PCSO Development

PCSO stuff ONLY: Burning issues, high profile questions or cases that have been highlighted in national or local news, let's talk about them IN HERE! A link to the item would be great where possible.

Moderator: national-PCSOs

What's your ongoing training like?

You may select 1 option

View results

alihowe
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Class: 'Crimson Warrior'
Alignment: 'Vampire'
Sacred: 'Dragoon'

Post by alihowe » Sun Jul 17, 2005 5:28 pm

I think people like Badger. BM, Guest and all the others should be banned from this site as they never have anything nice to say to anyone. All the folks on here are good people and even when we're having a debate about something stay polite and respectful to each other.

Badger, so if everyone's spelling is not as good as yours then so what. It's their personality that counts. Anyway, rant over.........

Have a nice day :D
GROWING OLD IS COMPULSARY, GROWING UP IS OPTIONAL.

"You live more in five minutes on a bike like this than most people do in their entire lives."

badger2124

Post by badger2124 » Mon Jul 18, 2005 4:23 am

I am terribly sorry, but humour never killed anyone. Had i realised this was a sarcasm-free-zone I would most certainly have chosen to conduct myself else-where. lighten up! stop worrying what people think of you! worrying is like a rocking chair, it kills time but wont get you anywhere!

(just to clarify, thats friendly advise not me being mean)

alihowe
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Post by alihowe » Mon Jul 18, 2005 10:19 am

There's humour and then there's being personal.......

It's great having light hearted debates on here and enjoying yourself, but when it starts to dig at someone on a personal level then that's when we all go on the defensive! We are one team and should be helping and supporting each other. Some of us experience enough ridicule out there on a daily bais as it is. Most of the time we use these forums for support and a safe haven 8)

You put some excellent points on here, but now and again you have a little jibe at someone, shame really :cry:

"You live more in five minutes on a bike like this than most people do in their entire lives."

jimbo
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by jimbo » Mon Jul 18, 2005 10:25 am

alihowe wrote:Some of us experience enough ridicule out there on a daily bais as it is.
Seconded!

tim419
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by tim419 » Mon Jul 18, 2005 5:11 pm

New PCSOs start with us for a week, in addition to the central 4 week course. We review central training, reinforce what was covered there (short test and similar fun...!) and look at specific issues on Borough, such as ward locations, dispersal zones, Prom Noms and intel systems etc, OST, officer safety issues, using radios with practical exercises, as well as a tour round the area, meeting key people and getting their faces known in the control room etc, to build a personal link. I also run 10-week Street Duties (probationer PCs from training centre) and Special Costabulary training - we've had some great mixed sessions of all three sections, along with colleagues from teams, which has worked well.

Several of our PCSOs have since joined the Job as PCs, with two coming back to the Borough to my Street Duties team, which has been good. Our training team is just a phonecall or email away and as the cliche says, "the door is always open." We're on hand for our PCSOs (or indeed any colleague) for queries or advice - if we don't know (common!), there's usually someone we can reach for an answer.

One PCSO was recently warned to attend court for the first time, with four weeks notice. At their request for help, we were able in advance (through the SN team sgt) to extend an invite to join our St Duties visit to Crown/Mags court, to see all the relevant stuff first hand and have a good day out. This is what it should be about hopefully.

We also hold regular PCSO-only training days, when just about all of them attend. Last session covered FPNs, Patrol Experience discussion and Intelligence session, crime scenes and "first actions" exercise at incidents.

So one answer is go and seek out your friendly local training manager and make a polite demand for some worthwhile training days! If you want to volunteer to help out setting things up/co-present on the day (without being lumbered naturally!), I can tell you it's much appreciated and good experience!
Last edited by tim419 on Tue Nov 06, 2007 2:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tim419
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by tim419 » Tue Jul 19, 2005 5:43 pm

xxx
Last edited by tim419 on Tue Nov 06, 2007 2:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PCSO1
Official Member
Official Member

Post by PCSO1 » Tue Jul 19, 2005 7:47 pm

tim 419 said:
What kind of support/post-Foundation trg do other places/forces provide for their PCSOs (ie. do any of you do anything really exciting that maybe we could shamelessly copy..!)?
I dont think anyone was intentionally ignoring you srg :D,

when i first came onto borough we went on a shift with one of the teams, that was a nice introduction to the borough

tim419
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by tim419 » Tue Jul 19, 2005 11:23 pm

Thanks PCSO1, glad things are going well and you had a good start. I hope that's what we manage to achieve more often than not, with a good all round team. Cheers!

falkor
Navigator
Navigator
Alignment: 'Xevious'

Post by falkor » Wed Jul 20, 2005 12:42 pm

tim419 wrote:We also hold regular PCSO-only training days, when just about all of them attend. Last session covered FPNs, Patrol Experience discussion and Intelligence session, crime scenes and "first actions" exercise at incidents.
hi Tim - great that PCSOs are receiving some comprehensive training, that is good news

but it appalls me that so many PCs across the MET (and the UK) have such a bad lack of knowledge on PCSOs/ their powers/ their limitations

to my knowledge - no training on what powers PCSOs have or don't have - is being put over to either Custody Officers, OR PCs!! In far too many cases (the vast majority probably!), front line cops, Custody Officers - even Duty Officers haven't A CLUE what PCSOs can do!! Enter a building by force under s17 to save life or limb? You're joking?! Seize a car by force which was used to cause alarm? NO WAY!! Arrest a suspect who failed to give a PCSO his name and address? What for? Is that an offence then? The absolutely unbelievable LACK of training on this score, is quite appalling, but what is being done about it? ZILCH as far as I can see

what do you think Tim?

alihowe
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Post by alihowe » Wed Jul 20, 2005 10:03 pm

falkor wrote: but it appalls me that so many PCs across the MET (and the UK) have such a bad lack of knowledge on PCSOs/ their powers/ their limitations
Well said Falkor, I'm apalled too. We've been around long enough now, well most of us anyway :roll:

sharyn
Official Member
Official Member

Post by sharyn » Wed Jul 20, 2005 10:10 pm

god, I'm breaking out in hot sweats, thinking Ive just paid loads of money for a pair of magnums that might only get used for training! :shock:

alihowe
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Post by alihowe » Wed Jul 20, 2005 11:00 pm

sharyn wrote:god, I'm breaking out in hot sweats, thinking Ive just paid loads of money for a pair of magnums that might only get used for training! :shock:
No you won't, you'll be walking miles in them 8)

sharyn
Official Member
Official Member

Post by sharyn » Wed Jul 20, 2005 11:03 pm

bought the wollie socks to go with them!

tim419
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by tim419 » Fri Jul 22, 2005 11:44 am

Dear Falkor, Ali and others - sorry for delay, result of security shifts. I'm off today (and hoping to get a bit of time off over next week's half term!). I agree very much - the lack of understanding about PCSOs role and powers etc is incredible sometimes, as is some people's willingness to hear a bit of gossip or rumour and accept it at face value without any further thought. That's where people such as all of us come in - if we can continue to spread positive news and actual fact at a local level where we serve, then that's a big start!

The situation in London at the moment has enabled PCSOs to demonstrate just what they can do. Leaving aside any comment generally about what has happened, many of my colleagues have been impressed with the way PCSOs collectively have stepped up and taken on important roles. As police staff, they are not under the strict regulations we are as police officers. However, on my central Borough and others, PCSOs have volunteered to take on any post required, whether it is extended tours on their wards, gate-guarding at the police station gates or performing some other duty to release or support a PC. Not one has refused any request or complained about short notice shift changes. People have called up on their days off saying they're coming in - it's been a real team effort across this area of the Met, and I know we're not unique. So in line with my earlier comments, actions speak louder than words, and the actions of our PCSO colleagues have been exemplary.

On a second note re: supervision: it's true that some sgts and insps have no idea who PCSOs are and may not know how to deploy them best. It seems strange that traffic wardens (with their now limited role) have up to four levels of supervisor grade, special constables have five supervisor grades and yet PCSOs, with a wider role and much greater presence on the streets than either, have no senior grades at all. There must surely be a case for introducing a Senior PCSO grade, someone who can co-ordinate their colleagues to assist and advise a sgt or insp, or incident commander at a scene. Also a Senior PCSO (or whatever they may be called) could take care of welfare, discipline and standards, reports etc, for those many times when a team sgt or PC isn't there. There are some excellent people out there who could take up this role NOW - having read a number of Ali's posts and thoughts, I can't think of a finer candidate to demonstrate the skills someone in this post would need to have.

Things ARE changing - I think we should keep an optimistic eye on the future!

On a final note (wow sorry, too long a post, I'l stop for breath n a minute!) - this excellent site has helped me a lot with the work I'm doing on Borough, and it's been very interesting reading posts by PCSOs from other forces. However, without wishing to state the obvious, could I just please suggest (in the present climate) that we all take care to keep our points and comments to a general level, and avoid anything that may identify our personal locations, stations or other personal details. This website and forum site can be accessed by ANYONE with an email account, and although 99% of us are here for the right reasons, it is still open to those with other motivations, from journalists seeking a sensational anti-PCSO story or even those carrying out wide backgroud intelligence trawling of info, supporting the criminal activities currently happening around us.

Keep up the good work everyone - Sharyn, get those boots ready mate!

alihowe
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Post by alihowe » Fri Jul 22, 2005 11:53 am

Tim you're so inspiring and I love reading your posts, full of great points and lots of valuable information :D

I'm glad you are on board here and hope that you stay and continue with your positive comments and feedback, it's brilliant 8)

Keep up the good work and stay safe xx

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic