FEDERATION - STRIKE ACTION - PCSO's

PCSO stuff ONLY: Burning issues, high profile questions or cases that have been highlighted in national or local news, let's talk about them IN HERE! A link to the item would be great where possible.

Moderator: national-PCSOs

The Police Federation should

You may select 1 option

View results

jimbo
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by jimbo » Mon May 16, 2005 10:45 pm

dee wrote:between you me and the garden gate the custody assistants in Darlington have a hard job when it comes to breaking in a new sgt, but much to their credit they do a fine job and it doesnt take the sgts long to get the hang of the job....

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Does dim rhaid i chi ddweud dim byd. Ond gall niweidio eich amddiffyniad os na fyddwch chi’n son, wrth gael eich holi am rywbeth y byddwch chi’n dibynnu arno nes ymlaen yn y Llys. Gall unrhyw beth yr ydych yn ei ddweud gael ei roi fel tystiolaeth.

kentishman
Executive Officer
Executive Officer

Post by kentishman » Tue May 17, 2005 9:37 am

micky wrote:PCSOs and the FED

Let me make this clear you will not be invited to join the FED

These things are put on the agenda to allow the views of the FED reps to be aired and reported on.

Can never say NEVER micky!!!!

I wouldn't be surprised if we are invited to join the Fed in 5 years time or so (if we are still around!), but i dont think it will be before then.

The Federation are clearly concerned about how PCSO's are trained, managed, recruited, and deployed and therefore they believe that maybe they should have a bigger say on future proposals put forward regarding the PCSO role and numbers . One way of doing that is taking on PCSO's as members of the Federation so they can chair any future meetings about our roles with a bit more clout/power.

Whether this is will be good for us remains to be seen , although i'm very sceptical about their tactics.
Last edited by kentishman on Tue May 17, 2005 10:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kentishman.

jimbo
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by jimbo » Tue May 17, 2005 1:27 pm

It'll be interesting to see how it gets debated by the Fed. Have to try and get hold of a transcript of it afterwards.
Does dim rhaid i chi ddweud dim byd. Ond gall niweidio eich amddiffyniad os na fyddwch chi’n son, wrth gael eich holi am rywbeth y byddwch chi’n dibynnu arno nes ymlaen yn y Llys. Gall unrhyw beth yr ydych yn ei ddweud gael ei roi fel tystiolaeth.

CIDB
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by CIDB » Tue May 17, 2005 8:52 pm

I am sure it will be in all the newspapers mate.

kentishman
Executive Officer
Executive Officer

Post by kentishman » Tue May 17, 2005 10:32 pm

jimbo wrote:It'll be interesting to see how it gets debated by the Fed. Have to try and get hold of a transcript of it afterwards.

In green are the relevent bits from Jan Berry's opening speech to the Federation conference. Much to my surprise she doesn't seem to be to critical of us and she even accepts that we do have a role to play within the police service.
Tomorrow they will be discussing more about PCSO's with Charles Clake taking the stand at some stage. Maybe the mood will change and we will get a bashing afterall.

On Thursday morning we will be joined by Professor Tim Newburn who will provide an overview of Public Sector Reform, comparing and contrasting what is happening in the rest of the public sector with what is happening in policing. He will take a look into the future and predict how Workforce Modernisation might be expected to develop still further. Later on Thursday morning we will focus on four areas of Workforce Modernisation: PCSO’s, Civilian Investigators, Custody and HATO’s.

We will examine what works and what does not work. Your experience and involvement in this debate is vital. The civilianisation process has been conducted with no real template, blueprint or vision, it is largely uncontrolled. Last years HMIC report failed to differentiate and provide the much needed guidance.

In the absence of direction from elsewhere we set about providing our own. We began by asking colleagues about their experience of working with PCSO’s and based on what they told us, in January, we agreed a role profile for PCSO’s, it acknowledges a patrolling function, it sets out a series of functions that are usefully undertaken by PCSO’s but, crucially, it clearly states PCSO’s should not be used in confrontational situations. We now need to develop this process and bring some much needed clarity to the wider debate. In particular we need to be able to differentiate between sworn and unsworn officers.

Here's the link to her speech for those who are interested. :wink:
http://www.polfed.org/chairmans_opening_speech.pdf
Kentishman.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic