policing Twitter and Facebook

Any other 'PCSO issues' that do not fit in to the other forums. Recruitment of PCSOs, day to day PCSO duties, questions about law, joining the regular police, becoming a special, anything else remotely PCSO orientated!!

Moderator: national-PCSOs

falkor
Navigator
Navigator
Alignment: 'Xevious'

policing Twitter and Facebook

Post by falkor » Sat Aug 04, 2012 6:48 pm

SENIOR police officers say they are being dragged into too many rows about offensive messages on Twitter and the internet. They had to look at content 14,000 times on Facebook alone last year and they simply don’t have the resources to police social media.
Daily Express 4 Aug 12
The issue, it seems to me, is one of freedom of speech and common sense. The law must protect individuals from threats of violence but I think it’s ridiculous that police arrested 17-year-old Reece Messer after his tweet to Olympic diver Tom Daley, right, who failed to win a medal in the synchronised 10-metre final last Monday.

Messer tweeted Daley, whose father died of a brain tumour last year:

“You let your dad down I hope you know that.”

Hurtful, ignorant and childish though the message was, was it really serious enough to send police
swooping on Messer’s home at 2.45am on Tuesday? Of course not.

Daley himself did not make an official complaint, merely commenting on Twitter: “After giving it my all... you get idiots sending me this.”

A mature response to an immature insult which was the equivalent of playground abuse.

Of course internet trolls are loathsome and some of the messages they leave are revolting. But I do think too much fuss is made about sad losers on Twitter

bluecopper
Committee Member
Committee Member
Alignment: 'Thunder'

Re: policing Twitter and Facebook

Post by bluecopper » Sat Aug 04, 2012 7:42 pm

I'm glad that celebs are leaving Twitter in the droves due to trolls. Can't see the attraction to it myself.

falkor
Navigator
Navigator
Alignment: 'Xevious'

Post by falkor » Sat Jun 15, 2013 4:36 pm

I am not on Twitter but I do have 1 question

On Facebook a public page such as https://www.facebook.com/policecommunitysupportofficer can be seen by anybody even someone who is not a member of Facebook

On Twitter are there such areas? if so quote me a similar page on Twitter that exists (that anyone can see)

jim2509
Registered Member
Registered Member

Post by jim2509 » Sat Jun 15, 2013 9:04 pm

To be fair the Facebook page pictures don't exactly help the PCSO cause, I mean just look at them....lol..lol!

averagejoe90
Committee Member
Committee Member
Sacred: 'Dragoon'

Post by averagejoe90 » Tue Jun 18, 2013 6:40 pm

:slwo:
Last edited by averagejoe90 on Tue Apr 12, 2016 9:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
AccountKiller

xbob89
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by xbob89 » Fri Jun 21, 2013 8:40 pm

averagejoe90 wrote:“Tiffs” should be referred or submitted direct to the Facebook/Twitter staff to remove or block, they have their own guidelines and can enforce them accordingly. I personally think the call taker should point this out and not crime the call, This should not be going to frontline officers.
Not sure about that one...one persons snipe caustic comment is anothers harassment. Cyber bullying is an awful thing to suffer and has led to suicides.

Police have a duty to investigate all allegations and reported incidents. For a call handler to make the decision to tell the complainant to report it to FB or twitter etc based upon a 2 minute call is at best poor service and at worst reckless.

PCs and PCSOs either want to help the vulnerable or they don't.

averagejoe90
Committee Member
Committee Member
Sacred: 'Dragoon'

Post by averagejoe90 » Mon Jun 24, 2013 3:30 pm

:slwo:
AccountKiller

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic