officers being rude

Any other 'PCSO issues' that do not fit in to the other forums. Recruitment of PCSOs, day to day PCSO duties, questions about law, joining the regular police, becoming a special, anything else remotely PCSO orientated!!

Moderator: national-PCSOs

falkor
Navigator
Navigator
Alignment: 'Xevious'

officers being rude

Post by falkor » Wed Dec 16, 2009 12:08 pm

by Sam Chadderton
POLICE are to receive training on how to make a good first impression after a ‘worrying’ rise in reports of officers being rude.

But John O’Reilly, Lancashire Police Federation chairman, said he would be concerned that any ‘incivility training’ would be ‘another step towards political correctness gone mad’.

The details were released in a report of complaints recorded or finalised between April 1 and September 30, 2009, presented to a Lancashire Police Authority meeting.

Members of the committee were ‘very concerned’ at the figure of 155 incivility complaints in six months, with the force saying it was taking the matter seriously.

The report said: “It was felt that more training was needed for officers explaining what could be considered as incivility and what the constabulary expects from its officers.

“The professional standards department is working with the training centre to impress the importance of first impressions and civility.”

In response to the report, Superintendent Martyn Leveridge told the committee that incivility and timeliness complaints now made up 30 per cent of the total number of complaints received by the Constabulary.

The Constabulary revealed incivility complaints recorded between April 1, 2008 and September 30, 2008 were 133 – compared to 155 for this year, a rise of 22 or 16 per cent.

A spokesman for Lancashire Constabulary said: “Allegations of incivility are always taken seriously as we recognise that this can affect the confidence of our communities in the services we provide and we are keen to take every opportunity we can to put things right where we have not done so in the first instance, and to learn from any mistakes that we may have made.”

But Mr O’Reilly said: “I’ve heard nothing official about training, but my immediate reaction is it would be just another step to political correctness gone mad.

“There’s nothing wrong, if there is evidence of an increase, of officers being informed and asked to behave in a manner we expect.

“I've heard of other constabularies sending out a portfolio of how to address people.

“We would have a similar negative reaction as prison officers having to call inmates 'sir'.”

Big Brother
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Examiner: XIII

Re: officers being rude

Post by Big Brother » Wed Dec 16, 2009 5:46 pm

There are loads of cops/PCSOs up and down the country who could do with some lessons in common courtesy.

I know in some situations courtesy goes out the window, and complaints from those situations are quite rightly binned. But I only have to listen to the way some of my colleagues talk to people (read youths) on the street or over the phone and it makes me cringe. Manners cost nothing, and a polite copper normally gets his way far more often than a rude one.
Big brother is watching you.

typecastboy
Gold Elite Legion
Gold Elite Legion
Sacred: 'Warrior'

Post by typecastboy » Thu Dec 17, 2009 12:33 am

I'm guilty to a certain extent. I have this bad habit when people are shouting at me, to tell them to shut up. I have twice shouted shut up, to which the answer is normally "Don't you f'ing tell me to shut up", it usually makes matters worse, but when you're trying to explain to someone why you have stopped them, and they are bellowing at you, it's hard sometimes. I am trying to use different words without saying shut up.
Nov 2008 - Day 2 Fitness/Medical - Passed
Jan 2009 - Start Training in Sidcup
Mar 2009 - On Borough

SINGLE PATROL IS THE WAY FORWARD

Big-Si
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by Big-Si » Thu Dec 17, 2009 2:27 am

Have a look Here
Ex PCSO

Special
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Special » Wed Dec 30, 2009 8:05 pm

And many people think it so incivil to be given a ticket for using a mobile phone while driving or to be lawfully searched or to be told to leave an area under a dispersal order or to....you get my point.

What a member of the public deems to not be civil and the police lawfully doing their job are often one and the same thing.

overthinker1977
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by overthinker1977 » Tue Jan 05, 2010 1:39 am

Special wrote:And many people think it so incivil to be given a ticket for using a mobile phone while driving
Didn't you know it was? Tsk!

Typecast you've been alarmingly... humble recently. Its unnerving... but good.
As an alternative to shouting "Shut up" you could try shouting "Stop talking!" or even better "I'M talking!".
Both go down very well as you can probably imagine.

Or maybe everything they say you could mimic it in a mocking high pitched voice. Maybe even using your hand as a puppet to add futher mockingnessness.
Supporter of Police
scum = criminals

PI & GI
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by PI & GI » Tue Jan 05, 2010 10:18 am

hows about a post named PC's behaving in a demonstrative and belittling manner to PCSO's. I had this today, made my blood boil, and they are the two who do the least in the nick. beggars.
WHO LOVES YA BABY! (KOJAK)

overthinker1977
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by overthinker1977 » Wed Jan 06, 2010 9:55 pm

I wouldn't stand for that PI & GI. I'd either tell em' to their face, go through line manager (Mine or theres), PSD em' or even IPCC em.
Depends on situation though. Sometimes its hard to do the right thing. I do understand the complexitities behind why people DON'T do it. Essentialy though, its bullying.
(From the sounds of it).
Supporter of Police
scum = criminals

arthurgray50@blu
Official Member
Official Member

Post by arthurgray50@blu » Thu Jan 07, 2010 7:18 pm

I have had this belittling to PCSO, it was that bad, it made me ill. :slra:

PCSO Mickyboy
Elite Member
Elite Member