreds of thousands (maybe millions) of refugees and other people demanding their "Yumin Rites" in Old Blighty - free Council houses, Luxury apartments, lots of cash, cars, free TVs, more cash, ciggies etc; etc; etc; - the crime rates for serious assaults, rapes, murders etc will rock in the coming years. (all guaranteed - perhaps?).

Of course i might just becoming a tad 'Victor Meldrew' in my old age, and I am not sure that I believe any of our PPE educated mediocrities in parliament, or any of them being competent to know what to do if we are overwhelmed with illegals on the orders of the EU(SSR)s Brussels Poliburo of muppets in Brussels.. :slzip:

I can't really argue with what you've said as its pretty bang on.

Kent PCSO's have been told they are safe in this financial year but no decisions have been made regarding the new pay/staff review due next year. So basically that means come April 2016 it'll be ta ta.

DOGMA
Executive Officer
Executive Officer
Class: 'Bounty Hunter'
Alignment: 'Shadow'
Sacred: 'Warrior'

Post by DOGMA » Sat Jan 30, 2016 11:53 pm

Hi. I've not been on here for some time but I'm part of the Pcso group that going in Essex. They announced that 90 will definately be staying leaving the other 160 facing redundancy. The question I'm being asked a lot by mop's is - if there are now no cuts in funding and the council tax is to rise how can they still make people redundant ? I hear a lot of rumours of why but ( and I could be wrong) but I feel this is more political than anything. The Pcso left will no longer get the unsociable hours pay and so will not be on the streets at the main times of asb. Pcso will also take on crime investigations and take statements. So considering each area will go from approximately 40 Pcso down to 6, this is not benifiting the public at all. Police officers will have to do there own scene pres, CCTV enq plus pick up the incidents that the other 34 Pcso would. Pcso already attended on average 70-80 inc p/m. Who's going to attend them now

Big Brother
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Examiner: XIII

Post by Big Brother » Fri Feb 12, 2016 6:39 am

If I were in your position I'd be sat in the nick looking for jobs. I certainly not going out, and I certainly wouldn't be trying to pander to, or even give a sugar about the public.
The job are treating us like dirt. They say on one hand how we are essential, and on the other it's made clear just how worthless and expendable we are. I can't wait to find something else.
Big brother is watching you.

Official Member
Official Member

Post by 7133 » Thu Feb 18, 2016 4:43 pm

I'm not speaking for every pcso by any means, but in my time working for the gmp I can honestly say I have never met more lazy people in any job I've done before or since.

I could pin point several pcsos (and cops) in a certain gmp division that I would not pay in washers.

The only subject I never heard pcsos complain about in my 12 years was money, the reason being that each and every one knows they are VERY generously paid. I massively resent the fact that some people earning similar money to me got away doing so little for so long. If it comes to cuts (and lets face it, it will) I hope retention goes off skill, not length of service.

And the things pcsos winge about. My god. So glad I'm not in that environment any more.
Krrrriiingggg. I believe this knife is yours!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic