Do you do Crime Reports?

PCSO stuff ONLY: Burning issues, high profile questions or cases that have been highlighted in national or local news, let's talk about them IN HERE! A link to the item would be great where possible.

Moderator: national-PCSOs

Do you do Crime Reports? For PCSO's

You may select 1 option

View results

steve999
Elite Legion
Elite Legion

Re: Do you do Crime Reports?

Post by steve999 » Tue Mar 09, 2010 6:25 pm

PCSO Mickyboy

I do the same mate, i have about 10 crimes to look at but with doing this it takes a workload of a PC[/quote]

:slwo: Are you in agreement with this or would you rather not have a crime list. What are your views and the way forward for PCSO's?

trafficman

Re: Yes we would

Post by trafficman » Fri May 21, 2010 9:43 pm

micky wrote:
One of the new powers we have also been given is the ability to do our own Crime Reports
Reporting crimes is not a power it is a policy decision by your force.

I do however have my concerns around this, not because PCSOs are not as individuals capable of taking relevant details but because mistakes are bound to be made because of your limited training.

Would you for instance know when a theft became a more serious crime such as a robbery, a burglary, or a fraud?

Would you know when minor financial damage might amount to a more serious offence than just plain criminal damage.

These errors might mean that a crime was not properly investigated at the outset leading to a loss of evidence.

trafficman

Post by trafficman » Fri May 21, 2010 9:46 pm

Yes I do and if I was not sure what a crime should be then the person on the other end of the phone will. THAT THEIR JOB MMMMM.
I bet the even help Police officer s too.

Dirrty
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Dirrty » Mon Jul 26, 2010 12:37 am

yep, we take all the relevant details and ring out crime centre and then the job gets crimed if that's what the question was, same as how a regular does it. if i do house to house, a citizen focus visit or just get any new info i then update the crime report using a terminal as well.

DOGMA
Executive Officer
Executive Officer
Class: 'Bounty Hunter'
Alignment: 'Shadow'
Sacred: 'Warrior'

Post by DOGMA » Fri Jun 24, 2011 2:39 am

Sorry if its already been mentioned but i didnt want to read the last 20 odd pages. In the police i work for we have to do crime reports no matter how much damage or whatever the cost of the incident. The latest now is Non crime reports. basically the moment someone calls anything in regaring nuisance youths, asb issues or if like most times, a group of kids walk past there house doing nothing wrong, i have to do a non crime report, which is exactly the same as a normal crime report. im currently doing approximately 6-10 of these a day, which takes me off the street for another 2 hours +
anyone else have to do these non crime reports yet

steve999
Elite Legion
Elite Legion

Post by steve999 » Fri Jun 24, 2011 10:10 am

anyone else have to do these non crime reports yet
[/quote]

Only for Domestic Incidents & hate Crime where no crime has been committed, as such.
yep, we take all the relevant details and ring out crime centre and then the job gets crimed if that's what the question was, same as how a regular does it. if i do house to house, a citizen focus visit or just get any new info i then update the crime report using a terminal as well.
Bloody hell, PCSOs allowed to update a crime report themselves. In our Force PCs are not allowed to do that, it has to be completed by civilian crime staff only.

street walker
Registered Member
Registered Member

Post by street walker » Fri Jun 24, 2011 10:52 pm

nope! no crime reports , no statements, no collection of cctv, just lots of community policing as the role was intended.

Gualsa
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by Gualsa » Sat Jun 25, 2011 8:48 pm

steve999 wrote:
Bloody hell, PCSOs allowed to update a crime report themselves. In our Force PCs are not allowed to do that, it has to be completed by civilian crime staff only.
Only the OIC can update the crime as such in our force. The OIC is always a PC. Other PCs, PCSOs and other civilians can add to the crime by linking a small report and our crime development unit will update the crime with the details. It works OK.

jay1
Executive Officer
Executive Officer
Class: 'Undead Hunter'
Sacred: 'Ranger'

Post by jay1 » Mon Jun 27, 2011 6:34 am

Gualsa wrote:
steve999 wrote:
Only the OIC can update the crime as such in our force. The OIC is always a PC. Other PCs, PCSOs and other civilians can add to the crime by linking a small report and our crime development unit will update the crime with the details. It works OK.

I Can't put crimes on but i am OIC on several crimes..

Gualsa
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by Gualsa » Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:36 pm

jay1 wrote:
Gualsa wrote:
steve999 wrote:

I Can't put crimes on but i am OIC on several crimes..
Hi jay1

How does it work with progressing the crime then, is that up to you even when you have suspects attached to it? Will you be expected to update the IP too?

jay1
Executive Officer
Executive Officer
Class: 'Undead Hunter'
Sacred: 'Ranger'

Post by jay1 » Thu Jun 30, 2011 12:41 pm

I get a PC to put the crime on ( we can't as it takes us off the street)
I obtain statements,H2H,CCTV and any evidence for SOCO.
If i can Community Resolution it i willif not i'll get my PC to help. ( She is very good and pro active )
If nothing comes of the crime i finalise it.

Minx
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Minx » Tue Jul 05, 2011 1:19 pm

Cripes! I cannot believe the differences from force to force.

Down here in sunny D & C land we do ALL the minor stuff:

Criming (take details from complainant and file over the phone as PCs do).
Take statements for minor crimes from aggrieved and witnesses
Carry a workload of crimes to investigate.
Carry out relevant enquiries be it viewing CCTV, H2H etc
"Collect" CCTV/drugs reported as found (no suspects)/evidence in minor crimes/ assist in collection of evidence in major crimes.
Etc, etc, etc.

You get the picture I'm sure!

Someone say dogsbody? :slzip:
Minx

steve999
Elite Legion
Elite Legion

Post by steve999 » Tue Jul 05, 2011 1:39 pm

Minx

I believe all PCSOs should be doing this but many will shout out loud that they are Community officers and should not be doing the work of a PC...................it won't be long before one comes along :slsa:

tim419
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by tim419 » Tue Jul 05, 2011 8:42 pm

There's a lot of good work going on around various forces for sure. In the Met, PCSOs cannot "collect" (ie. seize) CCTV, exhibits etc etc, because they have no power to do so. This is the same in all other forces.

To ensure any exhibit including CCTV remains admissible at court, we need an evidential chain of MG11s from the moment the item first comes into police possession. If the chain is broken, or we can't prove lawful possession, the item risks being excluded at court, regardless of any other factor.

Police power to seize/retain/collect/pick up/take any exhibit etc comes from s19 PACE, which specifically empowers only a police officer.

Far from just helping out to run an item from A to B, all this collecting and handling of items by PCSOs in fact risks harming potential cases, as they have no power to do so. If a PCSO therefore cannot show "lawful" possession of an exhibit, it ultimately risks exclusion at court if the matter comes to trial, just by trying to help if there was no PC to collect it back when the item needed picking up.

I don't take anything away from the great work being done by all our PCSOs, but would be interested in anyone's opinion on where your lawful power to do this comes from, as I'm suggesting under s19 PACE you don't have any to routinely do this.

Of course there is absolutely no reason why hard working PCSOs out there can't do all this IF the powers that be just make a simple amendent to s19 to empower them too, in the same way as police officers. Otherwise we're just letting good people fill the gaps with the best of intentions, at the risk of derailing cases if a defence brief gets wind of a break in the evidential chain and gets exhibits like CCTV struck out.

steve999
Elite Legion
Elite Legion

Post by steve999 » Tue Jul 05, 2011 9:19 pm

I thought Civilian Investigators had the same basic power to seize things, just like Constables.
INVESTIGATING OFFICERS (POLICE STAFF ONLY)
11.1 Such officers may use force to enter premises but only when accompanied/
supervised by a constable, or for the purpose of saving life or limb or preventing
serious damage to property.
11.2 Within the Devon and Cornwall Constabulary force boundary, a suitably
designated investigating officer will be able to exercise some or all of the
following powers, in the same manner as a constable under PACE:
* Apply for Search Warrants, seizure and retention of items;
* Gain access to excluded and special procedure material by applying to
a circuit judge;
* Enter and search premises occupied or controlled by a person who is
under arrest and to seize and retain items;
* When lawfully on any premises, exercise the same general powers to
seize things as are available to a constable under section 19 of PACE;
* Require the production of electronically stored material in a form that