I'm in the Territorial Army (TA) but start as a PCSO soon...

Any other 'PCSO issues' that do not fit in to the other forums. Recruitment of PCSOs, day to day PCSO duties, questions about law, joining the regular police, becoming a special, anything else remotely PCSO orientated!!

Moderator: national-PCSOs

metpcso999

I'm in the Territorial Army (TA) but start as a PCSO soon...

Post by metpcso999 » Thu Apr 02, 2009 10:54 pm

Hello,

I'm in the Territorial Army (TA) but start as a PCSO in the Met Police in a few months.

Will they allow me extra time off to carry out training etc?

Any other people in the Police and in the TA?

Cheers,

baronsmirnoff
Committee Member
Committee Member

Re: I'm in the Territorial Army (TA) but start as a PCSO soon...

Post by baronsmirnoff » Fri Apr 03, 2009 6:59 am

Not in TA but A.I, with ACF do one of the two nights a week in Job time
DRINK WAS THE ANSWER BUT I FORGOT THE QUESTION

My spelling is good spelling but the letters sometime wobble and get in the wrong place - Winne The Pooh

PROMETHEUS
Official Member
Official Member

Post by PROMETHEUS » Fri Apr 03, 2009 10:00 am

I do not understand how the Met (or any other force) can allow any of their front line officers to have "loyalties" to any other service. For example what happens if there is some kind of civil emergency and every service was required? Which uniform would you end up putting on, who would decide? I remember years ago a friends wife wanted to become a Special but was not allowed due to her being a nurse. The above example was given for her not being allowed to join, and quite rightly I think. **Bye the way this is NOT a dig at anyone, merely an observation/concern of my own!**

tim419
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by tim419 » Fri Apr 03, 2009 1:35 pm

As a member of police staff rather than a police officer, there should be no problem being a TA soldier. It's worth letting your trainers/new OCU unit know you're in the TA. Both posts are compatible.

Time off for military service is granted at local management discretion, and obviously if you are required to serve overseas, this will be positively supported.

I can't see any conflict between full-time service as a PCSO and part-time TA service. Being a PCSO takes primacy in any "civil emergency"; the only time the TA takes precedence is if you are deployed to Iraq or elsewhere.

PROMETHEUS
Official Member
Official Member

Post by PROMETHEUS » Sat Apr 04, 2009 11:05 pm

Being a PCSO takes primacy in any "civil emergency";
In that case then that is one less resource the TA can rely on, surely?

tim419
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by tim419 » Sun Apr 05, 2009 12:32 pm

The TA deal with a lot of civil emergencies then do they? Or maybe that in fact isn't their role at all perhaps? Not really an issue is it, considering the simple question asked at the start of this post.

Kev88
Rookie Member

Post by Kev88 » Sun Apr 05, 2009 2:13 pm

I used to be in the TA, I quit through choice to join this job.

That being said, I worked alongside a fella who was a met PCSO whilst in the TA.

CMTsgt
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by CMTsgt » Sun Apr 05, 2009 11:34 pm

After over 35 years Loyal service to the crown as a member of the TA and over 20 years service within the Police service firstly as a Traffic Warden and over 5 years as a PCSO, I am stll serving.

Just be aware if you decide to be a member of the TA, you could be asked to volunteer for service somewhere hot and abit dangerous but thats what most join for.

If you do decide to join the TA you must inform your employer, There are now new rules in place that the TA WILL inform your employer you are intending to join or have joined.

Don't be put off from joining, The TA can offer some great training plus going to some exciting countrys including the USA. Canada, Cyprus, Germany, Gibralter. Belize, Assencion Islands, plus a host of different places, also you get paid and they will pay for the trips.

If you got the balls to do it then join. don't get put off by the ones who can't be botherd to get out of bed.
Lifes a bitch you marry get divorced and marry again

Arthur ASCII
Elite Legion
Elite Legion

Post by Arthur ASCII » Mon Apr 06, 2009 7:48 am

PROMETHEUS wrote:I do not understand how the Met (or any other force) can allow any of their front line officers to have "loyalties" to any other service....

Surely it's evident that an Employer benefits from the extra skills and experience that a "Territorial" brings to the workplace.

PROMETHEUS
Official Member
Official Member

Two points people.............

Post by PROMETHEUS » Tue Apr 07, 2009 8:58 am

**Bye the way this is NOT a dig at anyone, merely an observation/concern of my own!**
Firstly as I stated in an earlier post I am NOT having a dig at anyone!

Secondly - Opinions are like bum-holes.........we all have one AND I AM ENTITLED TO MINE!!

falkor
Navigator
Navigator
Alignment: 'Xevious'

Re: I'm in the Territorial Army (TA) but start as a PCSO soo

Post by falkor » Sun Oct 11, 2009 11:10 am

From The Times | October 10, 2009

Michael Evans, Defence Editor

The Territorial Army has been told to stop training for six months to save millions of pounds from the Army’s budget because of growing financial pressure on the Ministry of Defence.

Drill-hall instruction, weekend exercises and all other training associated with the TA will stop, cutting costs by about £20 million.

The Land Force budget of the Army has been cut by £54 million, and the TA is the first to be affected. The huge cut in TA spending will mean that the weekend warriors will not be paid. “They are paid to go training, and if there is no training, they won’t get paid,” a Ministry of Defence official said.

[img]http://national-pcsos.co.uk/pimages/tro ... 26432a.jpg[/img] T.A. soldiers
A spokesman insisted that the savings and the ban on training would not affect the TA’s operational contribution to Afghanistan, where about 500 Territorial soldiers are serving. There are also ten TA soldiers in Iraq.

The spokesman said that TA training for Afghanistan would carry on as normal. TA soldiers train with their regular army counterparts, before deployment to Helmand province. The MoD’s pledge to keep the operational TA safe from cuts was, however, greeted with scepticism by senior officers in the volunteer reserve force. “This is dangerous. When you cancel training at one end, it is bound to have an impact through the TA, especially if this goes on longer than six months,” one senior TA officer told The Times. “If the MoD shuts the whole place down and says, ‘Come back in April’, there will be a number of TA members who will just go off and find something else to do, and all the skills they have learnt will fatigue.”

That would have repercussions throughout the TA, and could eventually affect the availability of volunteers for Afghanistan and other operations, he said.

One MoD official said that care would have to be taken to ensure that the temporary suspension of training did not undermine the TA’s role in Afghanistan. The official also said that, given the budget restrictions, the training suspension could last longer. The annual budget for the TA is about £143 million. The TA officer said: “This decision means that people’s advancement and promotion within the TA will be arrested, and the MoD will find it cannot get recruits to join the TA if the whole thing is being put in mothballs. You cannot suspend training and expect people to come back as normal six months later.

CMTsgt
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by CMTsgt » Sun Oct 11, 2009 11:43 am

Thanks for the link FALKOR.

A lot of TA soldiers have seen this coming for months, we were told that training would be scaled back and Man Training Days (MTDs) would be reduced to 40 MTDs per soldier a year, if you have reached that amount of days then do not turn up for duty or training until the next Trg year 1st April 10.

I have been a TA Soldier for many a years now, I think its time to return my kit and hopefully a final drink with my mates, Its a very sad day for ALL members of the TA but money has to be saved somewhere I just hope to god that there is not another conflict somewhere in this world which will need the British Army and the TA, unlike the US Army they have the National Guard to fall back on but if the Reserve Forces are reduced or even disbanded then god help us.
Lifes a bitch you marry get divorced and marry again

tim419
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by tim419 » Sun Oct 11, 2009 7:13 pm

What a disgusting kick in the teeth for all the brave men and women who serve in the TA and don't hesitate to leave safety, famiiles amd loved ones behind, to step up when called.

Absolutely UNFORGIVEABLE, especialy when you compare what they hope to "save" by doing this, compared with the duck houses and mortages of MPs.

Or how about the hordes of overpaid MoD civil servants, fleets of Admirals without a job, Gardening Leave Generals and Air Commodores with no air force (all senior people promoted after years waiting their turn to come to round, only to find that in the shrunken new world of Labour 2009, they don't have any spare left-over Commands to command...but neither can they be "got rid off" through redundancy).

Oh well, at least we still have £20bn available for the Trident Nuclear White Elephant.......so not all bad then. :slrnt:

baronsmirnoff
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by baronsmirnoff » Tue Oct 20, 2009 5:07 pm

Just been told today no more training for ACF (except drill nights which is one up on the TA) in my group most of our money comes from the defence budget though we do raise a fair bit ourselves, I know we are not as important as the TA but useful at keeping the youths engaged in some thing instead of hanging around street corners
DRINK WAS THE ANSWER BUT I FORGOT THE QUESTION

My spelling is good spelling but the letters sometime wobble and get in the wrong place - Winne The Pooh

Hysteria
Elite Member
Elite Member
Class: 'Night Summoner'
Alignment: 'Vampire'

Post by Hysteria » Wed Oct 21, 2009 2:00 am

I think it is disgusting tbh , IMO the last thing the government should be doing is cutting back in spending for the armed services be they TA or regular , Our Armed services are already severely lacking in several area's , but to cut back on TA training is really taking the pee . How the hell will they be 'battle ready' if they can't have the training because some fat cat MP or senior officer who sits on their backside in a expensively decorated office and is driven in a posh car needs to cut his budget because he over spent on the decor and entertaining , and breathes .................................

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic