PCSO to use vehicles???

PCSO stuff ONLY: Burning issues, high profile questions or cases that have been highlighted in national or local news, let's talk about them IN HERE! A link to the item would be great where possible.

Moderator: national-PCSOs

DO YOU HAVE PCSO VEHICLE OR MEANS OF TRANSPORT?

You may select 1 option

View results

alihowe
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Class: 'Crimson Warrior'
Alignment: 'Vampire'
Sacred: 'Dragoon'

PCSO to use vehicles???

Post by alihowe » Thu Dec 16, 2004 8:54 pm

Hi everyone first of all, MERRY XMAS to you all XXXX :D

We don't have any vehicles in our division that we as PCSO's are authorised to use, as we cover the Town Centre Beat.

Sometimes we have to go off our beat to solve certain problems/hot spots. Do you guys get issued with cycles, scooters, or small cars or anything like that :?: We can travel on the bus for free but this is quite a bind sometimes. Would be useful to have some sort of vehicle to zip around on.

kentishman
Executive Officer
Executive Officer

Post by kentishman » Thu Dec 16, 2004 10:57 pm

alihowe

In the 2+yrs i've been in the Met i have driven the Ford Transit PCSO van , unmarked and marked Ford Fiestas , unmarked Mondeo, a hired unmarked Ford Fusion and my sgt told me he wants me to have a test to drive the hired 14 (i think) seater van.

At the mo my most common form of transport is the Met Bicycle which im currently using quite a lot.
Kentishman.

alihowe
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Post by alihowe » Thu Dec 16, 2004 11:15 pm

Lucky you, would be handy if they'd even give us a cycle :(

Shimmy
Official Member
Official Member

Post by Shimmy » Thu Dec 16, 2004 11:18 pm

I have a bicycle and thats it - but even then its three bikes between abotu 20 of us ( pc's and pcsos), no funding for cycle kit either !
Our borough has said NO to pcso's in vehicles and only just tolerate the bikes!

I know that traffic pcsos in the met travel in cars which are marked up and mopeds.....

In the boroughs/forces that do allow pcsos to travel in cars, are there any restrictions in place for this and how did you go about getting the training?
Last edited by Shimmy on Thu Dec 16, 2004 11:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Never give in - never, never, never,never in nothing great or small,large or petty, never give in except to convictions of honour and good sense. Never yield to force; never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy.
Winston Churchill

alihowe
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Post by alihowe » Thu Dec 16, 2004 11:23 pm

Shimmy I don't know about that one I'm afraid. I put in for Harley Davidson Fat Boy, but my Seargamt wasn't having none of it, so I said I'd settle for a Duccati 998 instead :lol: He said normally it would be okay but because I'm female they'd probably be too heavy for me...........I'm telling porkies by the way :lol:

kentishman
Executive Officer
Executive Officer

Post by kentishman » Thu Dec 16, 2004 11:41 pm

Shimmy..

The only restrictions for us is that it must be for BASIC driving only and i believe that's down to how much bhp the vehicle has. Obviously a 2ltr- 3ltr BMW or V.Omega are out of our range as they are to powerfull for
a basic standard trained driver, this is despite the fact that i own a V.Omega 2.5ltr.
These sort of vehicles are usually IRV's which we obviously cannot drive.
(if anyone knows any different then i stand to be corrected!)

The Mondea and Fusion i drove at work were only 1.6ltrs.

As for training, you will have to ask your skipper as to whether you can have a basic driving test for police vehicles and this can only be done if you have held a private licence for 2yrs or more(or that's certainly the case in our nick anyway)
Kentishman.

Liz
Registered Member
Registered Member

Post by Liz » Thu Dec 16, 2004 11:45 pm

We have said about bikes, and it was said that if there were any suitable ones in the found property bikes we may be able to use them....this of course is a double edged sword cos you will have to wear the dreaded cycle helmet..now these have got the checkered band on them - god forbid that people might think that you are a police officer so I suppose that we would have to sort out PCSO bands for them.

I had driving permits for unmarked vehicles and hire vehicles and I have a LGV licence, I have been informed that now I have changed jobs to PCSO then my permit no longer applies for unmarked vehicles....don't know where the logic comes from in that at all :roll:
I am not young enough to know everthing......Oscar Wilde 1854-1900

alihowe
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Post by alihowe » Thu Dec 16, 2004 11:47 pm

SEE SHIMMY, ALWAYS SOMEONE ON HERE TO HELP YOU :)

kentishman
Executive Officer
Executive Officer

Post by kentishman » Fri Dec 17, 2004 12:02 am

Liz wrote:I had driving permits for unmarked vehicles and hire vehicles and I have a LGV licence, I have been informed that now I have changed jobs to PCSO then my permit no longer applies for unmarked vehicles....don't know where the logic comes from in that at all :roll:
I have also heard of cases within my nick of police officers/staff changing roles or transferring also having to go through the whole training programe again.
Kentishman.

CIDB
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by CIDB » Fri Dec 17, 2004 12:30 am

In my part of esssex we get to use police bicycles!!!!!!!!!!

BUT, We have to wear a cycle hat. So I tend to walk :)

tonkertoy
Executive Officer
Executive Officer

PCSO'S DRIVING

Post by tonkertoy » Fri Dec 17, 2004 10:50 am

PCSO's in the Devon & Cornwall Constabulary have or are doing driver training at the moment once training is completed, we are waiting to do our "Out of vehicle safety training" in case we come across an RTC.
We will then be grade F non response drivers in other words using marked or unmarked police vehicles as transport to outlying Towns and Villages to conduct foot patrols etc..... NOT FOR PATROL ONLY TRANSPORT !

Sgt87
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by Sgt87 » Fri Dec 17, 2004 11:11 am

kentishman wrote:alihowe

In the 2+yrs i've been in the Met i have driven the Ford Transit PCSO van , unmarked and marked Ford Fiestas , unmarked Mondeo, a hired unmarked Ford Fusion and my sgt told me he wants me to have a test to drive the hired 14 (i think) seater van.
A mondeo is in the standard response category. As a basic driver you would only be permitted to ferry it, and not to use it for routine patrol. If you are using it for routine patrol then that is contrary to Met policy, especially if it is fitted with covert B&T.

john burnell

Post by john burnell » Fri Dec 17, 2004 11:53 am

We use normal marked police cars and vans

Big Brother
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Examiner: XIII

Post by Big Brother » Fri Dec 17, 2004 6:21 pm

We're allowed to drive unmarked vehicles only. And bikes, we've all been issued with a bike and we're securing funding for 2/3 cars :D
Big brother is watching you.

amoss2032
Registered Member
Registered Member

PCSO Vehicle Use

Post by amoss2032 » Fri Dec 17, 2004 7:55 pm

Hi Everyone

Firstly Merry Xmas to all !!!

I am a Rural PCSO in Norfolk and as such can drive a marked Galaxy with Police Community Policing Team on the rear !! I can also drive the Marked Range Rover , Marked Police Cars and the small vans. We have been advised that we are getting our own PCSO Peugeot van sometime next year with on board carriers for the Mountain Bikes that we are being presented with for our Community Policing Team.

Before you get the wrong idea these vehicles are used primarily to get us to rural villages so that we can provide high visibility foot patrols and give public reassurance as such they are only used when necessary and so the majority of the time I am like the rest of the PCSO's on foot....

I have seen a Bike Helmet at my station which appears white with a black and white checked band......this may well be for the Regulars though and we may get the blue banded ones when we recieve our bikes....
Watch this space...... :D

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic