Doing your own witness statement.

Any other 'PCSO issues' that do not fit in to the other forums. Recruitment of PCSOs, day to day PCSO duties, questions about law, joining the regular police, becoming a special, anything else remotely PCSO orientated!!

Moderator: national-PCSOs

can you write your own statement?

You may select 1 option

View results

Special
Executive Member
Executive Member

Doing your own witness statement.

Post by Special » Mon Oct 08, 2007 10:45 am

I was with a PCSO the other week on footbeat and stumbled accross a young lad smashing a shop window with the greatest of cheerfullness.

Hence i nicked him for criminal damage.

However after doing the necessary paperwork all myself,i requested a witness statement from the PCSO - "we don't do statements" was the reply - Please note this guy has been in for 2 years,he's not new.

So i had to sit down and do another statement with him myself.

My questions are,Are you trained and expected to do your own witness statements in your force?

Also if you're not trained to do it,don't you think most PCSOs should apply themselves and learn how to do it?

Most specials (i know) recieve very little or no training on statements and yet (without pay) learn and apply themselves to do it.

Any thoughts?

Marlon
Elite Member
Elite Member

Re: Doing your own witness statement.

Post by Marlon » Mon Oct 08, 2007 10:47 am

Special wrote: Are you trained and expected to do your own witness statements in your force?

Yes, and yes.

Special wrote: don't you think most PCSOs should apply themselves and learn how to do it?

Yes.

PCSOTristan
Committee Member
Committee Member
Class: 'Night Summoner'
Alignment: 'Shadow'
Sacred: 'Ranger'

Post by PCSOTristan » Mon Oct 08, 2007 11:45 am

Marlon wrote:
Special wrote: Are you trained and expected to do your own witness statements in your force?

Yes, and yes.

Special wrote: don't you think most PCSOs should apply themselves and learn how to do it?

Yes.
No and no

Tho we are asked and i do attempt to do them, but is it the fault of the PCSO's or the Force that they are not trained?

PCSO Mickyboy
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by PCSO Mickyboy » Mon Oct 08, 2007 12:46 pm

Special wrote:I was with a PCSO the other week on footbeat and stumbled accross a young lad smashing a shop window with the greatest of cheerfullness.

Hence i nicked him for criminal damage.

However after doing the necessary paperwork all myself,i requested a witness statement from the PCSO - "we don't do statements" was the reply - Please note this guy has been in for 2 years,he's not new.

So i had to sit down and do another statement with him myself.

My questions are,Are you trained and expected to do your own witness statements in your force?

Also if you're not trained to do it,don't you think most PCSOs should apply themselves and learn how to do it?

Most specials (i know) recieve very little or no training on statements and yet (without pay) learn and apply themselves to do it.

Any thoughts?

i do my Own statement and why do you need to be trained?

you take statements from people on your beat and was trained in training so why do you need training to do your own statement? its just lazy and i am gob smacked

Special this an't Pointed at you mate

pcso
Official Member
Official Member

Post by pcso » Mon Oct 08, 2007 12:50 pm

When I started in 2003 in Cleveland, we where shown how to do our own but then for some reason they stopped with the later intakes.

TamzLG
Official Member
Official Member

Post by TamzLG » Mon Oct 08, 2007 2:15 pm

we are trained to do our own statements, but can't take from other people.

oli
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by oli » Mon Oct 08, 2007 2:28 pm

TamzLG wrote:we are trained to do our own statements, but can't take from other people.
Lancs is the same but some officers make me take statements from people that often ends up with me going back to retake cause cps wont accept them.

Headset 57
Elite Legion
Elite Legion

Post by Headset 57 » Mon Oct 08, 2007 3:41 pm

BTP do their own and a few at our station do witness / victim ones too!.
'You can always find a Question for an Answer
But you can't always find an Answer for a Question'

Special
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Special » Mon Oct 08, 2007 4:30 pm

PCSOTristan wrote:
No and no

Tho we are asked and i do attempt to do them, but is it the fault of the PCSO's or the Force that they are not trained?
No it's not their fault if they're not trained,but there is much bleeting from PCSOs and Specials that PCs don't respect them etc...

To apply yourself to learn and do your own witness statement (as you appear to be doing) would help change the perception of some PCs and make any PCSO a better more useful officer.

danielswindells
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by danielswindells » Mon Oct 08, 2007 4:35 pm

I was not trained when I started and that was in Jan 2006. However, I still managed to crack off several statements in the process after a little help with the first few and have done dozens since....a few months ago as part of the "powers" :roll: course we received some statement training which was good if not needed. I prefer to do my own as you can get your point etc across just how you wish, I think we should do our own as well

Marlon
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by Marlon » Mon Oct 08, 2007 10:32 pm

PCSOTristan wrote: is it the fault of .. the Force that they [PCSOs] are not trained?

Yes. My force trains its PCSOs to write their own statements.

We're also allowed to take statements from third parties for use in gathering material for ASBO files and the like, where the burden of proof is not as high as in a criminal case.

I can't imagine the headache it must be to have to sit down with a PC everytime a statement is required from a PCSO.

PHILPCSO
Registered Member
Registered Member

Post by PHILPCSO » Wed Oct 10, 2007 8:59 pm

Thats a suprise, i have had training on statements since the start and have regular training to keep me up to date. Cambs have recently put there PCSO'S on a six week attachment to our crime management unit, which involves taking statements for a number of offences. Im suprised because the main role of a pcso is to do a job which does not really need a PC, and to combat low level crime. I would have thought that all forces would let there PCSO'S take statements as there are advantages.
Two men s??t loads of cutlery

r_brotheridge
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by r_brotheridge » Wed Oct 10, 2007 10:10 pm

in west mids we get 2 days training on statements, we can only write our own, although i don't mean to blow my own trumpet but my trainer when marking our practise ones said i was better at it than a lot of officers 8)

must be because i can waffle on about nothing in particular for pages :sk:

stu
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by stu » Wed Oct 10, 2007 11:19 pm

I thought most pcso's completed there own statements.
Remember he who dare's wins (only fools and horses)

What you see is not always what you get!

Fat Bloke
Official Member
Official Member

Post by Fat Bloke » Thu Oct 11, 2007 9:43 am

When I started 3 years ago we were trained to take statements from other people and also do our own. Since then all newer PCSOs have not been trained to take statements from others and we have been told we are no longer expected to take them from other people. We are all still expected to produce our own statements.
It’s a waste of a constables time if they also have to take a statement from a PCSO.
Still use my “ADVOKATE” card when doing mine.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic