Bit of a dilemma

PCSO stuff ONLY: Burning issues, high profile questions or cases that have been highlighted in national or local news, let's talk about them IN HERE! A link to the item would be great where possible.

Moderator: national-PCSOs

powdermonkey
Committee Member
Committee Member

Bit of a dilemma

Post by powdermonkey » Sat May 07, 2016 11:52 am

At the moment I'm sort of dealing with a woman looking to flee a forced marriage. She has confided in a work colleague that she's in a forced marriage and that colleague has made me aware but has not given me this woman's details. The work colleague is trying to persuade the woman to speak to police and has given the woman details of various organisations etc that can help. Some of the info has come from me. As yet, I haven't made our Safeguarding Unit aware, partly because I don't have the woman's details and partly because the work colleague is trying to build trust with the woman and neither of us want to break that trust. However, force policy is that I notify Safeguarding a.s.a.p. & it wouldn't be too difficult to work out who the woman is.
Second dilemma. I know an Asian woman on my patch and she has given me a massive insight into how the Asian community/culture thinks and works. Apparently there are people who act as bounty hunters, tracing women fleeing forced marriages or for other reasons and, for money, these people will trace the fleeing person and use threats of violence or actual violence to make them return. The woman I spoke to is very scared that if her name is associated to giving this info she will suffer severe repercussions. My view is that if there is a threat to her then the force can protect her better knowing who she is and where she lives, especially if an Osman warning is required. She wants to be anonymous and I know from experience what to put on the intel form to help protect her identity. Alternatively, I can put the source as anonymous and, if asked, say I don't have the source's details as they were declined. I've gone through the explanations of how intel is sanitised, restricted, CHIS etc.

Anyone had experience of this sort of thing & how they dealt with it?
I have seen the truth and it makes no sense.

falkor
Navigator
Navigator
Alignment: 'Xevious'

Re: Bit of a dilemma

Post by falkor » Sat May 07, 2016 7:18 pm

nightmare, not an easy call :sloop:

but let's go back to the start :slch2:
She has confided in a work colleague that she's in a forced marriage and that colleague has made me aware
what is the purpose of this work colleague making you aware? you are a PCSO? he is a PC is that right?

why hasn't your work colleague gone to his Sgt to ask for directions? this needs to be handled under directions of a Sgt

powdermonkey
Committee Member
Committee Member

Re: Bit of a dilemma

Post by powdermonkey » Mon May 09, 2016 11:56 am

Sorry, I obviously wasn't clear, it's her work colleague. She works at an residential home on my beat (regular tea spot & toilet etc) & the colleague is her manager who wanted some advice on what to do. At the moment, cos I don't know the woman's details, if I rang Safeguarding it'd be a case of "what's her name" "don't know" "where does she live" "don't know" all I have is her work place. A bit vague really. If they then contact her work place not only will the manager know I've broken my word with her, the employee will also know the manager's broken her word with her. Both the law & force policy state nothing should be done without the consent of the person.
I have seen the truth and it makes no sense.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic