Brave New World

PCSO stuff ONLY: Burning issues, high profile questions or cases that have been highlighted in national or local news, let's talk about them IN HERE! A link to the item would be great where possible.

Moderator: national-PCSOs

powdermonkey
Committee Member
Committee Member

Brave New World

Post by powdermonkey » Sat Mar 05, 2016 8:49 pm

Well, I've now done two weeks or so of the new shift rota of 6 on and 4 off. The overwhelming feeling is that I'm absolutely knackered! 58 hours in 6 days has taken it out of me.

However, the big question is, is it working? Is it providing a better service and better cover for the public? Has it improved the way we PCSO's work or not?

It's a mixed bag, which is what we PCSO's expected and I suppose there's no shift rota which will please both public and PCSO's.

The good is that I'm never more than 2 early turns away from a lie in and it's always 4 days off. But, finishing at 2300 and being back on duty at 1300 or 1400 the next day doesn't give much family time once you've had 8 hours sleep. I get a good overlap with colleagues who cover the same area which I didn't have before. Not only does this allow for an easy exchange of info etc but also to double crew on jobs that we couldn't have done before.

The bad is that along with my own area I'm also now expected to help cover another one. This area is quite some distance way and means that I'm struggling to maintain visibility to the public in those areas - it's less often that I walk down a particular street than I did before.
On my late shift of 1400-0000 or 1600-0000 I'm parading on only 1 to 3 hours after a colleague parades on at 1300. Great for double crewing etc but, as the third PCSO on our area would be on rest days, it means that there's no one dedicated to our area on between 0700 and 1300. The PCSO on our second area (his main area), has our area as his second area but, as he wasn't on duty, both areas were left without cover for 6 hours.

The only time when we managed to cover both areas adequately, doing tasks such as cocoons and POPPIs as well as logs/calls, was when he had a car. Great! Except it was a plain car & so not much in the way of hi vis patrolling.

There's a lot of grumbling but we'll eventually get used to almost permanent 10 hour shifts. We'll have to cos it aint gonna change any time soon.

One other down side to the new teams (now 5 instead of 3) is the abstraction rate. On a team of 7 only 2 off at the same time. Buggered up my hopes of leave at Easter to tie in the public holidays. Can't even get Easter Saturday and Sunday cos there's a lockdown. A lockdown at Easter!! What are they expecting? Hordes of people on a sugar high after scoffing chocolate bunnies going on the rampage?
I have seen the truth and it makes no sense.

Big Brother
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Examiner: XIII

Re: Brave New World

Post by Big Brother » Sun Mar 06, 2016 6:43 am

We used to do 6 on 4 off. We really miss it, 4 days off in a row was worth the extra hours.
As for cover/lack of. Couldn't give a sugar, the job treat us with that much disdain the only reason new patterns are implemented is to try and get better coverage. They "consult" but all it means in the end is that we get shafted.
Big brother is watching you.

jay1
Executive Officer
Executive Officer
Class: 'Undead Hunter'
Alignment: 'Shadow'
Sacred: 'Ranger'

Post by jay1 » Mon Mar 07, 2016 9:14 am

We used to do three days, four lates finishing at midnight sat and sun all other lates were 2200 hrs then three week days off followed by
four days, three lates followed by four days off over the weekend.
We are changing in April and our hour will be between 8am and six pm as these are the core hours because apparently this is when we are needed.
we shall see how well this works but I am not looking forward to no late = no lay in......

powdermonkey
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by powdermonkey » Tue Mar 08, 2016 11:36 am

Big Brother,

I agree with you in that I don't give a toss if there's no cover. Here's an example of how this system doesn't work. Last night I got passed a job for nuisance motorbikes 2 to 3 miles from where I was. The off road motorbike team were unavailable - grounded for the winter! I queried my being sent to it on the basis that it'd take me ages to get there by bus let alone on foot and even if it was close by, how do they expect me to deal with someone on a 125 cc (or bigger) motorbike? The only reaction I ever get from these yobs is two fingers and a wheelie before hey shoot off.

After a few minutes discussion I was cancelled but I know full well that I'll get more of these jobs, especially in the summer.

Jay1

So, no more late shifts? Who will deal with nuisance kids or scene guards etc after 6 pm, your response teams? That'll go down well!
I have seen the truth and it makes no sense.

Big Brother
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Examiner: XIII

Post by Big Brother » Tue Mar 08, 2016 12:35 pm

powdermonkey wrote:Big Brother,

I agree with you in that I don't give a toss if there's no cover. Here's an example of how this system doesn't work. Last night I got passed a job for nuisance motorbikes 2 to 3 miles from where I was. The off road motorbike team were unavailable - grounded for the winter! I queried my being sent to it on the basis that it'd take me ages to get there by bus let alone on foot and even if it was close by, how do they expect me to deal with someone on a 125 cc (or bigger) motorbike? The only reaction I ever get from these yobs is two fingers and a wheelie before hey shoot off.
!

After seeing the news article about the SC hauled in front of the courts for blocking the road with a police car forcing an unlicensed, uninsured rider of a mini-moto to mount the pavement and fall off (bless him), why should I risk my career and pension?
Big brother is watching you.

jay1
Executive Officer
Executive Officer
Class: 'Undead Hunter'
Alignment: 'Shadow'
Sacred: 'Ranger'

Post by jay1 » Tue Mar 08, 2016 12:40 pm

Powdermonkey,
Apparently so, im sure this will go down really well.
But on the bright side its about putting us in the right places at yhe right times. :slzip:

JimmyRiddle
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by JimmyRiddle » Mon Mar 28, 2016 4:11 am

You guys are lucky, I'm currently doing nights, finishing at 0715ish, rush hour traffic home for around 45m, sleep til 1630, back in work at 1830.

And that SC, I think the fact he was a Special went against him. They suggest and play on people's ideas that SC's aren't fully trained or have a clue what they're doing
Power of arrest for PCSOs for 'as and when' - s24a PACE & common law (i.e. BoP) using s3 CLA 1967

I'm a PCSO, I will WATCH you get your head kicked in (as per force policy)

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic