PCSOs accused of breaking and entering.....

PCSO stuff ONLY: Burning issues, high profile questions or cases that have been highlighted in national or local news, let's talk about them IN HERE! A link to the item would be great where possible.

Moderator: national-PCSOs

Bert Moffat
Elite Legion
Elite Legion

PCSOs accused of breaking and entering.....

Post by Bert Moffat » Mon Jan 25, 2016 9:57 pm

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-co ... e-35400694

Coventry Police enter unlocked homes and tweet photos

Police in Coventry have been criticised on social media for entering people's unlocked homes and tweeting photos.

The Cov City Police team has been on burglary patrol in the city, testing front doors then advising homeowners to lock their properties.

The photos, one retweeted by West Midlands Police's chief constable, showed officers inside hallways pointing out the home is insecure.

Oooops....

Official Member
Official Member

Re: PCSOs accused of breaking and entering.....

Post by 7133 » Thu Feb 18, 2016 5:05 pm

This takes me back. I had an inspector who basically was an arrogant arse and thought he could whatever he liked. He advised us to do this exact same thing while out and about.

It was probably around this point where we began to fall out. For a start you have no idea who's house you are walking into or what you might find inside. A second point would be peoples right to family life. A third point would be unwarranted entry into a private dwelling. A fourth would be undue stress and no doubt shock of the lawful occupants upon discovering a total stranger in their home.

I should imagine this would a decent defense of said occupant should an officer end up being assaulted inthe course of unlawfully entering someone's home.
Krrrriiingggg. I believe this knife is yours!

Big Brother
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Examiner: XIII

Post by Big Brother » Fri Feb 19, 2016 9:50 am

7133 wrote:This takes me back. I had an inspector who basically was an arrogant arse and thought he could whatever he liked. He advised us to do this exact same thing while out and about.

It was probably around this point where we began to fall out. For a start you have no idea who's house you are walking into or what you might find inside. A second point would be peoples right to family life. A third point would be unwarranted entry into a private dwelling. A fourth would be undue stress and no doubt shock of the lawful occupants upon discovering a total stranger in their home.

I should imagine this would a decent defense of said occupant should an officer end up being assaulted inthe course of unlawfully entering someone's home.

We sort of did this. But, what we actually did was just test door handles. Doors that were unlocked, we would remain outside, and knock on. Explain what we were doing etc.
Combined we did several hundred properties, not a single complaint because we respected the boundaries.
Big brother is watching you.

Official Member
Official Member

Post by 7133 » Sun Mar 05, 2017 8:57 pm

testing the handles is one thing, but we were told to walk right in. No way!

One amusing thing was that we used to put these hand leaflets through open doors and windows. I put one through a window once and it fluttered down inside and somehow right across the room to drift under the sofa like a feather. It might have been weeks, months or years before the occupants found it. :slwo:
Krrrriiingggg. I believe this knife is yours!

falkor
Navigator
Navigator
Alignment: 'Xevious'

Post by falkor » Thu Mar 16, 2017 8:17 pm

Nice one 7133 :slgg: Welcome Back friend!!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic