Standard Powers!

PCSO stuff ONLY: Burning issues, high profile questions or cases that have been highlighted in national or local news, let's talk about them IN HERE! A link to the item would be great where possible.

Moderator: national-PCSOs

hotfocus
Registered Member
Registered Member

Post by hotfocus » Sat Sep 08, 2007 10:41 pm

Standard powers is a great Idea.

Powers should be enough to fullfill the intended role of pcsos which when managed properly works very well.

Police powers of arrest, search, and traffic and investigation are not requied.

All pcsos should be trained in breakaway self deffence and maybe have CS gas.

Force Policies in relation to non confrontation should be strictly inforced for pcso safety. Ths includes serious and violent ASB.

Uniform should be standard. A&S wear blue police staff T-shirts and cant be mistaken for Pcs. The communities know they are Pcsos and therefore dont get confused. I think a similar uniform shuld be standard.

All should be allowed vehicle use for A to B, but not patrol unless rural.

timbo

Post by timbo » Sat Sep 08, 2007 11:17 pm

That’s what I'm getting at though there still won’t be any form of consistency across the country as ultimately some forces still won’t have any power to deal with the ASB element as it in the hands of the cc. There quite a few of the powers mentioned in the home office document which the force i work for don't have and I bet they wont be granted by the cc even after dectable 1 which shows a lot of ammendments is what I mean.
I'm sure there other forces going to be in the same boat.

CIDB
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by CIDB » Sun Sep 09, 2007 8:46 am

We had an email at work saying that seeing as our cheif has given us every power ( no use of force ) this standard powers thing wont effect us,

Dont see the point really, as if the cheif can give us the powers he wants then we wont all have standard powers will we,

timbo

Post by timbo » Sun Sep 09, 2007 10:59 am

CIDB wrote:We had an email at work saying that seeing as our cheif has given us every power ( no use of force ) this standard powers thing wont effect us,

Dont see the point really, as if the chief can give us the powers he wants then we wont all have standard powers will we,

Exactly my thoughts. Would have cost a fortune in tax payers money to have the consultation also!!!

danielswindells
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by danielswindells » Sun Sep 09, 2007 11:32 pm

simply put they are not standard powers as every force will have different powers

timbo

Post by timbo » Mon Sep 10, 2007 9:57 am

danielswindells wrote:simply put they are not standard powers as every force will have different powers
Exactly :roll:

falkor
Navigator
Navigator
Alignment: 'Xevious'

Post by falkor » Tue Sep 11, 2007 12:30 am

steve67
Official Member
Official Member

Post by steve67 » Fri Sep 14, 2007 3:27 pm

WASTE OF TIME
THE ONLY EXTRA WE WILL GET IS TO SEIZE CLASS C BUT IT HAS TO BE ON OPEN DISPLAY.UNDER I8 CALL A POLICE OFFICER-theY need to be arrested . OVER 18 CALL A POLICE OFFICER AS IT WILL BE A CAUTION FOR FIRST OFFENCE.

WE HAVE BEEN TOTALLY LET DOWN BY THIS WISHY WASHY GOVERMENT AND ARE NOTHING MORE THAN A PR EXCERCISE.

oli
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by oli » Fri Sep 14, 2007 4:54 pm

steve67 wrote:WASTE OF TIME
THE ONLY EXTRA WE WILL GET IS TO SEIZE CLASS C BUT IT HAS TO BE ON OPEN DISPLAY.UNDER I8 CALL A POLICE OFFICER-theY need to be arrested . OVER 18 CALL A POLICE OFFICER AS IT WILL BE A CAUTION FOR FIRST OFFENCE.

WE HAVE BEEN TOTALLY LET DOWN BY THIS WISHY WASHY GOVERMENT AND ARE NOTHING MORE THAN A PR EXCERCISE.
Soon to be reclassified back to class B :wink: (cannabis)

timbo

Post by timbo » Fri Sep 14, 2007 5:49 pm

think the government need Reclassifying :D

rob_hughes
Registered Member
Registered Member

Post by rob_hughes » Tue Sep 18, 2007 10:35 pm

It is far from simple. What we do requires tools, the powers we have are our tools. However if we as a visable patrol walk in a street and can not deal with ASB from youths because a lack of power then how can the public respect what we do? I wonder if there are people who want us to fail. I don't intend to fail, I want to help the community I work in become a better place. Plod on, one day we will be given the tools to do the job. :evil:
Be positive........ like my blood group

cuffa134
Rookie Member

Standard set of powers

Post by cuffa134 » Thu Sep 20, 2007 11:47 am

This appears to be causing some confusion and it need not.

The standardised set of powers simply means that ALL PCSOs will have these powers. The CC can still issue further powers should they so wish. I appreciate that this still means differences accross the country but at least there is still some movement on this.
If you have a power and it is not on the list, YOU STILL HAVE THE POWER!!!(He man and the masters of the universe)
It is going to take some time to get to the bottom of this, lets face it, the modern police service has been going for some time now and that still isn't right!!!

Enjoy and be safe

Rorschach
Rookie Member

Post by Rorschach » Mon Sep 24, 2007 11:01 am

hotfocus wrote:Standard powers is a great Idea.

Uniform should be standard. A&S wear blue police staff T-shirts and cant be mistaken for Pcs. The communities know they are Pcsos and therefore dont get confused. I think a similar uniform shuld be standard.

All should be allowed vehicle use for A to B, but not patrol unless rural.
Standard powers I agree with.

Blue shirts I do not. Blue eppaulettes and blue ties are perfectly adequate for differentiating between PC's and PCSO's. If a member of the public ask you to do something you can't, then just use your radio and get hold of someone who can!

Simple.

PCSOTristan
Committee Member
Committee Member
Class: 'Night Summoner'
Alignment: 'Shadow'
Sacred: 'Ranger'

Post by PCSOTristan » Mon Oct 08, 2007 12:59 am

maybe with standard powers PCSO will be able to transfer to different forces as regualrs do?

snakeywakey
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by snakeywakey » Sun Oct 14, 2007 12:11 am

Heres one for you all. If you could re-write your powers to something what would it be??
I'm not a PCSO yet so I don't have a full understand of it all but I get the general gist.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic