PCSO Development

PCSO stuff ONLY: Burning issues, high profile questions or cases that have been highlighted in national or local news, let's talk about them IN HERE! A link to the item would be great where possible.

Moderator: national-PCSOs

What's your ongoing training like?

You may select 1 option

View results

tim419
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by tim419 » Fri Jul 22, 2005 12:13 pm

Cheers Ali - you too! As an ex-Special and police staff person (in the late '80s when I was a young spotty oik) before joining as a PC, I know very well what it's like to work your socks off and still be faced with some people who treat you as 2nd best.

The service has come a long way since those days (even if it doesn't seem like it sometimes). I'm lucky that my current post gives me a chance to challenge perceptions and make a bit of a difference sometimes.

No disrespect to your fine colleagues in Essex, but as we in the Met lead where others follow (!), if the MPS ever did take up the Senior PCSO thing before anyone else, I shall PM you directly OK!

alihowe
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Class: 'Crimson Warrior'
Alignment: 'Vampire'
Sacred: 'Dragoon'

Post by alihowe » Fri Jul 22, 2005 12:16 pm

A man of wisdom....

I look forward to hear from you 8)
GROWING OLD IS COMPULSARY, GROWING UP IS OPTIONAL.

"You live more in five minutes on a bike like this than most people do in their entire lives."

jimbo
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by jimbo » Fri Jul 22, 2005 12:25 pm

tim419 wrote: No disrespect to your fine colleagues in Essex, but as we in the Met lead where others follow (!), if the MPS ever did take up the Senior PCSO thing before anyone else, I shall PM you directly OK!
Tim, some County forces already emply PCSO supervisors, and have done for quite a while. I'll try and find details of some of them and post them.

tim419
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by tim419 » Fri Jul 22, 2005 12:32 pm

Thanks, that would be very interesting. I was up at the PCSO training centre at Hendon recently and was impressed with some of the developments and plans they have up there. Any info would be appreciated, for a forthcoming discussion group about Best Practice etc.

Cheers!

jimbo
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by jimbo » Fri Jul 22, 2005 12:49 pm

Tim, I've been told that Leicestershire Police have supervisors. Also might be worth checking out these threads, which discuss the idea of PCSO supervisors - I'm almost certain that some of our members are currently PCSO supervisors, although not 100%... :wink:

http://www.national-pcsos.co.uk/phpbb2/ ... supervisor

http://www.national-pcsos.co.uk/phpbb2/ ... supervisor

tim419
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by tim419 » Fri Jul 22, 2005 1:04 pm

Cheers - good stuff. Thanks :D

sharyn
Official Member
Official Member

Post by sharyn » Fri Jul 22, 2005 2:45 pm

do you think i will be patrolling with PC's now and again Tim, start my training as PCs, on Mon for four weeks, then going to weetwood division Leeds.

tim419
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by tim419 » Sun Jul 24, 2005 1:04 am

Sharyn hi! First of all very best of luck for next week, well done on patiently making it this far. The next four weeks will fly by and pretty soon you'll be out on the streets with our adoring public!

I can't speak for Leeds specifically, but there is no reason why you won't be working directly with police officers or a police team. In the Met we have some PCSO units which work as a separate unit (eg. central London security), but most are joint units mainly working together, eg. Safer Neighbourhoods or Transport Unit.

The best thing I'd advise is to go to your training centre with an open mind, give yourself time to find out what's what, and avoid the human temptation to make judgements based only on first impressions or how things or people appear at first meeting.These can often be very wrong!

Believe in yourself and the skills you bring to the Service, take time to learn additional skills and confidence in your new role, and most of all, if you see police officers or colleague PCSOs on the streets flying around and dealing with things, blah-ing away on the radio, realise that you are every bit as good as any of them and that on completion of the very short four week training course, you have as much right to put on the uniform of your home force, wear it with pride and serve your community in the style you feel is most appropriate.

We all started out as the 'new person' once upon a time, it's just that sometimes people forget that bit! You'll find support and encouragement both in and outside of the station - stay positive and focused, and don't let the few morons you will no doubt meet (again, inside or outside of the station!) put you off. I look forward ot hearing how you get on!

All the best :D

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic