Anyone else feel this fed up

Any other 'PCSO issues' that do not fit in to the other forums. Recruitment of PCSOs, day to day PCSO duties, questions about law, joining the regular police, becoming a special, anything else remotely PCSO orientated!!

Moderator: national-PCSOs

DOGMA
Executive Officer
Executive Officer
Class: 'Bounty Hunter'
Alignment: 'Shadow'
Sacred: 'Warrior'

Anyone else feel this fed up

Post by DOGMA » Tue Oct 27, 2009 3:27 am

Hi all, thought id put this post on to see if anyone else is starting to or has been feeling this way for a while. I have been a pcso for almost 3 years now and I have a background of mostly front line security work, so had gotten involved in many scuffles and big incident in my time. The problem is that since I have joined im finding the job more and more restrictive and feel like im being rapped in cotton wool. Dont get me wrong i knew it was a non confrontational role but it seems lately i cant even go to a nuisance youth job without everyone panicking. I use to enjoy the job and worked a long time on my own and made many good contacts and good reports along the way. I recently was moved to another area and have been told that its common practice on my team that no one works alone. Now I would understand if it was a major rough area but its not as bad as where I was working but I still have to be partnered up. Theres always the usual bitching and back stabbing going on, alot of which has been aimed at myself recently which at one point and due to this I was close to walking out. What with all this, the lack of powers and the sense of feeling like im being treated like a child or a second class citizen more and more im getting very close if not beyond the thinking about leaving the job. I just wondered if anyone else feels this way or has done whilst in the role of the Pcso
many thanks :slwo:

Jimmy_bobby
Elite Member
Elite Member

Re: Anyone else feel this fed up

Post by Jimmy_bobby » Tue Oct 27, 2009 8:39 am

I felt the same at one point when I was a PCSO. Not allowed to go to anything even remotely difficult or challenging and ended up getting rather bored. Fortunately for me we ended up getting a new sgt who was really proactive and got us stuck in to our patch. They made everyone patrol single-crewed to increase visibility, got us creating ops tackling youth crime, which was very entertaining and kept us busy. If you go back to your sgt and tell them the community have complained they never see you guys, and suggest that that’s probably because you’re all double crewed, then tell them ACPO guidelines wants you single crewed to increase visibility, then maybe they would consider letting you out on your own to get more “stuck in”. Have you considered joining a specific department/liaison role? Like schools/ traveller/ ASB liaison officer. Here we have PCSOs performing these roles. It would give you more of a direction and slightly more accountability and responsibility. Or joining up as a PC?

The turning point for me was when I just kept coming to my sgt with new and innovative ideas and they just said, “yeah, OK, do it” and I did. Got my name in the paper, got a couple of awards (I know im bragging now :slcup: ) and created my own workload. Gives you a feeling that you want to come in to work.

Good luck buddy and chin up. :slsm:

mattwoodfield
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by mattwoodfield » Tue Oct 27, 2009 9:27 am

I have just started the job, and have only been with my team for a week but my god are they proactive. I am really enoying it, and I am surprised at how much the PCSOs on our team get stuck in with different things. In my first week I have done two school visits, visited all the local shops, done god knows how many hours on the beat and this week I am working with the scouts today, and our team have organised a halloween street party for this saturday, in which I will be setting up and policing.

I have also been told that we will be single crewed until I think 6 or 7pm and then we go double crewed. We also go round with PC's in the cars to deal with ASB hot spots etc etc.

Very good job at the moment, although my legs are not liking it!
WMP
Feb 08 -App Sent
Oct 08 -App Passed
Mar 09 -A/C Fail. Overall 50% RRD 67% Oral Comms 100% Written Comms 33%
Mar 09 -A/C results transferred to PCSO
Mar 09 -Start Vetting
June 09 -Passed Vetting
June 09 -Medical Passed
Sept 09 -Start Date D3 OCU

r_brotheridge
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by r_brotheridge » Tue Oct 27, 2009 5:03 pm

i had it, so i changed police force, as my problems revolved around my sgt and the fact he had his favourites and i wasn't one of them. the inspector wasn't much better either so i couldn't really ask for help so i decided that drastic action was required and overall it's been a good decision. what i have found is that no matter what happens you will always get a little bit of the cotton wool syndrome it's how you handle it, i just decided that when i was being criticised for things i did it was mainly because it was showing the rest of my team up, so brush it off, at the end of the day so long as you are working within powers and policy they can moan all they like, you are doing your job properly.

DOGMA
Executive Officer
Executive Officer

Post by DOGMA » Tue Oct 27, 2009 8:30 pm

I had the same situation as you R brotheridge. i seem to make enermies at work and so the rumours and crap started flying about me. i recently pulled one of my friend to the side and explained how i was feeling. What she sadi was true and that i should just ignor them and not let them force me out of my job, but also (and without sounding big headed) i was told that becasueim good at my job and im always on the radio a lot of people dont like it because it shows how lazy they are and so i was unknowingly showing them up. It is hard tho, im also someone that hates making enemies to so its getting to the point that no matter what i do it upsets someone lately. :sloop:

typecastboy
Gold Elite Legion
Gold Elite Legion

Post by typecastboy » Tue Oct 27, 2009 10:01 pm

Change forces, change boroughs, or maybe even just change ward. If your force doesn't allow you to get stuck in then move. I wouldn't and haven't been in cottonwool since I started, and my borough let us get stuck into anything and everything. All igrade calls etc etc. Only been in the job 10 months, have a good team, good sergeant, good leadership all round. Loving it!

Dunno what force you're in, but maybe a different one might be the answer.

Good luck, hope it works out.
Nov 2008 - Day 2 Fitness/Medical - Passed
Jan 2009 - Start Training in Sidcup
Mar 2009 - On Borough

SINGLE PATROL IS THE WAY FORWARD

miller
Official Member
Official Member
Class: 'Undead Hunter'

Post by miller » Wed Oct 28, 2009 2:11 pm

I have been in the job for 4years, when the control room or Sgts try to wrap me in cottonwool i just remind them of our job role, its not just community events, meetings, school talks etc. Its dealing with ASB, which in its own right is a confrontational situation.

To many PCSO's before us have set the bar at 'social working' only, its down to us to raise the bar, work within our guidelines and prove to the community, government and CC's that we are worth the cost.

Sorry if that offends anyone, no offence meant.

DOGMA
Executive Officer
Executive Officer

Post by DOGMA » Wed Oct 28, 2009 11:27 pm

To many PCSO's before us have set the bar at 'social working' only, its down to us to raise the bar, work within our guidelines and prove to the community, government and CC's that we are worth the cost.

Sorry if that offends anyone, no offence meant
I couldnt agree more with you. I have attended many many forum meetings in the past to find no one turns up, i have tried speaking to residents to gather intel and to find out whats going on and by whom but no one wants to divulge anythng, so at the end of the day id rather not waiste time on sitting in an empty hall and actually be out there dealing with the people that are causing these problems. im not saying that forums are a bad idea, and im in no doubt that these sort of things work in other areas but if a Pcso or Pc turned up at my door or meeting asking what my issues were id like to say why are you not out there catching and dealing with these people that are causing there problems. if the public want to tell us something they will or thy will call us. Im really sorry if what i say offends but its my honest opinion. Lets no cut school meetings and the like out completely but lets look at our role again.

tnpmonkey
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by tnpmonkey » Sat Oct 31, 2009 10:23 pm

i agree

we i am we all have to chair/minute/book etc all the PACT meetings. Partner agencies dont care about PACT or anything we tell them but the police still push us to do them.

Surgeries are also a waste, on my ward we spend around 4-5 working days a month just on surgeries and PACT meetings.

The only people who do turn up are the ones that always complain about everything or are in it for their own agendas and not for the majority of the people.

Cut the council meetings out, get stuck in with the real work and if you have a quite patch (i wish mine was sometimes) create your own workload.

I create drug Ops using Ion tracking device and dogs, 00:00 to 04:00 early hour ASB patrolling and street briefings are a good start :)

CIDB
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by CIDB » Sun Nov 01, 2009 10:57 pm

Ive been a PCSO for almost 7 years now.

One thing that really get me down is, No matter how much GOOD you do, People only remember the bad.

example, A pcso who I work with saved a guys life by giving CPR until an ambulance arrived. CRACKING JOB!

However, A year on and nobody remembers this incident, Instead people are to busy talking about the PCSO who was arrested after nicking the police station tea club money, ( this incident happend around a year ago to )..

:slrnt: :slrnt:

rawblue
Registered Member
Registered Member

Post by rawblue » Mon Nov 02, 2009 3:29 am

treated like children all the time :slra:
i have thought about leaving but why should i? and anyway thats what they want you to do!

overthinker1977
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by overthinker1977 » Mon Nov 02, 2009 10:32 pm

Hmmn... Dogma. Interesting situation.
I say two things... I think you should stick to your guns feircly except in the face of good sense but also do what you feel is right. If you feel a move might be beneficial, do it.

I might be wrong but it sounds as if you enjoy the action (like me) and do 'get stuck in' and others have critisised that because it goes against the PCSO role (in their eyes). (We're not supposed to get stuck in possibly 'quite' like that but if you can and are able and it does good then why not)?
It sounds like they've identified something they don't agree with and because they've seen it they now can only see that. Its called hyper-sensitivity or curtain twitching syndrome. (my own names).

Does that sound right??

Do you think they are just taking the p!$$ and its going too far or are they having a dig at you??
Supporter of Police
scum = criminals

PCSO Mickyboy
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by PCSO Mickyboy » Sat Nov 14, 2009 12:31 am

DOGMA wrote:Hi all, thought id put this post on to see if anyone else is starting to or has been feeling this way for a while. I have been a pcso for almost 3 years now and I have a background of mostly front line security work, so had gotten involved in many scuffles and big incident in my time. The problem is that since I have joined im finding the job more and more restrictive and feel like im being rapped in cotton wool. Dont get me wrong i knew it was a non confrontational role but it seems lately i cant even go to a nuisance youth job without everyone panicking. I use to enjoy the job and worked a long time on my own and made many good contacts and good reports along the way. I recently was moved to another area and have been told that its common practice on my team that no one works alone. Now I would understand if it was a major rough area but its not as bad as where I was working but I still have to be partnered up. Theres always the usual bitching and back stabbing going on, alot of which has been aimed at myself recently which at one point and due to this I was close to walking out. What with all this, the lack of powers and the sense of feeling like im being treated like a child or a second class citizen more and more im getting very close if not beyond the thinking about leaving the job. I just wondered if anyone else feels this way or has done whilst in the role of the Pcso
many thanks :slwo:

hang on, you are feeling the same as me

i also been put onto a new area covering villages which i love doing and has given me a lift but i am now not coping with the back stabbing crap( Mj i think i cover a village close to one of yours)
Is now a PC

DOGMA
Executive Officer
Executive Officer

Post by DOGMA » Wed Nov 18, 2009 5:41 pm

Sounds like it mickyboy. I have honestly never worked in an enviroment where people enjoy making others life a missery and enjoy back stabbing. im probably wrong for saying this but i have worked as a bouncer, worked in front line security for over ten years, and, if something like a feud or people didnt get on it was taken outside, sorted out, hands were shaken and that was that. It seems now you have to slag someone off and try and make them and there life as hard as possible. Well never all get on, thats a fact of life. but we are all singing from the same sheet, so why cant people just leave the bitching alone and get on ?????? :sltee:

mj12cz
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Post by mj12cz » Wed Nov 18, 2009 9:16 pm

Not me, I have a new boss (PC) who is super proactive in the last 3 weeks we have done lots of reassurance visits, community incentives and to keep things busy we have had 3 fail to stops a couple of foot chases and a few good arrests/reportings.

I was fed up but the new boss is spot on, lots of great support as well!
"Its a mother beautiful bridge and its going to be there"

Save the cheer leader, save the world.....

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
George Orwell

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic