Disrespectful PC

Any other 'PCSO issues' that do not fit in to the other forums. Recruitment of PCSOs, day to day PCSO duties, questions about law, joining the regular police, becoming a special, anything else remotely PCSO orientated!!

Moderator: national-PCSOs

typecastboy
Gold Elite Legion
Gold Elite Legion
Sacred: 'Warrior'

Disrespectful PC

Post by typecastboy » Thu Oct 29, 2009 11:12 am

This will make your blood boil . . .

. . . In the nick yesterday, just come down the stairs on my way out, walking past a couple of PCs talking in the corridor, holding the door open. Walked through the open door, not really paying attention to who they were. Five seconds later, the orange button had been pushed by a Town Centre PCSO who had just floored a violent offender in the high street, had hit the orange button calling for urgent assistance. I heard one of these two PCS, say "It's a PCSO, what a load of of boll-ocks". I instantly started fuming and didn't turn around to say anything as I would probably have said something in a corridor that I would have regretted". Called my skipper who said "who was it". As I didn't take any notice of who it was, I don't know. In hindsight, I really wish I had challenged him.

A lesson learnt for me, I will not ever tolerate that again. My blood was boiling at the time, this ignorant copper who was in his mid to late 20's obviously hasn't been a PCSO. I will never let this go again.
Nov 2008 - Day 2 Fitness/Medical - Passed
Jan 2009 - Start Training in Sidcup
Mar 2009 - On Borough

SINGLE PATROL IS THE WAY FORWARD

jonny121
Committee Member
Committee Member
Examiner: XIII

Re: Disrespectful PC

Post by jonny121 » Thu Oct 29, 2009 1:00 pm

That made my blood boil!
PCSO Nov 2007 - Feb 2010
PC Feb 2010...

steven
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by steven » Thu Oct 29, 2009 3:20 pm

I've seen exactly the same thing in my time.
It was only from one officer, and it was addressed.
A dream is a goal without a plan.

ruben
Navigator
Navigator

Post by ruben » Thu Oct 29, 2009 6:29 pm

any officer that does that and it is proved they did it, they should be dealt with by neglect of duty. its an absolute disgrace that something like this occured.
Constable of 6 years, previously PCSO 18 months

Big Brother
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Examiner: XIII

Post by Big Brother » Thu Oct 29, 2009 8:35 pm

Agreed, he might not have agreed with the role, but we're all (alledgedly) on the same side. The fact the PCSO had taken on (and won) against a violent offender means it wasn't a load of boll**ks, but a job that he genuinely needed help with.

In the past, any cops that bad-mouthed us made the "hit list". ie, if they ever needed any enquiries doing, all of a sudden we were busy. When they needed a lift or transport, we were unavailable. They soon got the message, especially when we'd shout up 30 seconds later to assist another cop who needed help.
Big brother is watching you.

DOGMA
Executive Officer
Executive Officer
Class: 'Bounty Hunter'
Alignment: 'Shadow'

Post by DOGMA » Fri Oct 30, 2009 2:25 am

Well done to that Pcso, also it also happens where i work but i people always come running when a 10/9 is put up. Shame tho as you say that some are still cave men and cant get use to us. I personally think a lot of it is jealousy. there stuck in once they hve nicked while we are out catching and dropping the crims lol

tim419
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by tim419 » Fri Oct 30, 2009 10:12 am

Good post - and you're right. You should have turned round and said something like "RIGHT, LET'S HOPE YOU TWO GET A BETTER RESPONSE THAN THAT WHEN YOU CALL FOR HELP" or something, anything's better than letting two idiots get away with crap like that. Better luck next time!

Show them the same respect they show you, ie. if it's none, don't hesitate to tell them where to get off.

Hysteria
Elite Member
Elite Member
Class: 'Night Summoner'
Alignment: 'Vampire'

Post by Hysteria » Fri Oct 30, 2009 11:46 am

Totally shocking , thankfully have never experienced anything like that , the one time me and my partner had to use the orange button not only did what seem like the whole nick turn up two passing TSG units showed up as well , they happened to e passing thru our area at the time .

Those two pc's attitudes stink .

typecastboy
Gold Elite Legion
Gold Elite Legion

Post by typecastboy » Fri Oct 30, 2009 1:10 pm

I'm really annoyed with myself for not saying anything, I was so shocked and fuming, I don't think the words would have come out of my mouth. I just wish that I could have noticed who they were when I initially walked past them, that way, I could challenge them afterwards. Ho hum, lesson learned.
Nov 2008 - Day 2 Fitness/Medical - Passed
Jan 2009 - Start Training in Sidcup
Mar 2009 - On Borough

SINGLE PATROL IS THE WAY FORWARD

tnpmonkey
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by tnpmonkey » Sat Oct 31, 2009 10:30 pm

i find the TAC teams worst or shall I say the "beef cakes"

The other night I came in at 02:00 on sunday morning after being in the city centre (would like to see them WALK let alone being on their own in a city centre with no equipment that late)

One said "PCSO, bloody hell I thought it was past your bed time"

I was tired at the time and my response should have been better but I just said " Im glad you noticed your old enough to being my father, im 29 though so its not really something you wanna brag about"

The others laughed at him but since they still give the evil eye when any of us walk past, but then again they do it to all the PCs on section as well

Jimmy_bobby
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by Jimmy_bobby » Sun Nov 01, 2009 12:56 pm

That’s really not acceptable and should have been challenged. It doesn’t inspire confidence for people yet to press the red/orange button.

I must say though, these kinds of things seem to be happening less and less. Most, well, a lot of our response officers have less then 3 years experience (everyone gets out of response as quick as they can and recruit cons go straight to response) and many of these response guys and gals are ex PCSOs anyway.

The one time I pressed my button as a PCSO I got half the station turn up for me – coppers who hadn’t run for years were red in the face and wheezy by the time they got to me. Bless ‘em. I had traffic, firearms, dog unit, all turn up to support me. It does make you feel valued and part of the team. I can imagine getting the opposite response can be very disheartening though.

rawblue
Registered Member
Registered Member

Post by rawblue » Mon Nov 02, 2009 3:54 am

That's bad.

we have a lot of officers who hate the PCSO role at my station. But if i pressed my button i know everyone of them would turn out. it doesnt matter what part you play, everyone knows if you press that button you need some help

mattwoodfield
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by mattwoodfield » Mon Nov 02, 2009 9:42 pm

At our station there are a couple of PC's who dont like PCSOs. They are both from the response team aswell. All our neighbourhood PC's like the PCSO's and get on well with us. They understand our role more.
WMP
Feb 08 -App Sent
Oct 08 -App Passed
Mar 09 -A/C Fail. Overall 50% RRD 67% Oral Comms 100% Written Comms 33%
Mar 09 -A/C results transferred to PCSO
Mar 09 -Start Vetting
June 09 -Passed Vetting
June 09 -Medical Passed
Sept 09 -Start Date D3 OCU

the dark lord
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by the dark lord » Mon Nov 02, 2009 10:03 pm

Another thing that annoys me is many of our PCs use the orange button as an interrupt button, for example last week someone pressed it to talk over someone when a couple of youths _near_ the scene of a YCA made off from them.

In fact, of the past 8 or so button presses i recall only two have been real incidents, one a PC getting a kicking in a house with some Burgs and another a PCSO & CBM in a takeaway where it was kicking off, i am pleased to say the PCSO got as much of a turn out as the PC did - if not more so.

The only derogatory comments i have heard have come from a CBM, "Jim you are only a PCSO"...

This was after Jim had stepped in after a SC had got herself in too deep and was in danger of getting a good kicking.

Many of the response officers and other active officers and to some extent CID are seemingly getting to understand our role more and getting to know how useful we can be asking the NPT Sgts can you ask your PCSO for area XYZ to nip to ABC street and collect, seize, issue, post a note, tell some one, keep their eye on.

I think much of the issue is that they don't know how to use us. That and some PCSOs turn there nose up at being tasked to do mundane stuff as they see it as being treated as a second class person...

overthinker1977
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by overthinker1977 » Mon Nov 02, 2009 10:39 pm

Keep fighting the good fight peeps.
Red-Button? Any officer of ANY rank should be challenged for not attending with urgency.
I think most of the bobbies in your nick typecast will probably be alright... might be worth mentioning to the boss to put word out to send a global message... shame the f***er.
Everyone will probably know who he is if its done...
Supporter of Police
scum = criminals

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic