PCSO's replaceing station officers?

PCSO stuff ONLY: Burning issues, high profile questions or cases that have been highlighted in national or local news, let's talk about them IN HERE! A link to the item would be great where possible.

Moderator: national-PCSOs

falkor
Navigator
Navigator
Alignment: 'Xevious'

Post by falkor » Wed Jan 03, 2007 1:22 pm

Police reception officers could face unemployment
Comment

Civilian staff employed by the Met Police are facing an uncertain New Year after a leaked email revealed they could be out of work by April.

The Met is proposing to reconsider the role of station reception officers (SROs) and replace them on the front desk with Police Community Support Officers (PCSOs).

Staff at Chiswick police station in the High Road are unhappy and the Public and Commercial Services Union (PCS) have released a statement blasting the Met for "taking the eyes and ears off the street in their agenda to police London as cheaply as they can".

One SRO at Chiswick who wanted to remain anonymous said: "It's scandalous to leave us guessing about our jobs, especially at this time of year.

"We are either expected to do a harder job for the same money or move aside."

However, Superintendent Clive Chalk of Hounslow police insists the concept is at a very early stage.

He said: "The Met is exploring the role of the SRO and looking to expand what they do. It gives them the chance work in other areas."

He also emphasised that the PCSOs working in front offices will be well trained.

Reception officers are the first people that members of the public see when they enter a police station.

They also gather evidence which could be presented in court and are trained in dealing with vulnerable witnesses and victims of crime.

Their role mirrors that of police officers but they cannot make arrests.

The proposals would see SROs replaced by PCSOs, whose main purpose currently is to patrol the community and provide a reassuring presence and back up for police officers.

The decision was taken after the Greater London Authority agreed to give the Met 4,000 PCSOs to patrol the streets of London.

Paul Edwards, PCSO local representative, said: "We fear our jobs going will result in a real reduction in the face to face service local people get from the police.

"Coupled with this are plans to reduce every borough's 24-hour police stations which means that people in London are paying more but getting less policing for their money."

6:28am Sunday 31st December 2006 . . . . Comment

Esox
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Esox » Mon Jan 08, 2007 2:57 pm

Is this going to be a voluntary post to the front office or compulsory??
I dont want to be stuck in the front office, done my fair share of that as a PC I hate it..........

Anyhow PCSOS aren't allowed to do CRIS reports at the moment....if they give PCSOs much more they will soon be PCs LOL
Chris

COME ON YOU IRONS!!!!

Raven
Official Member
Official Member

Post by Raven » Sat Feb 24, 2007 12:08 pm

For information, SROss currently earn approx £4000 per year more than PCSOs. (did I hear someone say policing on the cheap?)

The plan at Richmond was to have 1 custody suit on the border with our neighbouring borough Kingston and BOTH boroughs would share which would mean transporting a prisoner caught on the other side, right across borough.

As for fully staffed local offices, they do not have fully staffed front offies and they are cut off from day to day contact with other officers and teams. It means that you lose all the interaction and contact with your colleagues
Last edited by Raven on Mon May 28, 2007 12:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If at first you don't succeed - head for the pub!

Cactus Jack
Registered Member
Registered Member

PCSO front Office

Post by Cactus Jack » Sat Apr 21, 2007 10:55 pm

I am currently training as a PCSO transferring from a Service Desk role which included front office duties.

As a PCSO in Essex we are not allowed at this moment to do front office duties.......in fact i've had all my PNC and STORM ( our incident recording system ) access taken away now i'm a PCSO, but this has been a hot topic in class. Our tutor states this isn't the role of a PCSO and shouldn't be allowed and i agree.

Having been in a Front Office role and seeing Police Officers do it on occassion, it just isn't right, our role is hi-visability policing not siting behind a desk
Essex Police PCSO
South Western Division
Pitsea

deb
Rookie Member

Post by deb » Tue May 15, 2007 7:30 pm

just come from a meeting today where sdo's are going to be incorporated into the neighbourhood policing team and pcso's, officers, volenteers and sdo's will all do stints at the front desk!!! does the station officer come out on patrol as well then?
you are not judged but how much you love others but by how much others love you.

sueb
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by sueb » Wed May 16, 2007 10:57 am

all sounds a bit like the right doesnt know what the left is doing to me....

the bosses say 1 thing then once passed on it gets changed around abit and ends up nothing like what the boss ment it to be.

i doubt they'll give us front desk jobs cos 1 it would involve more trianing and its not in my contract.

if they do by the end of it all it'll be my 3rd new contract i'll have had..1st pay drop, then name change which im still waiting for then the front desk 1.

i wish they'd make up there minds ive never been in a job with so many changes in it.....

jimbo
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by jimbo » Wed May 16, 2007 11:57 am

deb wrote:pcso's, officers, volenteers and sdo's will all do stints at the front desk!!!
Excellent. So less police and pcsos on the street then? Perfect use of resources... :roll:
Does dim rhaid i chi ddweud dim byd. Ond gall niweidio eich amddiffyniad os na fyddwch chi’n son, wrth gael eich holi am rywbeth y byddwch chi’n dibynnu arno nes ymlaen yn y Llys. Gall unrhyw beth yr ydych yn ei ddweud gael ei roi fel tystiolaeth.

Raven
Official Member
Official Member

Post by Raven » Mon May 28, 2007 12:55 pm

It is saving money and getting more people into uniform.

SROs did not join to go on patrol and so they should not have to. this is a clear abuse of power to force them out onto the streets.

The talk was always of blurring the lines between police and pcso's now this is blurring the line again but in another direction.
If at first you don't succeed - head for the pub!

8u11d0g

Post by 8u11d0g » Sat Jun 16, 2007 9:27 pm

I have my FEO or LSTO as there now called training in 4 weeks time consisting of 2 days in case of sickness and what not.

On OIS it is already showing me as covering 2 days after xmas on the front desk. Not only will i have had 5 weeks less training then an FEO but i will be on the desk on one of the busiest periods of the year :(

Joy for me :(

abdi1234
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by abdi1234 » Sat Jun 16, 2007 9:34 pm

I wouldn't worry, everyone who starts in the front office is dropped in the deep end. Give it a couple of days and it will get easier and maybe within a year your be able to handle most things. :)

tomds
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by tomds » Sun Jun 17, 2007 9:52 am

Might I add the chances of police officers being replaced by pcsos is highly unlikely!!! Our role is very important but at the end of the day we cant respond to anything which is confrontational.

jimbo
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by jimbo » Sun Jun 17, 2007 1:28 pm

abdi1234 wrote:I wouldn't worry, everyone who starts in the front office is dropped in the deep end. Give it a couple of days and it will get easier and maybe within a year your be able to handle most things. :)
Took well over a year for me.

SROs still run the shop when they are around, us PCs just make a mess and break things when we are in there.
Does dim rhaid i chi ddweud dim byd. Ond gall niweidio eich amddiffyniad os na fyddwch chi’n son, wrth gael eich holi am rywbeth y byddwch chi’n dibynnu arno nes ymlaen yn y Llys. Gall unrhyw beth yr ydych yn ei ddweud gael ei roi fel tystiolaeth.

lonerider
Executive Officer
Executive Officer

Post by lonerider » Sun Aug 05, 2007 6:51 pm

We/I in the MET have be told by our union NOT to agree to ANY move to be placed at the front counter desk.

I would not want to do that job. To much grief.

Any concerns contact your rep

Leviathan
Registered Member
Registered Member

Post by Leviathan » Mon Aug 06, 2007 1:23 pm

lonerider wrote:We/I in the MET have be told by our union NOT to agree to ANY move to be placed at the front counter desk.

I would not want to do that job. To much grief.

Any concerns contact your rep
I think they may have headed you off at the pass so to speak. People are being recruited specifically as Station PCSOs. A main role of these is to man the front desk. This obviously bypasses the need to move people already employed by a force into an area they do not wis to go.

oli
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by oli » Sun Aug 12, 2007 9:35 pm

We are told that we do not cover the desk under any circs because we are meant to be on the streets.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic