tax relief for PCSOs

Any other 'PCSO issues' that do not fit in to the other forums. Recruitment of PCSOs, day to day PCSO duties, questions about law, joining the regular police, becoming a special, anything else remotely PCSO orientated!!

Moderator: national-PCSOs

tnpmonkey
Committee Member
Committee Member

tax relief for PCSOs

Tue May 08, 2012 6:41 pm

Anyone know what we can claim back as tax relief? I have been looking online but lots of Government websites are out of date.

I phoned the tax office last year, like around 15 of us here, and we got uniform laundry allowance and claimed back to when we started ( for me 2007) and I got around £120 back.

However there are other bits and bobs I have found like

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/manuals/eimanual/EIM68130.htm

Is there a list somewhere or does someone know someone in Unison who actually knows something? As I asked Unison here and they dont have a clue what benefits we get....

Any help would be great as I am losing my partners wage due to baby and need all the help I can get

Arthur ASCII
Elite Legion
Elite Legion

Re: tax relief for PCSOs

Tue May 08, 2012 7:07 pm

Any tax relief you may be entitled to will depend on your individual circumstances.

Why not visit the Unison web site and search for an independent financial advisor? Don't forget that many changes announced in the budget don't "kick in" for many months.
UNISON - Fighting your corner. Join us HERE
ImageImageImageImage

bluecopper
Committee Member
Committee Member
Alignment: 'Thunder'

Tue May 08, 2012 10:41 pm

If you buy your own boots, you can claim for those, so I'm told.

tnpmonkey
Committee Member
Committee Member

Tue May 08, 2012 10:42 pm

but there are tax reliefs for specific roles such as teachers, police staff/constables etc which do not depend on individual circumstance like laundry allowance etc

we just need a list as they will not tell us

mj12cz
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Wed May 09, 2012 9:40 am

I have just had a quick call to the Tax officer and have been told I can get £140 a year (Changed via tax code) :slwoot:

I have also been told I can claim back 4 years worth that is 2008-2012 if i write in to them.

Give them a ring on this number...0845 300 0627 they could not have been more helpful :slhi: :slwoot: :slwoot: :slwoot:

I'm going to make this thread "Sticky" as its useful to us all.
"Its a mother beautiful bridge and its going to be there"

Save the cheer leader, save the world.....

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
George Orwell

THFC
Banned Member

Wed May 09, 2012 10:28 am

This info has been on the site for years an has featured quite a few times.

http://www.policecommunitysupportoffice ... =7&t=11688

mj12cz
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Fri May 11, 2012 7:51 am

Yep its has, but Now its Sticky!
"Its a mother beautiful bridge and its going to be there"

Save the cheer leader, save the world.....

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
George Orwell

JimmyRiddle
Elite Member
Elite Member

Sat May 12, 2012 10:53 am

Arthur ASCII wrote:Any tax relief you may be entitled to will depend on your individual circumstances.
Why not visit the Unison web site and search for an independent financial advisor?
Nope, you ARE entitled to the same 'personal allowances' for uniform cleaning (unless facilities are provided at work or you wear your uniform off duty!) and PCSOs are give an allowance of £140 per year last time I looked, the same as a bobby - any takers!!!

Also, you can find this stuff out yourself on the HMRC website, no need to look for financial advice!

Just write to whichever tax office covers your force, tell them when you started, all employment details, payslip details, etc. and that you wish to claim in the future and also backdated.
Power of arrest for PCSOs for 'as and when' - s24a PACE & common law (i.e. BoP) using s3 CLA 1967

I'm a PCSO, I will WATCH you get your head kicked in (as per force policy)

Gualsa
Elite Member
Elite Member

Wed May 16, 2012 10:47 pm

tnpmonkey wrote:but there are tax reliefs for specific roles such as teachers, police staff/constables etc which do not depend on individual circumstance like laundry allowance etc

we just need a list as they will not tell us
I was told that's only relevant if your force does not provide boots for PCSOs. Ours do and they are rubbish so I buy my own.

I tried claiming back last year but in the end they gave up as I could not find ALL my tax paperwork from the last 10 years. I used to have a company car and had not kept my P11d forms.. :(

JimmyRiddle
Elite Member
Elite Member

Mon May 28, 2012 12:19 am

Gualsa wrote:I was told that's only relevant if your force does not provide boots for PCSOs. Ours do and they are rubbish so I buy my own.

I tried claiming back last year but in the end they gave up as I could not find ALL my tax paperwork from the last 10 years. I used to have a company car and had not kept my P11d forms.. :(
Once again, people have been misinformed. It is commonly known as 'boot allowance', but it is infact a 'personal tax allowance'. You can claim.

Also, you can only back claim for either 6 or 7 years. I would put in a Data Protection Act request to the HMRC asking for all of your previous P11D, P60, P45, etc. forms from then til now. Use this info to claim (basically by sending copies back to them with a cover letter to the HMRC PAYE main office in Liverpool).

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/incometax/how-to-get.htm
Power of arrest for PCSOs for 'as and when' - s24a PACE & common law (i.e. BoP) using s3 CLA 1967

Gualsa
Elite Member
Elite Member

Wed May 30, 2012 7:08 pm

JimmyRiddle wrote:
Gualsa wrote:I was told that's only relevant if your force does not provide boots for PCSOs. Ours do and they are rubbish so I buy my own.

Once again, people have been misinformed. It is commonly known as 'boot allowance', but it is infact a 'personal tax allowance'. You can claim.

Also, you can only back claim for either 6 or 7 years. I would put in a Data Protection Act request to the HMRC asking for all of your previous P11D, P60, P45, etc. forms from then til now. Use this info to claim (basically by sending copies back to them with a cover letter to the HMRC PAYE main office in Liverpool).

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/incometax/how-to-get.htm
I tried to go through HMRC but was told my employer would have them and they said they didn't because some rubbish reason or another and being passed from pillar to post just got too boring in the end. :slrog:

JimmyRiddle
Elite Member
Elite Member

Fri Jun 01, 2012 11:33 pm

Gualsa wrote:I tried to go through HMRC but was told my employer would have them and they said they didn't because some rubbish reason or another and being passed from pillar to post just got too boring in the end. :slrog:
This is called being 'fobbed off'. Do the HMRC really expect people to believe they don't hold tax records? I'd do it in writing, making it harder for them to try it on.

JimmyRiddle
Elite Member
Elite Member

Tue Jul 17, 2012 9:11 pm

Many PCSOs + bobbies in our force have, and still do claim a personal tax allowance for uniforms and professional subscriptions required, or helpful (HMRC wording) for the job i.e. Unison or the fed.

It's yours to claim, they don't add it on for you!

BlueBand
Registered Member
Registered Member

Thu Jul 19, 2012 2:29 am

Thanks, I will look into this and give the tax office a call tomorrow :)

JimmyRiddle
Elite Member
Elite Member

Mon Aug 06, 2012 3:22 pm

BlueBand wrote:Thanks, I will look into this and give the tax office a call tomorrow :)
Nah write in, you get told a load of rollocks on the phone.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic