Confrontational or not ????

PCSO stuff ONLY: Burning issues, high profile questions or cases that have been highlighted in national or local news, let's talk about them IN HERE! A link to the item would be great where possible.

Moderator: national-PCSOs

do you face confrontation in your role as a pcso?

You may select 1 option

View results

alihowe
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Class: 'Crimson Warrior'
Alignment: 'Vampire'
Sacred: 'Dragoon'

Post by alihowe » Mon Jun 18, 2007 11:07 pm

brianb wrote:You an ex-cop Ali?
Why's that Bri? :wink:
GROWING OLD IS COMPULSARY, GROWING UP IS OPTIONAL.

"You live more in five minutes on a bike like this than most people do in their entire lives."

brianb
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by brianb » Mon Jun 18, 2007 11:11 pm

..."Don't forget I have had training with Cuffs, CS and Asp, I know when it would be justified to use them, how to use them etc."

alihowe
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Post by alihowe » Mon Jun 18, 2007 11:16 pm

brianb wrote:..."Don't forget I have had training with Cuffs, CS and Asp, I know when it would be justified to use them, how to use them etc."
Only a short lived one Brian. Was a PCSO for 2.5 years. Joined up as a PC and did 7 months. Never been so unhappy in my life....... long story! Missed the role of PCSO so came back to it........... no regrets, I'm a happy bunny :D

"You live more in five minutes on a bike like this than most people do in their entire lives."

brianb
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by brianb » Mon Jun 18, 2007 11:19 pm

Then you should know that even with PPE you are never totally safe, as mentioned before.

alihowe
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Post by alihowe » Mon Jun 18, 2007 11:21 pm

brianb wrote:Then you should know that even with PPE you are never totally safe, as mentioned before.
I appreciate that. But at times....... something is better then nothing. Would you go out without your kit on then?

brianb
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by brianb » Mon Jun 18, 2007 11:26 pm

Oo-er..

But seriously yes - if the situation required me to do so.

alihowe
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Post by alihowe » Mon Jun 18, 2007 11:29 pm

brianb wrote:Oo-er..
Ohhps, you may get arrested for Outraging Public Decency :shock: ............. lol :lol:
brianb wrote:But seriously yes - if the situation required me to do so.
Would you walk aroun the town on a weekend night with out your kit/PPE on?

brianb
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by brianb » Mon Jun 18, 2007 11:32 pm

As above - if the situation required.

alihowe
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Post by alihowe » Mon Jun 18, 2007 11:41 pm

brianb wrote:As above - if the situation required.
Describe to me........... what situation? :idea:

I mentioned a situation........... FOOT PATROL ON A BUSY WEEKEND NIGHT...........???????????? :?:

Answers on a Postcard please? :P

brianb
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by brianb » Mon Jun 18, 2007 11:50 pm

No you said "Would you walk aroun the town on a weekend night with out your kit/PPE on?"

I have been in a busy (anti-police) pub on a saturday night carrying out my duties with no PPE.

I have been in public order situations where my PPE has been restricted as it might send out the wrong message.

I could go on, but you keep coming up with "what ifs" and by your own admission, you say that you have found yourself in situations where PPE would have been no use to you even if you had it. Does that not prove what I am saying.

abdi1234
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by abdi1234 » Tue Jun 19, 2007 5:38 am

RE "I appreciate that. But at times....... something is better then nothing. Would you go out without your kit on then?"

I have on a quite a few occasions especially on hot days when the kit would give you away. The only thing you got is a mobile, RIPPA authorisation and a rough idea where your colleagues are.

mj12cz
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Post by mj12cz » Tue Jun 19, 2007 7:21 am

brianb wrote:
I have been in a busy (anti-police) pub on a saturday night carrying out my duties with no PPE.
In uniform or plain cloths?
"Its a mother beautiful bridge and its going to be there"

Save the cheer leader, save the world.....

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
George Orwell

micky
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by micky » Tue Jun 19, 2007 7:44 am

Ali

If it helps I have patrolled one of the most notorious estates in Britain day in and day out, on may occassions not only did I not have PPE but I didn't have a radio either. As you know throughout my career I never wore a stab proof vest.

I made arrests of the full range of people from murderer to minor public order from major league drug dealers to those with articles to commit crime.

Like most officers I have been duty bound to step in when off duty to make arrests without any communication with another officer and without and equipment whatsoever.

The answer to your question of course I d walk around the town with no PPE.

Police officers especially response officers are routinely sent to calls where people are armed with knives or where there is serious violence. They clearly need the equipment to allow them to intervene.

An SNT officer however even if they stumble across something will usually have the luxury of calling for back up before they intervene. I'm not convinced the case for them to have PPE is as strong. But it is easier for the management to train and equip all officers.

I have yet to see a case put forward for PCSOs to have PPE other than the "just in case" one.
never regret the future.

brianb
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by brianb » Tue Jun 19, 2007 9:35 am

mj12cz wrote:
brianb wrote:
In uniform or plain cloths?
Both

mattd
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by mattd » Tue Jun 19, 2007 9:43 am

tony wrote: SHOULD BE!!!! SHOULD BE!!! but the point we keep hammering and that people keep avoiding in there arguements is ITS NOT! its all very well quoting from a rule book or a set of instructions but if that dosent match up with whats actually happening then thts when you need to change things. like now...
Dont shout dear, im not deaf.

The vast majority of occasions PCSOs have posted here that they needed PPE have occured, IMO , because they were prepared to act outside their remit. There are a few occasions when acting within the remit PPE would have been required and for those i feel there should be adequate PPE issued.

I simply disagree with the reasons given on many occasions here- lost of these situations could be avoided by sticking to the training and role properly.
These are my views and are not representative of the Police service with which i serve....plus most of what i say is pretty useless anyway :-)

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic