A bit of breathing space?

PCSO stuff ONLY: Burning issues, high profile questions or cases that have been highlighted in national or local news, let's talk about them IN HERE! A link to the item would be great where possible.

Moderator: national-PCSOs

powdermonkey
Committee Member
Committee Member

A bit of breathing space?

Post by powdermonkey » Wed Nov 25, 2015 6:09 pm

So, has George Osborne protected the police budget by keeping spending in line with inflation? Forces are still expected to make savings by using shared resources and the Institute of Fiscal Studies has said that "spending on police services in England and Wales fell by 14% in real terms between 2010-11 and 2014-15. "

It looks as if PCSO jobs are safe for 12 months until next year's spending review but I wonder if the cuts so far have been so deep that forces will still struggle to deal with day to day demands. If the IFS is correct in what it says it'll take years for forces to recover.
I have seen the truth and it makes no sense.

falkor
Navigator
Navigator
Alignment: 'Xevious'

Re: A bit of breathing space?

Post by falkor » Thu Nov 26, 2015 10:56 pm

a lot of good people have already gone by the wayside between 2010-11 and 2014-15

Police Staff have been cut and cut again - the amount of senior officers have just been reduced down and in some places quite dramatically e.g. 20 Ch Supts to 4 Ch Supts, such reductions can easily be made by invoking the 30 year rule, many Inspectors have been ordered to retire using exactly the same rule

We have lost a lot of experienced staff and police officers, it is not the same just to recruit new staff or just to promote officers into that rank

STILL, we will not be getting the further 20% cuts that everybody actually feared and expected, that is something to appreciate! quite where PCSOs go from here is a good question - hopefully PCSO jobs will be safe for another 12 months as you say PM :slch2:

powdermonkey
Committee Member
Committee Member

Re: A bit of breathing space?

Post by powdermonkey » Fri Nov 27, 2015 9:09 pm

The most immediate threat now seems to be from councils who may pull their funding of PCSO's. Here at WYP the force policy seems to be moving those PCSO's who are part funded by a council to an area where they are funded "by other agencies". Other than councils, I don't know of any agencies that provide funding for PCSO's. So, for those PCSO's affected, it looks like they'll be moved to another division. Meanwhile, I still expect a reduction in PCSO numbers by natural wastage.
I have seen the truth and it makes no sense.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic