End of Lincs PCSO's possibly?

PCSO stuff ONLY: Burning issues, high profile questions or cases that have been highlighted in national or local news, let's talk about them IN HERE! A link to the item would be great where possible.

Moderator: national-PCSOs

mj12cz
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

End of Lincs PCSO's possibly?

Post by mj12cz » Sat Dec 10, 2016 12:04 pm

Hi all, it's been a while since I've been here, life is keeping me busy I guess...

Well Lincs Police announced to the press some weeks ago it had 2 choices loose 133 cops or all of it PCSO's

It then started a rigerous Police officer recruitment campaign... while suspending any PCSO recruitment.

So is this good bye to all us PCSO's?
"Its a mother beautiful bridge and its going to be there"

Save the cheer leader, save the world.....

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
George Orwell

falkor
Navigator
Navigator
Alignment: 'Xevious'

Re: End of Lincs PCSO's possibly?

Post by falkor » Sat Dec 10, 2016 3:28 pm

THE MET went all through this last year mj12 and it is pretty demoralising for PCSOs while this is happening

I myself having worked for Surrey Police for over ten years have just left the Police entirely amidst never ending staff cuts and seemingly no end of massive "funding cuts" imposed by the Government. everytime your Police Force somehow deals with the last monumental £M of cuts you naively think that will be the last, but no, give it 12 months and suddenly out of the blue "we must find £20M of cuts over the next 4 years" and you're thinking "DIDN'T WE JUST DO THAT??"

the UK actually spends more money on foreign aid than it does on the whole of the UK police forces put together, that is how this country's Police are viewed funding wise :sloop:
Well Lincs Police announced to the press some weeks ago it had 2 choices loose 133 cops or all of it PCSO's
mj what is your guess on how this will go?

mj12cz
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Post by mj12cz » Sat Dec 10, 2016 11:47 pm

I think they planned to replace as many with VPCSO's the volunteers, however I'm not sure if this is working out for them.

I think we will be reduced to a handful of say 20-30 then fazed out.

I'll be pleased to be proved wrong!
"Its a mother beautiful bridge and its going to be there"

Save the cheer leader, save the world.....

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
George Orwell

Flying Warden
Official Member
Official Member
Class: 'Priest'
Alignment: 'Lightning'
Sacred: 'Vulcan'

Post by Flying Warden » Wed Dec 28, 2016 1:18 pm

We can't be replaced by VPCSO's. To date, two volunteers have been made independent one of whom is my volunteer and he starts training to be a PC in a few days which leaves the Market Rasen independent VPCSO.
My other volunteer has no intention on becoming independent.
VPCSO'S are not the problem, central government are the real problem.

Now of course I hear the military is to take more cuts too, just when we should be building them up too.

As much as I am not a left wing or right wing and just wish to live my life quietly, the political establishment is destroying this country.
Fly low, Fly fast.

moi1985
Registered Member
Registered Member

Post by moi1985 » Sun Jan 29, 2017 6:37 pm

D&C are looking to cut their PCSO numbers by 50% over the next 4 years, announced last week:

http://www.itv.com/news/westcountry/201 ... -cornwall/

They will be offered other roles, rather than redundancy. Is this a trend other forces will be following?

powdermonkey
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by powdermonkey » Sun Jan 29, 2017 10:20 pm

West Yorkshire Police have just finished a recruitment drive, the second in a year, for PCSO's. The advert didn't say how many they wanted and, whilst it said force wide. we know that some councils across West Yorks have pulled their part of the funding for PCSO's. The last intake went to Leeds (and possibly Bradford) where the funding was. As far as I'm aware, the council where I work are not helping to fund PCSO's so I doubt we will see any of the new recruits even though we are struggling to fill teams and carry out our role.

Meanwhile, we are expected to promote the role of police officer, to the point of handing out leaflets, and to encourage any interest shown by someone wanting to be a PC. I could not, with hand on heart, tell someone that joining the job as either a PC or a PCSO is a good career option. Not with the conditions we work in and the prospect of further cuts down the line. I'd recommend that they study hard, get a qualification either in college/university or as an apprentice, and seek employment in the private sector. The pensions are not much better in the public sector and job security, which was of the most attractive aspects, is pretty much non existent. At least in the private sector you have, in my view, a better chance of the latest technology, better pay increases/earning potential, promotion opportunities and perks.

Recruiting people is one thing but as the prison service is learning, retention is another thing altogether.
I have seen the truth and it makes no sense.

falkor
Navigator
Navigator
Alignment: 'Xevious'

Post by falkor » Mon Jan 30, 2017 7:25 pm

the basic pay for Prison Officers is £17,000, they depend on extras such a shift allowance and regional allowance to bolster that up to an amazing £20000 start pay all in, for new Prison Officers, who very often after 6 months, suddenly think "What am I doing risking my neck on this money?" and quit

the recruitment cycle is never ending ! experienced staff on the old payscales are very expensive and who cares if they leave? will save a few quid compared to the 20 granders just coming in
moi1985 wrote:
Sun Jan 29, 2017 6:37 pm
D&C are looking to cut their PCSO numbers by 50% over the next 4 years, announced last week:

They will be offered other roles, rather than redundancy. Is this a trend other forces will be following?
:sloop: shocking

jay1
Executive Officer
Executive Officer
Class: 'Undead Hunter'
Alignment: 'Shadow'
Sacred: 'Ranger'

Post by jay1 » Mon Jan 30, 2017 8:58 pm

We were cut back last april.
We are now S.P.O.C.s for different skills.
I.e mental health,DV and the like.
We work between 0800 - 1800 hrs and work one weekend in three.
It is frustrating not being around in the evenings and not being out on the streets.
That aside the job is interesting and challenging and i still enjoy it.

Flying Warden
Official Member
Official Member
Class: 'Priest'
Alignment: 'Lightning'
Sacred: 'Vulcan'

Post by Flying Warden » Sun Feb 19, 2017 8:46 pm

Lincs Police are recruiting at the moment. My VPCSO is applying.
Closing date is 1st March for June or July intake.
Won't be enough to backfill but it's a start.
Fly low, Fly fast.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic