'Words of advice' follow police computer misuse

Any other 'PCSO issues' that do not fit in to the other forums. Recruitment of PCSOs, day to day PCSO duties, questions about law, joining the regular police, becoming a special, anything else remotely PCSO orientated!!

Moderator: national-PCSOs

falkor
Navigator
Navigator
Alignment: 'Xevious'

'Words of advice' follow police computer misuse

Post by falkor » Wed Dec 09, 2009 7:57 pm

raymond.brown@cambridge-news.co.uk
A POLICE sergeant who downloaded "inappropriate images" on a Cambridgeshire force computer was given a slap on the wrist.

The sergeant was among some 16 police staff and officers, including detectives, who were disciplined for, or suspected of, misusing force hardware since 2005.

Details obtained by the News reveal that between January 7 and August 28, 2007 the sergeant "used force computer systems to access internet websites and view images of an inappropriate nature".

The officer was given a written warning that November. Force chiefs have refused to reveal the nature of the images.

A detective constable was given a written warning in October this year for "accessing force computer systems outside the proper course of police duties".

"Words of advice" were also given to a Special Constable after they used computer systems for "non-policing purposes".

Last year, a police support staff worker resigned before facing disciplinary action after being caught accessing other people's emails without permission.

And a police sergeant resigned that year before facing discipline after accessing databases for reasons other than "lawful policing" purposes.

A police community support officer was sacked last year for "misuse of police computer systems".

And a detective constable was fined one day's pay for using "confidential information for their own personal benefit".

A police support staff worker was given a verbal warning after it was alleged they disclosed personal information to a third party.

Also, a police constable resigned after being accused of an improper disclosure of a business interest and the misuse of the police national computer.

Another police constable accessed the "force crime system" and "divulged information to a third party without lawful authority or excuse". They were given "words of advice".

A support staff worker was given a conditional discharge at court after pleading guilty to data protection offences in 2006.

It was suspected they used computer data to attempt to pervert the course of justice. They resigned.

Matthew Elliott, chief executive at the TaxPayers' Alliance said: "Cambridgeshire police force needs to crack down on its staff's inappropriate use of computers.

"This is a shameful waste of precious police resources and time."

A police spokesman said: "The use of all force IT and communication systems is monitored. This includes internet and email usage.

"The force permits use of the internet for non-work related purposes on an occasional and reasonable basis that does not interfere with the performance of duties.

"Staff members who abuse these facilities may have them withdrawn and/or be subject to an investigation and disciplinary action."
Posted By: Mike on 07-Dec-2009
All the article discloses is that the officer: "used force computer systems to access internet websites and view images of an inappropriate nature". It doesn't mention the extremity of the images and therefore I don't think you can judge to what extent he should be punished. You certainly can't say he should be "chucked out" of the Police Force just based on that. Be realistic - Police Officers are only human and although should know better, it would be a bigger waste of tax payers money to sack a highly qualified and experienced officer for a minor internet policy breach.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Police
Posted By: Peter on 07-Dec-2009
At least now we know why police officers are never to be seen on the streets!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Police Time
Posted By: Steve B on 07-Dec-2009
Totally agree with you Hacker. It probalby means that they were being paid whilst some innocent person was a victim of a crime. Disgusting really. Sound like poor management, leadership and values within the police force. They need to get a grip or we will continue to lose respect for them. Seems like there's room for more budget cuts and to cut out these slackers.
[No Subject]
Posted By: Hacker on 07-Dec-2009
mmmm So Police have taken same action as University regarding this type of crime-ie bury their heads in the sand If this had been joe public the courts would have already been booked ready for prosecution. One law for Police another for us-just makes the Police Pledge adverts so comical. Then Julie wonders why Cambridge Police are not respected-they are a joke and items like this just prove how useless they are. Officer should have been suspended then chucked out, only thing on Police computers should be crime related, how about the time he/she wasted looking at these "items" Name and Shame lets us know who are wasting tax payers money.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Published: 07/12/2009

plum
Gold Committee Member
Gold Committee Member
Class: 'Undead Hunter'

Re: 'Words of advice' follow police computer misuse

Post by plum » Wed Dec 09, 2009 10:47 pm

http://www.google.com/url?sa=X&q=http:/ ... wnn2XtYM1g

A FORMER Haringey police community support officer (PCSO) has been accused of "inappropriate accessing and disclosure" of sensitive police information.

Sonuc Mehmet, 23, was charged with misconduct in a public office and six counts of unauthorised use of a computer earlier today.

Mr Mehmet was based in Haringey and resigned in October 2009.

He was investigated by the Metropolitan police's directorate of professional standards following allegations of inappropriate accessing and disclosure of police information.

Met officers said it had a duty to the public to investigate all allegations where an officer or member of staff had abused their position of trust.

Mr Mehmet will appear at Waltham Forest Magistrates' Court, in east London, on January 28, 2009.
If you choose to swim in the swamp with the crocodiles
You only have yourself to blame if you get bittern

typecastboy
Gold Elite Legion
Gold Elite Legion
Sacred: 'Warrior'

Post by typecastboy » Thu Dec 10, 2009 12:12 am

I haven't even got access to the net, except for a few very basic sites like the BBC home page. I can't even get Google for gods sake! I needed to use Google Images for a project at work, but couldn't do it, as I don't have access. Out of all my colleagues only the longest serving has access. PCSOs are not given access, here we go again, children of the Police Force!
Nov 2008 - Day 2 Fitness/Medical - Passed
Jan 2009 - Start Training in Sidcup
Mar 2009 - On Borough

SINGLE PATROL IS THE WAY FORWARD

Hysteria
Elite Member
Elite Member
Class: 'Night Summoner'
Alignment: 'Vampire'

Post by Hysteria » Thu Dec 10, 2009 1:07 am

typecastboy wrote:I haven't even got access to the net, except for a few very basic sites like the BBC home page. I can't even get Google for gods sake! I needed to use Google Images for a project at work, but couldn't do it, as I don't have access. Out of all my colleagues only the longest serving has access. PCSOs are not given access, here we go again, children of the Police Force!

Typecast the reason why PCSO's have limited access is because it is being abused by a few idiots who somehow made it past training . This abuse was quite rife in the early days of MET PCSO's and going by by what I hear from my friends in the job it still is .

Unforantly the sensible PCSO's who want to get on in the job and do a good job have been tarred with the same brush which is shame as you quite rightly say projects can't be done at work .

Am not sure what net access is like for pcso's around the country but in the MET it is very poor .

Big Brother
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Examiner: XIII

Post by Big Brother » Thu Dec 10, 2009 7:56 am

I needed net access but they wouldn't give it me. Got a memory stick instead that they paid for so I can do stuff at home and bring it in. it's not ideal but hey ho.
Big brother is watching you.

PI & GI
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by PI & GI » Thu Dec 10, 2009 2:14 pm

And I got told off for trying to remember a fallen commerade in the army, by emailing the local area, and this person gets off with something much more serious, wheres the line? lol :slbx:
WHO LOVES YA BABY! (KOJAK)

typecastboy
Gold Elite Legion
Gold Elite Legion
Sacred: 'Warrior'

Post by typecastboy » Sat Dec 12, 2009 6:29 pm

Hysteria wrote:
typecastboy wrote:I haven't even got access to the net, except for a few very basic sites like the BBC home page. I can't even get Google for gods sake! I needed to use Google Images for a project at work, but couldn't do it, as I don't have access. Out of all my colleagues only the longest serving has access. PCSOs are not given access, here we go again, children of the Police Force!

Typecast the reason why PCSO's have limited access is because it is being abused by a few idiots who somehow made it past training . This abuse was quite rife in the early days of MET PCSO's and going by by what I hear from my friends in the job it still is .

Unforantly the sensible PCSO's who want to get on in the job and do a good job have been tarred with the same brush which is shame as you quite rightly say projects can't be done at work .

Am not sure what net access is like for pcso's around the country but in the MET it is very poor .
Yes, you're right, I asked my skipper if I could get access and she said No, they won't let you. As far as I see it, give access, if it's abused take it away and discipline the person.
Nov 2008 - Day 2 Fitness/Medical - Passed
Jan 2009 - Start Training in Sidcup
Mar 2009 - On Borough

SINGLE PATROL IS THE WAY FORWARD

falkor
Navigator
Navigator
Alignment: 'Xevious'

Post by falkor » Sun Dec 13, 2009 10:55 am

I left the MET POLICE 3 years ago but at that time for ANYBODY who wanted net access - they needed to ask their SUPT

if the SUPT said yes - it was then up to you to tell your station SYS ADMINISTRATOR "the SUPT has okayed me to have net access"

baronsmirnoff
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by baronsmirnoff » Sun Dec 13, 2009 2:36 pm

When I got involved in 'Outreach' asked for net access, got it within 2 hours, another PCSO on my team asked for it, submitted a 728 got it the next day
DRINK WAS THE ANSWER BUT I FORGOT THE QUESTION

My spelling is good spelling but the letters sometime wobble and get in the wrong place - Winne The Pooh

PI & GI
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by PI & GI » Sun Dec 13, 2009 3:04 pm

In TVP we have access to many intranet based applications, C&C ,Cedar (for the ex coppers and long serving pcso's) and as much as we need.
WHO LOVES YA BABY! (KOJAK)

Catweazle
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by Catweazle » Wed Dec 16, 2009 9:33 am

I barely get enough time for the work-related stuff we need to do on our computers- internet access at work wouldn't benefit me, because there's simply no time for it. I've got a computer at home, so use that for all my net stuff.

Anyway, there is an internet icon on our system- but I've never tried to open it... just no reason to do so for my team- although would be nice to have if only just to check the weather forecast so we know what to wear (ie; how many layers) for the day if we're out for several hours at a time...
I may not agree with what you have to say- but I'll defend to the death (well, almost) your right to say it.

May the Reasonable Force be with you !

Arthur ASCII
Elite Legion
Elite Legion

Post by Arthur ASCII » Thu Dec 17, 2009 7:39 am

Catweazle wrote:... Anyway, there is an internet icon on our system- but I've never tried to open it... just no reason to do so for my team- although would be nice to have if only just to check the weather forecast so we know what to wear (ie; how many layers) for the day if we're out for several hours at a time...
Why not find your local weather station on-line and add your work email to their mailing list? They will provide you with a detailed daily forecast for your area.

baronsmirnoff
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by baronsmirnoff » Thu Dec 17, 2009 6:18 pm

22 year old ex-Met PCSO just been fined £2000 for mis-use
DRINK WAS THE ANSWER BUT I FORGOT THE QUESTION

My spelling is good spelling but the letters sometime wobble and get in the wrong place - Winne The Pooh

PCSO Mickyboy
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by PCSO Mickyboy » Mon Dec 21, 2009 12:08 am

i got access to the net etc and would not dream of giving out information to anyone not even myself lol
Is now a PC

mj12cz
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Post by mj12cz » Tue Dec 22, 2009 1:42 pm

I do not nhave access to the Police internet... I do not need it or want it.
"Its a mother beautiful bridge and its going to be there"

Save the cheer leader, save the world.....

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
George Orwell

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic