No wonder PCs don't like us!

Any other 'PCSO issues' that do not fit in to the other forums. Recruitment of PCSOs, day to day PCSO duties, questions about law, joining the regular police, becoming a special, anything else remotely PCSO orientated!!

Moderator: national-PCSOs

typecastboy
Gold Elite Legion
Gold Elite Legion
Sacred: 'Warrior'

No wonder PCs don't like us!

Post by typecastboy » Wed Mar 04, 2009 8:33 pm

Still in training, one more week to go after this week.

I have come to the conclusion I know why the PCs don't like PCSOs. Every little thing we want to do (according to training), you meet with "No, you can't do that, you have to call a PC" They must get sick and tired of being called to the scene of something very trivial, just because the chief constable/Commissioner hasn't given us the powers.

For heavens sake, I want to do the job, but not with both hands tied behind my back.
Nov 2008 - Day 2 Fitness/Medical - Passed
Jan 2009 - Start Training in Sidcup
Mar 2009 - On Borough

SINGLE PATROL IS THE WAY FORWARD

ruben
Navigator
Navigator

Re: No wonder PCs don't like us!

Post by ruben » Wed Mar 04, 2009 8:44 pm

ways and means my friend, ways and means. training school is one thing. you will deal with things veeeeery differently when you are on the streets. im sure you will only need to get a PC down when an arrest is required.
Constable of 6 years, previously PCSO 18 months

b3njy
Official Member
Official Member

Post by b3njy » Wed Mar 04, 2009 9:07 pm

m_clements207 wrote:ways and means my friend, ways and means. training school is one thing. you will deal with things veeeeery differently when you are on the streets. im sure you will only need to get a PC down when an arrest is required.
Spot on, it's a very different world out of training school.

lonerider
Executive Officer
Executive Officer

Post by lonerider » Wed Mar 04, 2009 9:51 pm

Here on my borough its the opposite.

We support them and they support us!

typecastboy
Gold Elite Legion
Gold Elite Legion

Post by typecastboy » Wed Mar 04, 2009 10:13 pm

I didn't think for a moment that what we get taught actually happens in the real world, and I get sick and tired of hearing the phrase "non confrontational role". At least the trainers at Hendon who we had for OST actually acknowledged what we all know about the role completely confrontational.

I'm sure in the real world, all those scenarios we learn about only happen now and again anyway. I just hope the PCS on my borough aren't anti-PCSO, as I will be having words if they are.
Mar 2009 - On Borough

ruben
Navigator
Navigator

Post by ruben » Wed Mar 04, 2009 10:52 pm

what situations were you thinking of? i was a cso in northumbria and i had less powers than you have in the met, rarely needed a cops help.

im a cop now and im pleased when cso's ask me for help, its nice to help colleagues. you will never change some cops opinions though!
Constable of 6 years, previously PCSO 18 months

mj12cz
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Post by mj12cz » Wed Mar 04, 2009 11:05 pm

The regulars I work with love us...

We take all the crappy little jobs they hate and therefore lighten their work load. We all get on very well and there is no them and us.
I have worked closely with Traffic/ARV, CID, Special Branch and the royal protection officers. I have never had a problem with any of them, and why?

Because I do the job as a PCSO and not try to be a police officer. I've rolled up my sleeves and got stuck in where necessary but I remember I'm a PCSO.
"Its a mother beautiful bridge and its going to be there"

Save the cheer leader, save the world.....

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
George Orwell

typecastboy
Gold Elite Legion
Gold Elite Legion

Post by typecastboy » Wed Mar 04, 2009 11:27 pm

mj12cz wrote:The regulars I work with love us...

We take all the crappy little jobs they hate and therefore lighten their work load. We all get on very well and there is no them and us.
I have worked closely with Traffic/ARV, CID, Special Branch and the royal protection officers. I have never had a problem with any of them, and why?

Because I do the job as a PCSO and not try to be a police officer. I've rolled up my sleeves and got stuck in where necessary but I remember I'm a PCSO.
That's very reassuring, I hope I have that same experience once I'm on Borough, only time will tell
Mar 2009 - On Borough

baronsmirnoff
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by baronsmirnoff » Wed Mar 04, 2009 11:39 pm

Anti PCSO PC in 5 years the number I've met you could count on one hand, a lot do not agree with the role but will support you doing it when you need it
DRINK WAS THE ANSWER BUT I FORGOT THE QUESTION

My spelling is good spelling but the letters sometime wobble and get in the wrong place - Winne The Pooh

ladyk100
Committee Member
Committee Member
Class: 'Pixie'
Alignment: 'Shadow'
Sacred: 'Dragoon'

Post by ladyk100 » Thu Mar 05, 2009 2:07 am

some hate the PCSO role but you will rely on the PCs in your team when you need help any way. Most PCs who go to SNT say they have changed their view since working with us.

plum
Gold Committee Member
Gold Committee Member
Class: 'Undead Hunter'

Post by plum » Thu Mar 05, 2009 7:16 am

What some PCs do not like us !!!!!! never, really

Its not that bad

and if you do have to hit the red button

you will see the surport coming from miles around
just try and remeber

your 24/7 copper has a ton of work in the pipe line already dont give him any more unless you really need to
try and sort yourself
If you choose to swim in the swamp with the crocodiles
You only have yourself to blame if you get bittern

Big Brother
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Examiner: XIII

Post by Big Brother » Thu Mar 05, 2009 6:12 pm

The only ill-feeling I ever encountered was when I first started 5 years ago with a cop with 28 years in who just didn't see the point.

Since then, the fact that at my nick at least, we've attended and resolved more incidents than we've created is enough.
We RARELY shout for assistance, I've only had to do it about 10 times. 8 of those were for people i'd detained/arrested, 1 was for a large scale disorder and the last was for a bloke threatening to kick my head in whilst I seized his car.

PC's/SGTs with an ounce of common sense can appreciate what we're there for. The problems come in forces where PCSO's don't have any powers and are just sent to wander the streets all day.
Big brother is watching you.

mj12cz
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Post by mj12cz » Thu Mar 05, 2009 9:30 pm

The thing is when I first started they were a bit... "Whats all this about?"

But now we have proved ourselves, by working with them, helping them out and taking some of the reassurance visits off them, I have heard them say they could not work with out our help.
"Its a mother beautiful bridge and its going to be there"

Save the cheer leader, save the world.....

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
George Orwell

Big Brother
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Examiner: XIII

Post by Big Brother » Fri Mar 06, 2009 7:27 am

mj12cz wrote: I have heard them say they could not work with out our help.

Ultimately, that is the crux of the entire thing. We attend that many incidents of any level, if we were to suddenly stop nobody would get a decent police response. The cops at my nick now have time to proactively patrol, catch up on their paperwork and do the other things they joined for like executing warrants and making arrests.
Big brother is watching you.

typecastboy
Gold Elite Legion
Gold Elite Legion

Post by typecastboy » Fri Mar 06, 2009 6:12 pm

Big Brother wrote:The only ill-feeling I ever encountered was when I first started 5 years ago with a cop with 28 years in who just didn't see the point.

Since then, the fact that at my nick at least, we've attended and resolved more incidents than we've created is enough.
We RARELY shout for assistance, I've only had to do it about 10 times. 8 of those were for people i'd detained/arrested, 1 was for a large scale disorder and the last was for a bloke threatening to kick my head in whilst I seized his car.

PC's/SGTs with an ounce of common sense can appreciate what we're there for. The problems come in forces where PCSO's don't have any powers and are just sent to wander the streets all day.
Yes, Big Bruv, but remembering some of your posts from the past, I get the impression that your scary and the coppers wouldn't dare disrespect you as they are all probably scared of you *LOL*
Mar 2009 - On Borough

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic