when interviewing juveniles .. contemp? or tape?

PCSO stuff ONLY: Burning issues, high profile questions or cases that have been highlighted in national or local news, let's talk about them IN HERE! A link to the item would be great where possible.

Moderator: national-PCSOs

falkor
Navigator
Navigator
Alignment: 'Xevious'

when interviewing juveniles .. contemp? or tape?

Post by falkor » Wed Apr 20, 2016 9:34 pm

A reminder, when interviewing juveniles. Code 'E' of the PACE Codes of Practice is clear that juveniles (under 18 years old) for all Indictable only AND either-way offences MUST be audio recorded when interviewed. This does not mean that they should be arrested but it does mean that their interview MUST be carried out by being audio recorded and NOT by contemporaneous notes. We can interview via contemporaneous notes for all summary only offences and that includes offences such as common assault, shoplifting up to £200 in value, assault PC etc.

The main offence that appears to be causing some issues is simple possession of drugs offences. This is an either way offence so the interview MUST be audio recorded either in or out of custody.

There is a provision at para 3.1(a)(ii) of Code 'E' that enables a Sgt to authorise a contemp interview for an indictable offence (includes either-way offences) but this must only be used as an emergency measure, e.g. if the machine breaks suddenly and must not be used as a general exemption not to audio record the interview

powdermonkey
Committee Member
Committee Member

Re: when interviewing juveniles .. contemp? or tape?

Post by powdermonkey » Thu Apr 21, 2016 8:50 pm

falkor,

Can PCSO's in some forces interview then? I've never heard of it and have never been trained for interviewing anyone, juvenile or not.
I have seen the truth and it makes no sense.

falkor
Navigator
Navigator
Alignment: 'Xevious'

Post by falkor » Fri Apr 22, 2016 7:16 am

what is more likely to happen is that a PCSO will be there when a PC is interviewing :slch2: handy to know what the ground rules are if that's you

powdermonkey
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by powdermonkey » Fri Apr 22, 2016 3:38 pm

I'd rather waterboard some of the people I meet than interview them :sldv:
I have seen the truth and it makes no sense.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic