Orange safety button

PCSO stuff ONLY: Burning issues, high profile questions or cases that have been highlighted in national or local news, let's talk about them IN HERE! A link to the item would be great where possible.

Moderator: national-PCSOs

when would you use your orange button

You may select 1 option

View results

alihowe
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Class: 'Crimson Warrior'
Alignment: 'Vampire'
Sacred: 'Dragoon'

Post by alihowe » Tue Oct 03, 2006 8:42 pm

This button is only to be used when the s**t is really about to hit the fan. ie: your immediate safety is compromised or that of a colleague or a member of the public. It cuts all other traffic out and could prevent someone with a real UA from being heard. Just remember that! :wink:

My colleague who I was patrolling with had to press it once, when two well know people launched themsleves at us and said "I'M GOING TO F***ING KILL YOU!" and this was the only time. Police were there in minutes, these two put up a fight and CS and Batons were used. We wouldn't have stood a chance if my colleague didn't press the orange button and just shouted our location out to control :shock:
GROWING OLD IS COMPULSARY, GROWING UP IS OPTIONAL.

"You live more in five minutes on a bike like this than most people do in their entire lives."

Maka
Official Member
Official Member

Post by Maka » Tue Oct 03, 2006 8:47 pm

Never pressed it, and hope I don't have to, I would only press it if me or my collegues life was in danger.

stu
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by stu » Wed Oct 04, 2006 9:30 pm

The problem is when people press the orange button when they really didnt need too! It is a last resort i need help button but the amount of times ive heard people press it for less urgent things when a call up on main channel would of been enough! Its about educating people in the use of their radio.
Remember he who dare's wins (only fools and horses)

What you see is not always what you get!

jedrick999
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by jedrick999 » Thu Oct 05, 2006 11:34 am

i was on patrol with a partner for once!! Went down to one of my hot spots a locl little shopping area with a fast food place newsagents a onestop and a bookies! whilst dealing with some underage drinkers some young girls came running to ussaying tey been beat up we walked round the corner 10 yards and noticed a big fight called up on main air for assistance and managed to stop the fight between a number of youths and a adult...Then all of a sudden some more youths came running ound the corner and tried to start another one!!!

All fun and games! the usual story no nicking or complaints!

Jimmy_bobby
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by Jimmy_bobby » Thu Oct 05, 2006 12:40 pm

I have never used my orange button in almost two years.

I have been in a situation where a colleague pressed it.
I personally didn’t think it was worth it but they obviously did. We were in a van with our Sgt, a bloke stopped us, he said he had just been assaulted and showed us his bloody mouth with a tooth missing, said the guy was at the top of the street wearing NY hoodie.

Sgt whacks on the blues and 2’s and shoots up the road, we see the suspect, all jump out as he has a few mates with him, just me and PCSO colleague and one Sgt.
Male starts to play up, Sgt cuffs him, then aggrieved bloke comes back for an argument with him, were trying to push them away from each other and calm things down.
The PCSO I was with pressed the button, I wouldn’t have in that situation unless it turned violent, it was just shouting at this stage. (every officer, including deskbound coppers rushed to our aid which was great)
Offender got nicked, Sgt thanked us for our help, Inspector sent emails thanking us again.

I would only use the orange button if I feared for my own immediate safety or a MOP’s.

tim419
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by tim419 » Fri Oct 06, 2006 11:15 am

Great piece of work, nice one!

Big-Si
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by Big-Si » Sat Oct 07, 2006 10:08 am

had to use it for both options on more than one occasion.

I must say that the met do have a better response than my force, however that's due to volume of officers and the fact it is a concentrated area. By division is 350 sq miles mostly rural withthe odd town and village so we're fairly spread out
Ex PCSO

Lieutenant fatman
Counsellor
Counsellor
Class: 'Paladin'

Post by Lieutenant fatman » Thu Oct 12, 2006 3:42 pm

I haven't used it myself. Hopefully won't need to either. Of course it's only for an emergency but it's your call as to what that is. I chased some drug dealers down the street and didn't use it, but in the circumstances I did not believe anyone was in any immediate danger.

stu
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by stu » Fri Oct 13, 2006 11:46 pm

Nice one LT Fatman, at the end of the day it is your call! You press it as a last resort if you, a colleague or a member of the public are in grave danger! In a split second you may have to make that choice! As long as its the right one there is no problem, better sometimes to get help if it is needed as you dont get a second chance! :roll:
Remember he who dare's wins (only fools and horses)

What you see is not always what you get!

Headset 57
Elite Legion
Elite Legion

Post by Headset 57 » Sat Oct 14, 2006 12:45 am

I have used it in a footie chase after an off duty PC was assaulted by a shoplifter and did a runner. Not that urgent but; mainly cause on Airwave i couldn"t get an Active out as i was being overidden by other units on routine traffic calls. The only way was to push Orange and do a quick running comm, which resulted in BTP City and Met attending and detaining a male nearby.

The thing with BTP is that the MICC ( Management Information Communications Centre ) is in central London and covers 14 County Force areas and 3 BTP London areas with 2 or 3 radio operators covering 5 channels including PNC.
'You can always find a Question for an Answer
But you can't always find an Answer for a Question'

jimbo
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by jimbo » Sat Oct 14, 2006 3:06 pm

I agree Jeff - there are occasions when an officer somewhere is blatting away blithering on about frankly nothing with a colleague, and you have a prisoner who's getting a bit griefy - certainly makes the orange button more attractive.

I know that on at least one occasion in the last two months I've used it in order to shut people up and get a van running to me. Not fast enough unfortunately, and I ended up getting assaulted for my troubles. That was a perfect example of stupid Jimbo trying to keep his pride and not use the UA button in order to get a van unit running. :roll:

Simple fact is if you feel under threat in any way and you can't cut through the radio traffic without it, go for it!
Does dim rhaid i chi ddweud dim byd. Ond gall niweidio eich amddiffyniad os na fyddwch chi’n son, wrth gael eich holi am rywbeth y byddwch chi’n dibynnu arno nes ymlaen yn y Llys. Gall unrhyw beth yr ydych yn ei ddweud gael ei roi fel tystiolaeth.

falkor
Navigator
Navigator
Alignment: 'Xevious'

Post by falkor » Sat Oct 14, 2006 3:18 pm

flippin heck jimbo, sorry to read that :x
jimbo wrote:Simple fact is if you feel under threat in any way and you can't cut through the radio traffic without it, go for it!
hehe jimbo TOO RIGHT!! quite agree :wink:

alihowe
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Class: 'Crimson Warrior'
Alignment: 'Vampire'
Sacred: 'Dragoon'

Post by alihowe » Sat Oct 14, 2006 6:01 pm

Oh Jimbo, are you OK? Poor you :cry:
GROWING OLD IS COMPULSARY, GROWING UP IS OPTIONAL.

"You live more in five minutes on a bike like this than most people do in their entire lives."

Headset 57
Elite Legion
Elite Legion

Post by Headset 57 » Sun Oct 15, 2006 1:07 am

Jimbo i quite agree.
Allthough i did get the attention of the whole of the pan London channel with an Active message once when i couldn"t get a word in. It went along the lines of :

"Oh shut the fcuk up! ( which actually came over the air i was told afterwards, you know one of those oops i pushed the PTT a bit early there, :oops: but still ) "

BX ACTIVE, WATERLOO, NO.1 ( platform ), START ME A VAN.

I tend to prefer to have units running ( which on BTP is a winner if they get there on the same shift) :lol: and then cancel once the first is on scene and is sufficient to deal.

That got everyones attention and the sweet sound of units and sirens making towards you with units putting up for it, allthough you don"t really hear much radio traffic when your concentrating on particular people, if you know what i mean. :wink:

Hope your all right now and are your division on Airwave yet or still carrying Metsets?>
'You can always find a Question for an Answer
But you can't always find an Answer for a Question'

jimbo
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by jimbo » Sun Oct 15, 2006 2:39 pm

falkor wrote:flippin heck jimbo, sorry to read that :x
alihowe wrote:Oh Jimbo, are you OK? Poor you :cry:
Headset 57 wrote:Hope your all right now and are your division on Airwave yet or still carrying Metsets?>
Jeff - Nope - no airwaves. Met Radios work fine for me, UA button is more effective on them than airwaves in the met anyway!

Thanks people, I'm fine. :wink: I had minor nerve damage to my wrist, hand and arm and stiffness to my hand and fingers, as well as bleeding from the bottom of my wrist.

It's NOT my fault, he was a horrible little git who was going to fight from the off. What is my fault is not getting the van unit there earlier, and being too proud to press the orange button! :roll: He could have assaulted my colleague, and he had his friend with him as well. It's just a good reminder (to me mainly!) to not be afraid of calling for help.

Two days off work and two trips to see the doctor from that, still kicking myself. I'm not the war wound type, who feels proud of getting a kicking, I prefer to keep myself healthy and violence to a minimum. :evil: :roll:

Ah well, it'll be interesting to see what happens at court about it
Does dim rhaid i chi ddweud dim byd. Ond gall niweidio eich amddiffyniad os na fyddwch chi’n son, wrth gael eich holi am rywbeth y byddwch chi’n dibynnu arno nes ymlaen yn y Llys. Gall unrhyw beth yr ydych yn ei ddweud gael ei roi fel tystiolaeth.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic