Do you do Crime Reports?

PCSO stuff ONLY: Burning issues, high profile questions or cases that have been highlighted in national or local news, let's talk about them IN HERE! A link to the item would be great where possible.

Moderator: national-PCSOs

Do you do Crime Reports? For PCSO's

You may select 1 option

View results

mj12cz
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Do you do Crime Reports?

Post by mj12cz » Sat Feb 10, 2007 8:14 pm

Ok Everybody, here we go again, I'm donning my Tin Hat and Flak jacket for this one... :lol: :wink:

One of the new powers we have also been given is the ability to do our own Crime Reports, the conditions apply...

Criminal damage up to £500
Theft up to £250
No more than 6 a day... they then go to the regs if it goes above that to stop us being lumbered with paperwork.
Only allowed to do them on your own beat.

So do you guys do this as well, PCSO's obviously... Police officers feel free to have your say of course... :wink: :lol:
"Its a mother beautiful bridge and its going to be there"

Save the cheer leader, save the world.....

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
George Orwell

CIDB
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by CIDB » Sat Feb 10, 2007 9:09 pm

been doing CID105 ( crime complaint forms in essex ) for years mate, Its not big deal mate, just another bit of paper, in our none paperwork role :wink:

micky
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by micky » Sat Feb 10, 2007 9:11 pm

One of the new powers we have also been given is the ability to do our own Crime Reports
Reporting crimes is not a power it is a policy decision by your force.

I do however have my concerns around this, not because PCSOs are not as individuals capable of taking relevant details but because mistakes are bound to be made because of your limited training.

Would you for instance know when a theft became a more serious crime such as a robbery, a burglary, or a fraud?

Would you know when minor financial damage might amount to a more serious offence than just plain criminal damage.

These errors might mean that a crime was not properly investigated at the outset leading to a loss of evidence.
never regret the future.

TheRunningMan2006
Official Member
Official Member

Post by TheRunningMan2006 » Sat Feb 10, 2007 11:14 pm

We got taught law in:

Burglary
Theft
Robbery
Crim. Dam.

POCA
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by POCA » Sat Feb 10, 2007 11:29 pm

I don't see any reason why CSOs should not submit crime reports, however they may be bounced back at a higher rate by the crime auditors. After all, contact centre staff take crime reports in my force.

I do draw the line at investigating reported crime though.

stu
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by stu » Sun Feb 11, 2007 12:10 am

CIDB was my tutor so if i stuff up my crime complaint its down to him :wink:

Only joking Dave.
Remember he who dare's wins (only fools and horses)

What you see is not always what you get!

Funny Boy
Official Member
Official Member

Post by Funny Boy » Sun Feb 11, 2007 12:27 am

Talking of crime reports.

We are being trained on EAB's. Any of you guys do this yet.

Its part of the Mets new 6 week trainning programme.

CIDB
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by CIDB » Sun Feb 11, 2007 12:27 am

No probs mate. :wink:

Headset 57
Elite Legion
Elite Legion

Post by Headset 57 » Sun Feb 11, 2007 1:31 am

We do the whole bloody lot!.
Take vic and wit statements, even for some serious crimes and last night involved in a threats to kill with knives.

Our crime recording centre is national now so we can phone it across, after i"ve usually updated the log. Do have to keep reminding them that i"m the reporting, not investiugating officer though.
Last edited by Headset 57 on Sun Feb 11, 2007 7:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
'You can always find a Question for an Answer
But you can't always find an Answer for a Question'

mj12cz
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Post by mj12cz » Sun Feb 11, 2007 9:02 am

We do the crime reports and the inital enquiries, ie the goldern hour, and door to doors etc.

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
George Orwell

Esox
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Esox » Sun Feb 11, 2007 10:46 am

Blimey sounds like some of you are half-way to doing a PC role!!!!

If you are stuck doing cris's etc...you can't be a high viz deterent on the streets surely!!!
Chris

COME ON YOU IRONS!!!!

mj12cz
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Post by mj12cz » Sun Feb 11, 2007 11:09 am

Esox wrote:Blimey sounds like some of you are half-way to doing a PC role!!!!

If you are stuck doing cris's etc...you can't be a high viz deterent on the streets surely!!!
We have been doing door to doors since day 1. I was very secptical whan they told us we were doing crime reports at first, but as we only do it for the 2 offences it takes up no time. All it is is a form you fill in when you see the IP, do the door to doors and when you are back at the nik you fax it to CJIU. It give loads of hi vis and good contact with the IP.

The problem is when its a pint of milk stolen some times the CR is taken over the phone and, they do not get to see a uniform.... far better its done face to face. Every crime no matter how big or small has a victim.

George Orwell

Esox
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Esox » Sun Feb 11, 2007 2:53 pm

mj12cz wrote:
Esox wrote:Blimey sounds like some of you are half-way to doing a PC role!!!!

We have been doing door to doors since day 1. I was very secptical whan they told us we were doing crime reports at first, but as we only do it for the 2 offences it takes up no time. All it is is a form you fill in when you see the IP, do the door to doors and when you are back at the nik you fax it to CJIU. It give loads of hi vis and good contact with the IP.

The problem is when its a pint of milk stolen some times the CR is taken over the phone and, they do not get to see a uniform.... far better its done face to face. Every crime no matter how big or small has a victim.
Thats fair enough, so long as aren't expected to do a full investigation into the crime which does take time as I know.
Chris

COME ON YOU IRONS!!!!

sueb
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by sueb » Sun Feb 11, 2007 2:58 pm

we dont do crime report or though there is talk that pcso up my way are going to be doin them soon.

here's hoping cos it will ease the paper work that the PC's have to do and able us to help more.

Marlon
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by Marlon » Sun Feb 11, 2007 5:15 pm

sueb wrote:we dont do crime report or though there is talk that pcso up my way are going to be doin them soon.

Same here.

sueb wrote:here's hoping cos it will ease the paper work that the PC's have to do and able us to help more.

Given that our posts have already been through the job evaluation process, how many extra responsibilities would any of you be happy to take on board before you'd expect your post to be regraded upwards and your remuneration adjusted accordingly?

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic