PCSOs have no power of arrest and had to let them go

PCSO stuff ONLY: Burning issues, high profile questions or cases that have been highlighted in national or local news, let's talk about them IN HERE! A link to the item would be great where possible.

Moderator: national-PCSOs

falkor
Navigator
Navigator
Alignment: 'Xevious'

PCSOs have no power of arrest and had to let them go

Post by falkor » Sat Jan 09, 2016 9:51 am

6 Jan 2016 .. Oldham News

A frustrated garage boss is reeling from a double whammy after thieves tried to steal a van from his forecourt.

John Igoe had to pay £150 to retrieve the abandoned van, which was allowed to leave the crime scene by two PCSOs. But driving it back put him in the driving seat for a £433 fine from the DVLA - for having it on the road untaxed.

The tale began when John (55) left the Peugeot van on his pitch at High Barn Street in Royton. CCTV footage from a neighbouring business shows the two culprits arriving in a tow truck and dragging the white van over the pavement.

Two PCSOs then arrive in their car and talk to the men before the thieves drive off in the tow truck, leaving the van behind in the road. Officers stayed with it until it was towed to a compound on police orders.

Mr Igoe, a director of Voy Prestige Motor Company, paid £150 to have the van released from the compound in Middleton. But now a letter from the DVLA demands a further £443 to avoid court action for “keeping/using the vehicle on a public road.”

The disconsolate 55 year old said: “It’s like something from the Keystone Cops. I’m absolutely gobsmacked. I complained to police and an officer visited me. He says the PCSOs have no power of arrest and had to let them go. But to let them drive off, leaving my van - which they had tried to steal - in the middle of the road, is completely unreal.

“I had to pay £150 to retrieve my own vehicle. This letter from the DVLA just makes matters even worse.

“Because someone tried to steal it I’ve been asked for £593.00 - even though a trade plate was in the window. I am totally disgusted.”

A spokesman for GMP said an investigation was continuing: “The van was identified by the officers as having potential fingerprint evidence http://www.oldham-chronicle.co.uk/news- ... -fine-mess

Bert Moffat
Elite Legion
Elite Legion

Re: PCSOs have no power of arrest and had to let them go

Post by Bert Moffat » Sat Jan 09, 2016 1:17 pm

I considered posting this story by suspected my motives would be questioned - hey ho....

powdermonkey
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by powdermonkey » Sun Jan 10, 2016 6:59 pm

falkor : S.24a PACE?

BM : are you surprised?
I have seen the truth and it makes no sense.

Bert Moffat
Elite Legion
Elite Legion

Post by Bert Moffat » Sun Jan 10, 2016 8:07 pm

Nope.

falkor
Navigator
Navigator
Alignment: 'Xevious'

Post by falkor » Sun Jan 10, 2016 9:22 pm

I think a transcript of the radio traffic for the whole of this episode would make revealing reading

the PCSOs stopped a crime in progress, that is pretty good and let's remember that! however,
A spokesman for GMP said an investigation was continuing: “The van was identified by the officers as having potential fingerprint evidence
fingerprint evidence? wasn't there a registration number for the tow truck? wasn't there a company name on the tow truck? did the PCSOs call on the radio for PCs to attend?

powdermonkey
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by powdermonkey » Mon Jan 11, 2016 5:35 pm

falkor,

It certainly sounds as if the PCSO's fluffed that one and, as you say, the radio transcript could be very interesting.

Bert Moffat
Elite Legion
Elite Legion

Post by Bert Moffat » Sun Jan 17, 2016 11:35 pm

powdermonkey wrote:.....the radio transcript could be very interesting.
So would this one....

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liv ... l-10747780

Police sent PCSO on a bicycle to deal with gang of four balaclava-wearing thieves burgling a shop

Moreton business gets apology for weak police response after shop was targeted twice in eight days.

Police sent a PCSO on a push bike to reports that a business was in the middle of being burgled by a masked gang for the second time in eight days.

The owner of Spoilt Brats Children Boutique, in Moreton, said shopkeepers in the area are losing faith in Merseyside Police’s control of the area following the double raid on his business.

The clothes shop, on Hoylake Road, was targeted by burglars on both December 12 and December 20 as the premises suffered two break-ins in the run up to Christmas.

The owners said they have since received an apology from officers because of their below par response to an ongoing problem.

Police say they have stepped up patrols in the area but Sam Islam, whose wife Deborah Cummings runs the shop, said the incidents had left him concerned about the confidence of burglars.

Speaking about the second raid Sam, who runs the Spice Club restaurant next door to Spoilt Brats, said: “I was in the restaurant cooking and my manager came up and said ‘I’m sure your shop alarm is going off’. I went to check and as I was going out I could hear the alarm. I went outside and didn’t take anybody with me - I thought who’s going to target my shop at 7pm on a Sunday night?

“I was thinking it was a false alarm and went in the back... they were still in the place with the alarm screaming - that’s how cheeky they were.

“I could hear them inside. At that point I thought I wasn’t prepared for them, I went back and a few of my friends came out.”

When he returned he was assaulted before the gang fled in a car. To Sam’s frustration, he claimed: “There were four armed men in balaclavas and a push bike patrol attended. How reassuring is that?”

Nothing was taken in the second raid, though clothes were taken in the first burglary of the premises.

Sam said he had heard other businesses had been targeted in Moreton in recent months, adding: “I didn’t see one police car drive past [in between the dates of the two burglaries]. If this is the police presence in the area then what do we do? How much worse does it need to get? Every time they get away with it.”

Wirral Chief Inspector Paul Sutcliffe said: “We recognise that following the report of the burglary on Sunday, December 20 that our response was not proportionate and not up to the standard expected of Merseyside Police and for that we apologise.

powdermonkey
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by powdermonkey » Mon Jan 18, 2016 7:32 pm

BM,

Yes, it'd be interesting to see who put a PCSO at risk by sending them to that job and why no police officer took the job instead.

Bert Moffat
Elite Legion
Elite Legion

Post by Bert Moffat » Mon Jan 18, 2016 11:08 pm

According to the Daily Mail a Police car arrived 10 minutes later...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... igate.html

powdermonkey
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by powdermonkey » Tue Jan 19, 2016 2:17 pm

My point is that it should never have been passed to a PCSO in the first lace but, when it was, a police officer should have shouted up and prevented a PCSO being the first one there.

Bert Moffat
Elite Legion
Elite Legion

Post by Bert Moffat » Tue Jan 19, 2016 2:50 pm

I agree, if that is what happened but we don't know.

The PCSO might not have been sent as a first response but went anyway and there were no free Police units to attend but came as soon as they could.

JimmyRiddle
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by JimmyRiddle » Mon Mar 28, 2016 9:50 am

Merseyside Police once sent me to a job involving "local youths smashing up" the local shop one Saturday afternoon. The job was a fake call but they deployed me to assess and shout up. Luckily that day I had the privilege of being chauffeured by a bobby and we both could see into the shop and how it was a bollocks call.

I have emailed my Sgt with the Altaris log numbers MANY and I mean MANY times over the years asking him to get on to the ACR manager about why they're sending PCSOs to jobs like this or twisting the context of the calls that the call centre can't even type down correctly. Anyway, guess what, nothing was ever done!!
Power of arrest for PCSOs for 'as and when' - s24a PACE & common law (i.e. BoP) using s3 CLA 1967

I'm a PCSO, I will WATCH you get your head kicked in (as per force policy)

JimmyRiddle
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by JimmyRiddle » Wed Mar 30, 2016 5:54 am

Would seizing the attempted stolen vehicle help? Incur less storage costs?

Also, I'd have seized the tow truck also as used in crime. PCSOs now have s19 PACE don't they?
Power of arrest for PCSOs for 'as and when' - s24a PACE & common law (i.e. BoP) using s3 CLA 1967

I'm a PCSO, I will WATCH you get your head kicked in (as per force policy)

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic