Do you do Crime Reports?

PCSO stuff ONLY: Burning issues, high profile questions or cases that have been highlighted in national or local news, let's talk about them IN HERE! A link to the item would be great where possible.

Moderator: national-PCSOs

Do you do Crime Reports? For PCSO's

You may select 1 option

View results

alihowe
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Class: 'Crimson Warrior'
Alignment: 'Vampire'
Sacred: 'Dragoon'

Post by alihowe » Tue Mar 27, 2007 12:33 pm

Yes, that's the problem. If you get a PCSO who let's just say hasn't had thourough training on taking a Crime Complaint then that PCSO could be more of a hinderance rather than a help to that PC........

We had really good training back in 2003 on taking Crime Complaints, however I'm not sure if the new PCSO's are having this training, if they are then it's not as detailed as ours was. But like all things, we get better the more we do something. I think taking a Crime Complaint is quite nerve wracking for a new person, so I let them watch me take a few (to see what questions I ask) then help them do a couple and then I watch them do the rest on their own and don't jump in unless they're about to really c**k up! :shock: Then I'm there for them.........

Are there any forces that say a big NO NO to PCSO's taking the initial Crime Complaint. If so............. why?
GROWING OLD IS COMPULSARY, GROWING UP IS OPTIONAL.

"You live more in five minutes on a bike like this than most people do in their entire lives."

jackpot
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by jackpot » Tue Mar 27, 2007 12:39 pm

I don't really know how much, if at all, training our PCSO's get on this sort of thing. When I first started they didn't take crime reports, get CCTV or even leave the railway station. Thankfully, over time their, role as adapted slightly to A make it more interesting for them and B be of assistance to PC's like myself. Sadly, the downside is that they are now figure driven etc and now create more work that us PC's who do all the work for after can handle....

I'm sure it'll sort itself out eventually. After all, the job is very new in the grand scheme of things and will take a bit of time to settle down.
Police Officer

Headset 57
Elite Legion
Elite Legion

Post by Headset 57 » Fri Apr 13, 2007 2:10 am

jackpot wrote:I don't really know how much, if at all, training our PCSO's get on this sort of thing. When I first started they didn't take crime reports, get CCTV or even leave the railway station. Thankfully, over time their, role as adapted slightly to A make it more interesting for them and B be of assistance to PC's like myself. Sadly, the downside is that they are now figure driven etc and now create more work that us PC's who do all the work for after can handle....

I'm sure it'll sort itself out eventually. After all, the job is very new in the grand scheme of things and will take a bit of time to settle down.
We"ve been doing crime reports from day 1. We"ll also take MG"s from victims / witnesses. Figures are creeping into it but you can"t magic up a crime.
'You can always find a Question for an Answer
But you can't always find an Answer for a Question'

DANGEROUS TIGER
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by DANGEROUS TIGER » Fri Apr 13, 2007 7:49 am

Na. We dont do them.
LIVE WELL, DIE WELL

alihowe
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Post by alihowe » Fri Apr 13, 2007 4:09 pm

We are doing more Crime Complaints now then ever before. Sometimes I think that we are being 'used'.......... other times I think... Oh well we're there, it's just happened so we'lll do the intitial recording of the crime. I'm not sure if we're meant to be doing as many as we are, but we just do what we're told to do I suppose.

"You live more in five minutes on a bike like this than most people do in their entire lives."

sanka

Crime Reports Durham Constabulary

Post by sanka » Mon Apr 16, 2007 12:23 am

So far we are not doing crime reports, although it will be coming into play shortly. We have however been granted the powers to take statements, assist in house searches and front counter duties etc.

I think PCSOs doing crime reports should be a no no as the whole point of us being here is to provide reassurance to our communities by providing a high visibility presence which the PC's cannot do.

But now it appears the force's plans throughout the country is to abuse the roles and responsibilities of a PCSO. Soon, we will not be patrolling the streets but the inside of the station completing paperwork for PC's who would rather drive around with their flashing lights

alihowe
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Re: Crime Reports Durham Constabulary

Post by alihowe » Mon Apr 16, 2007 6:28 pm

mrcoops1984 wrote:So far we are not doing crime reports, although it will be coming into play shortly. We have however been granted the powers to take statements, assist in house searches and front counter duties etc.
They don't let you do Crime Reports which take literally minutes, but they do let you take statements which can take ages to do? I don't see the logic in this. We are strictly forbidden from taking statement, but we can do our own regarding incidents we have attended :?
mrcoops1984 wrote:I think PCSOs doing crime reports should be a no no as the whole point of us being here is to provide reassurance to our communities by providing a high visibility presence which the PC's cannot do.
How are you providing reasurrance and a visible presence when you're sitting in a room for ages taking a statement? A Crime Report can be done there and then and very quickly once you get used to the format. I don't get it :?
mrcoops1984 wrote:But now it appears the force's plans throughout the country is to abuse the roles and responsibilities of a PCSO. Soon, we will not be patrolling the streets but the inside of the station completing paperwork for PC's who would rather drive around with their flashing lights
Hopefully it won't come to this. I don't mind us doing more so long as it doesn't take us off our beats. We help out as much as we can, but there's also a line that shouldn't be crossed.

sanka

Post by sanka » Wed Apr 18, 2007 12:00 am

Ahhhhh.........i assumed that you took statements as well as crime reports as it would make sense to either do both or none at all. I don't mind doing these extra duties for a while to be honest as I want to become a PC and it's a cracking insight and good experience. However, they are slowly but surely bringing in more roles of PCs for PCSOs as in statements etc so release police officers so they can crack on with their jobs or go out in their cars.

I would like to see a plan which the government may have put together regarding the long term plans for roles and responsities of a PCSO. I would be much happier when all PCSO roles are nationalised to we all know where we're at but even then, it's still going to be discretionary whether we should be given powers to detain or not. hmmmm.....

wolffy

Post by wolffy » Wed Apr 18, 2007 7:38 pm

Calderdale Div in West yorks,We do Criminal damage and TFMV DTMV and burglary other etc, so long as there are no suspects,any suspects and a PC has to do them.

we HAVE to take all criminal damage reports PC's can not do them,this is a new policy, which is just not working, if there is a damage outside my area but no PCSO on duty in that area, then a PCSO has to be transported out of their own area by a PC or Sgt taken to the job and while the PCSO is dealing with the damage the PC or Sgt has to wait in their car for them to finish.. crazy.( own transport and it would be fine)

But I feel the actual dealing with the crime does not take you of the streets as you have to do house to house etc anyhow, and the recording the crime only takes 5 mins on the phone and 10 mins or so for your working sheet.

jimbo
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by jimbo » Thu Apr 19, 2007 12:01 am

The met doesn't let PCSOs do crime reports, which I quite agree with; the amount we have to do, and the huge amount of time it takes to put one on, would mean that PCSOs would get next to no time at all on the street.

Although I'd love it if I could pass my CRIS reports on to CSOs to do. :twisted:
Does dim rhaid i chi ddweud dim byd. Ond gall niweidio eich amddiffyniad os na fyddwch chi’n son, wrth gael eich holi am rywbeth y byddwch chi’n dibynnu arno nes ymlaen yn y Llys. Gall unrhyw beth yr ydych yn ei ddweud gael ei roi fel tystiolaeth.

Headset 57
Elite Legion
Elite Legion

Post by Headset 57 » Thu Apr 19, 2007 12:32 am

Takes about 15 mniutes from the victim onto a crime sheet or PNB, then 3 minutes to log it onto the incident and then 30 seconds call to the national Crime Recording Centre ( CRC ) and say it"s all there, time day date place, suspects/victims/ property, contacts. They then crime it automatically and "e" it off to the relevant crime desk.
'You can always find a Question for an Answer
But you can't always find an Answer for a Question'

jimbo
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by jimbo » Thu Apr 19, 2007 12:39 am

Headset 57 wrote:Takes about 15 mniutes from the victim onto a crime sheet or PNB, then 3 minutes to log it onto the incident and then 30 seconds call to the national Crime Recording Centre ( CRC ) and say it"s all there, time day date place, suspects/victims/ property, contacts. They then crime it automatically and "e" it off to the relevant crime desk.
That's cos you lucky beggars can phone it in; here in metland we have to return to the nick and enter the dets in all long hand in an antiquated computer system that repeats itself over and over again.

I'm only jealous...
Does dim rhaid i chi ddweud dim byd. Ond gall niweidio eich amddiffyniad os na fyddwch chi’n son, wrth gael eich holi am rywbeth y byddwch chi’n dibynnu arno nes ymlaen yn y Llys. Gall unrhyw beth yr ydych yn ei ddweud gael ei roi fel tystiolaeth.

alihowe
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Post by alihowe » Thu Apr 19, 2007 10:01 am

jimbo wrote:The met doesn't let PCSOs do crime reports, which I quite agree with; the amount we have to do, and the huge amount of time it takes to put one on, would mean that PCSOs would get next to no time at all on the street.

Although I'd love it if I could pass my CRIS reports on to CSOs to do. :twisted:
No disrespect to MetPol, but they don't seem to let their PCSO's do very much! :roll: If it's going to take some pressure of their PC colleagues and still be a hi vis presence then I don't really see what the problem is :? It doesn't take very long to do one, and so long as there's no suspects etc PCSO's should easily be able to do them. Even if there are suspects, CCTV and other evidence this can all be noted down and it's then a 'heads up' for the OIC that is allocated to that job. Makes sense really.

jackpot
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by jackpot » Thu Apr 19, 2007 10:46 am

Oh, and Met Police Officers, especially on response in central London, have some of the least amount of paperwork going so you can't have it both ways! :twisted: :wink:

They nick, MG11, handover back on the streets. I nick, its MG11, statement taking, interview, bail, get CCTV, more statements, write up file, decision, charge... the works (all whist having numerous enquiries in my tray to boot...). :P
Police Officer

deb
Rookie Member

Post by deb » Tue May 15, 2007 7:56 pm

herts do Crime reports but phone them from the scene via airwaves .. no paperwork and we're still on the beat!!!!
you are not judged but how much you love others but by how much others love you.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic