Standard Powers!

PCSO stuff ONLY: Burning issues, high profile questions or cases that have been highlighted in national or local news, let's talk about them IN HERE! A link to the item would be great where possible.

Moderator: national-PCSOs

ANTHONY C
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by ANTHONY C » Tue Nov 20, 2007 9:02 am

I have read this thread with interest but i have a question does the cc tell the police officers which powers they can use i ask because if not i see a problem!
Regards
Anthony

brianb
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by brianb » Tue Nov 20, 2007 9:07 am

Yes

ANTHONY C
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by ANTHONY C » Tue Nov 20, 2007 9:09 am

Ok thanks for that Brianb.
Regards
Anthony

falkor
Navigator
Navigator
Alignment: 'Xevious'

Post by falkor » Sat Dec 01, 2007 9:47 am

I would like to thank Jimmy_bobby for spotting that our central powers page was out of date

because of Jimmy_bobby's attention to detail Image I have now successfully updated that page (click on link above) and ALSO kept the out of date page too, in case any of you are interested! The out of date page is now called the "summer page" because that was the situation in the Summer (of 2007)

thanks again Jimmy!! :P

Headset 57
Elite Legion
Elite Legion

Post by Headset 57 » Sun Dec 02, 2007 2:24 am

We don't do cycling as it's under the byelaws and our roads are not ( public highways under the RTA ), and carries a level 2 fine anyway :wink: and we don't do littering either as that's also under the byelaws and we don't have bins on our station!

The alcohol one to require surrender in a designated place is a no go too, as we have lots of bars and pubs on stations.
'You can always find a Question for an Answer
But you can't always find an Answer for a Question'

Gualsa
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by Gualsa » Sat Dec 22, 2007 1:04 am

To be honest I don't think I really use any of my powers so a few more is neither here nor there to me. As I'm on a rural beat most my work is preventative, so patrolling by foot or car, chatting to the youths, visiting schools, attend parish council meetings, check out abandoned cars and perhaps dish out an ABC once in a while. I can understand though how frustrating it must be for PCSOs in other areas with more people and perhaps more social housing and more ASB. I hear some of my colleagues complain of how powerless they sometimes feel in situations and how irritating it is to have to call a PC out for something very minor.

The only power on my wish list is FPN for cycling without lights after dark. I have cycling on the pavement of course which is worth squat as there are few pavements in my areas!

Raven
Official Member
Official Member

Post by Raven » Mon Dec 31, 2007 12:27 pm

I firmly beleive that without the power of detention you are limited in your effectiveness. You have nothing to stop the ASB people from just walking away laughing at you. In my area we have the power to detain and we use it, not often, but once it is known that you have it and that you are willing to use it, you rarely have to.
It puts a whole new focus on the PCSO role and you gain an awful lot of "street cred", this makes my job easier and keeps the public happy as they see us as an effective deterrant and not toothless.
If at first you don't succeed - head for the pub!

Jimmy_bobby
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by Jimmy_bobby » Mon Dec 31, 2007 1:42 pm

Raven wrote:I firmly beleive that without the power of detention you are limited in your effectiveness. You have nothing to stop the ASB people from just walking away laughing at you. In my area we have the power to detain and we use it, not often, but once it is known that you have it and that you are willing to use it, you rarely have to.
It puts a whole new focus on the PCSO role and you gain an awful lot of "street cred", this makes my job easier and keeps the public happy as they see us as an effective deterrant and not toothless.
This is what I’ve said from day one. I completely agree. It’s about street cred at the end of the day. With the detention power, with force, we would be far more effective.

As it would appear to prove from your example.

xtermin8

Post by xtermin8 » Mon Dec 31, 2007 8:07 pm

It seems for me very odd to read that only some of the PCSO's don't have the power of detention and such like. In Humberside we are given 58 of the available powers. To be honest we don't use them all all the time but its nice to know they are there is we need them.

I have used the detain power many times and also issued many £80 FPN to members of the public for using bad language or harrasment aimed at us or others. We have a great team and the police really back us up when we need it. Recently myself and my partner had an egg thrown at us. We both saw and knew who threw it but where unable to catch the offender. One of our officers told us each to write a statement about the incident and pass it to him. He then went out next day and issued the £80 FPN. Lets just say the guy who threw it respects us a bit more now :)

I say give all PCSO's all the available powers and make us all equal!

Jimmy_bobby
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by Jimmy_bobby » Mon Dec 31, 2007 9:06 pm

xtermin8 wrote:
I say give all PCSO's all the available powers and make us all equal!
Sign the petition then!

http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/standardpowers/

Raven
Official Member
Official Member

Post by Raven » Sun Jan 06, 2008 1:55 pm

Why is this petition not better publicised? I would thnk we would all sign it if we knew about it.
I will certainly be telling everyone.
If at first you don't succeed - head for the pub!

timbo

Post by timbo » Thu Jan 17, 2008 10:13 pm

Raven wrote:Why is this petition not better publicised? I would thnk we would all sign it if we knew about it.
I will certainly be telling everyone.
interesting however can't see it myself it would only take one person to say to their union they want more money for the extra responsibility...
Remember there are some people who just want to come to work and put in normal hours and go home....... (maybe not a good attitude) however thats the way some feel.

do i make sense?

Headset 57
Elite Legion
Elite Legion

Re: Its what we've all been waiting for - Standard Powers!

Post by Headset 57 » Tue Mar 11, 2008 12:02 am

'You can always find a Question for an Answer
But you can't always find an Answer for a Question'

PROMETHEUS
Official Member
Official Member

Post by PROMETHEUS » Tue Jun 10, 2008 11:49 pm

Remember there are some people who just want to come to work and put in normal hours and go home.......
You are right, there are but I believe that this job is not for that kind of person. This job requires that little bit extra and I for one am proud of being one of those persons willing to give that "bit"! As I'm sure most of us are, so let those at the top show that they agree with us and give us all the powers!!

wilko1892
Rookie Member
Sacred: 'Dragoon'

Post by wilko1892 » Mon Aug 11, 2008 11:57 pm

Mr Craik must really hate us NorPol CSO's like, i should move to the met lol

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic