PCSO / Ambulance First Responder

PCSO stuff ONLY: Burning issues, high profile questions or cases that have been highlighted in national or local news, let's talk about them IN HERE! A link to the item would be great where possible.

Moderator: national-PCSOs

tonkertoy
Executive Officer
Executive Officer

PCSO / Ambulance First Responder

Post by tonkertoy » Thu Jul 28, 2016 8:20 pm

I am a PCSO and also an Ambulance First Responder while at work, I carry an Airwave Ambulance Pager and I am called to Emergency Ambulance calls within 3 to 4 miles of wherever I may be on my Patch, I really enjoy doing this and believe it should be looked at to see if this could be developed further and maybe rolled out further.
I carry a full first aid kit with Defibrillator and Oxygen.
Do any other PCSOs do this ?

lilly5
Registered Member
Registered Member

Re: PCSO / Ambulance First Responder

Post by lilly5 » Fri Jul 29, 2016 8:37 am

Not a psco yet...but i applied for First Responder here last year...but there local authority dealing with it are hopeless... They still haven't organised anything 18 months after their recruitment drive! :slww:

powdermonkey
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by powdermonkey » Sun Jul 31, 2016 7:09 pm

tonkertoy

I've heard of this scheme before & I believe there might be a similar one regarding fire fighters. Do you get paid extra for this dual role?
I have seen the truth and it makes no sense.

tonkertoy
Executive Officer
Executive Officer

Post by tonkertoy » Sun Jul 31, 2016 7:42 pm

No I don't get paid any extra, I do it unofficially alongside my day to day PCSO duties, this is done with permission of my Inspector, there is a Tri-Service PCSO in the same Police Force, where he is PCSO-FIRE-AMBULANCE, however because that is officially being trialled he gets an extra £10,000 per annum than me !
I don't fancy the Fire side of things, but I can see that PCSO/AMBULANCE could work, because when responding you are first on scene and triage, treat the patient before a Paramedic/Ambulance arrives, usually back PCSOing around 30 mins later.
But if you respond to a Fire shout you could be gone for many hours !!!
I believe if this was looked at and run properly there would an ideal funding opportunity for the Police and Ambulance service to work together ??

powdermonkey
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by powdermonkey » Mon Aug 01, 2016 10:45 pm

I have to admit I'd only consider it if there was more money offered.
I have seen the truth and it makes no sense.

baronsmirnoff
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by baronsmirnoff » Wed Aug 03, 2016 8:10 pm

This was a motion at this years PCS conference should police staff get involved, I think it was defeated as those who would be most likely to respond and trained in ELS were at the end of a PR so would not need a pager, I do carry my own defibrillator in my car at all times but not on pager system
DRINK WAS THE ANSWER BUT I FORGOT THE QUESTION

My spelling is good spelling but the letters sometime wobble and get in the wrong place - Winne The Pooh

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic