NEW MET UNIFORM

Any other 'PCSO issues' that do not fit in to the other forums. Recruitment of PCSOs, day to day PCSO duties, questions about law, joining the regular police, becoming a special, anything else remotely PCSO orientated!!

Moderator: national-PCSOs

bluecopper
Committee Member
Committee Member
Alignment: 'Thunder'

NEW MET UNIFORM

Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:34 pm

Picking up my new Met uniform from the stores tomorrow. What does everyone in The Met think of it, do you like it. I like the trousers, but not too sure about the shirts. I just wish we would all go the same, and not those disgusting bright blue polo shirts, I think we should all wear the black ones.

Bert Moffat
Elite Legion
Elite Legion

Re: NEW MET UNIFORM

Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:47 pm

Why?

bluecopper
Committee Member
Committee Member

Tue Nov 20, 2012 10:22 am

Why what?

Bert Moffat
Elite Legion
Elite Legion

Tue Nov 20, 2012 12:03 pm

bluecopper wrote:I think we should all wear the black ones.
That...

Bert Moffat
Elite Legion
Elite Legion

Tue Nov 20, 2012 12:47 pm

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/po ... le-1446278

One force is considering reinstating the traditional image of police officers after a survey found the public consider the appearance to be more professional, honest and approachable.

Bobbies could be going back to basics, ditching Swat-style uniforms in favour of a traditional collar and tie.

One force is considering reinstating the traditional image of police officers after a survey found the public consider the appearance to be more professional, honest and approachable.

Norfolk Police joined forces across the country four years ago in adopting black zip-up polo shirts and combat trousers which are considered "more practical and hard-wearing".

It was part of a trend which has gradually seen officers move away from the traditional shirt and tunic favoured by fictional TV cop Dixon of Dock Green towards a look described by some as "paramilitary".

But from January, 47 officers from Norfolk's Wymondham safer neighbourhood team will take part in a trial of specially designed white shirts.

A Norfolk Police spokeswoman said: "The white shirt sees a return to the traditional image of British policing with a collar and tie replacing the black zip-up polo shirt.

"Independent academic research has identified that the public regard the time-honoured image of police officers as more professional, honest and approachable than its black counterpart."

Big Brother
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Examiner: XIII

Tue Nov 20, 2012 5:49 pm

What.A.Waste

Blue Copper, I hate to say it, even though I do repeatedly. I've yet to see a Met officer, PCSO or otherwise who looks smart in the get up you have to wear. Every cop/pcso I've seen has been wearing mismatched, ill fitting "uniform".

I wear a blue shirt, I think it looks smart.
Big brother is watching you.

katie c
Official Member
Official Member

Tue Nov 20, 2012 9:50 pm

whats the met uniform like blue?

we have bright blue wicking shirts too, not had white shirts for ages. the bobbies had dark navy ones. they were like polo shirt style.

the newer ones are a zip up neck (like a cycling top) blue for us, black for them. we're getting new stab vests with meshing vest things over the top and have been issued black 'micro fleeces' to wear under neath. you're supposed to put your collar number sliders on the arms, they look bloody awful, cheap and nasty and scruffy as anything.

if you want to wear your regular fleece (with the checked high vis stripes/badges) you are supposed to wear it over the top now. that's gonna make you look slim :?

we have black trousers, a bit like thick cotton combat things but without the knee pockets. they look ok at first but after a few washes they look like a sack of

bluecopper
Committee Member
Committee Member

Tue Nov 20, 2012 10:30 pm

Met shirts on the packet say "GREY", they are a dirty blue, not a blue blue!!! We don't get issued with fleeces, only the PCs get them. Apparently it's because we have a coat. Have you seen the Met coat, it's a ridiculous horrendous bright blue thing that is so not fit for purpose that literally, nobody wears it. I go out in the rain in a jumper and Met Vest. The only fleece I have is the cycling fleece which is a pull over thing with a short zip. A bit waterproof but has a plasticy inside which feels horrible. PCs get jumpers with linings, we get ordinary jumpers!!!

All my colleagues were out doing Op Cubo today, I managed to get out of it, so was sent to a tasking area north of the Borough I spent from 1330 until 1645 trudging around in a jumper in the rain. Living the dream, but I'm not worthy of a decent coat or fleece!!!

I much prefer the black shirt look, but think theh PCSOs should wear black too. As Bert asked, I think we should all be wearing the same. For one I hate the bright blue shirts, but it makes sense that all uniform is the same and all forces source it from the same place, thereby getting it all cheaper. We can still have appendages to make us look different, and our hats and epaulettes are different anyway. What's the point in extra cost and have different uniform for both roles.

katie c
Official Member
Official Member

Tue Nov 20, 2012 10:41 pm

wow, sounds like we're quite lucky then. we're supposed to wear the wicking shirt, then the fleece, then the stab vest, and if you're still cold after that, a yellow hi-vis coat on top, although today it was tipping it down but quite mild so i just did the shirt/stabbie/hi-vis combo and left my fleece in the van. we haven't had the nato style jumpers for years either. the fleeces are quite good, they're not waterproof but water resistant, as long as its not pouring.

one thing they seem to have stopped us ordering is light-weight hi-vis coats, which is a killer when we do an event and they insist you have full hi-vis. in july. :slbx:

luckily another girl left to join another force so i inherited hers :sljo:

our hats/caps have the silver bands, i like the blue checkered ones some forces have, although i guess you might look too much like a PC then?

jonny121
Committee Member
Committee Member

Tue Nov 20, 2012 11:24 pm

sounds like you get the short straw when it comes to uniform.

TVP

"wicking" shirts - black for PCs and blue for PCSOs
polyester/cotton combats - black for both
Microfleece - black for PCs and blue for PCSOs
Softshell jacket - black for both but with different badges
Lightweight High Vis
Heavyweight (waterproof high vis)
black leather gloves

Other options includes, thermals and neck tubes available to all front line staff

Personally I find the "wicking" shirts looking a bit tacky when not wearing a vest. Also wearing all black isn't that great in the summer!
PCSO Nov 2007 - Feb 2010
PC Feb 2010...

bluecopper
Committee Member
Committee Member

Tue Nov 20, 2012 11:32 pm

We always draw the short straw in the Met. Although I don't understand why BB says he has never seen a smart Met officer. I think I look smart everyday!! Although we have the biggest force with the most money, there are a lot of us!!

katie c
Official Member
Official Member

Tue Nov 20, 2012 11:37 pm

jonny121 wrote: Microfleece - black for PCs and blue for PCSOs
i reckon the microfleeces for us would look better in blue, bit daft us having a blue shirt, then covering it in a black fleece (with blue epaulets on to boot :? )

when i'm refering to my 'main' fleece (as opposed to the microfleece which is supposed to just be an additional layer) i think i'm refering to the same thing as your soft shell jacket. they used to be fluffy and fleecy but are now sort of nylony/water resistant.

this years weather/summer has been so god-awful though that despite all the choice i was rarely wearing the right thing at the right time. i used to dump everything in the van and get a bobby to bring down a change of clothing if i needed it :slgg:

spongebob
Executive Member
Executive Member

Wed Nov 21, 2012 2:30 am

There is a new fleece and jacket for PCSOs, in a far nicer colour, and the fleece can be worn on top of met vest now. I've no idea how you order one though

Big Brother
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Wed Nov 21, 2012 9:59 am

bluecopper wrote:We always draw the short straw in the Met. Although I don't understand why BB says he has never seen a smart Met officer. I think I look smart everyday!! Although we have the biggest force with the most money, there are a lot of us!!

Like I said. Ill fitting clothing, clothing that isn't uniform, grey shirts, ridiculously oversized epaulettes, half of you wearing ties, half of you not e.t.c.

Whilst you might make an effort to look smart, you're fighting a losing battle with the uniform you've been issued with.
Big brother is watching you.

bluecopper
Committee Member
Committee Member

Wed Nov 21, 2012 10:59 am

Big Brother wrote:
bluecopper wrote:We always draw the short straw in the Met. Although I don't understand why BB says he has never seen a smart Met officer. I think I look smart everyday!! Although we have the biggest force with the most money, there are a lot of us!!

Like I said. Ill fitting clothing, clothing that isn't uniform, grey shirts, ridiculously oversized epaulettes, half of you wearing ties, half of you not e.t.c.

Whilst you might make an effort to look smart, you're fighting a losing battle with the uniform you've been issued with.
I don't really see that. There's nothing ill-fitting about uniform. The biggest problem we have is replacing uniform. I have two colleagues who's Met Vests are absolutely knackered, holes in the pockets, too small (shrunk after being washed numerous times). I managed to order one about 9 months ago, just the cover, but it's really difficult to get hold of uniform, especially now. What do you mean clothing that isn't uniform???? The blue/grey shirts may not be lovely to look at but it is uniform. The epaulettes are the same size as PC epaulettes, just blue, what's wrong with those? Now the ties issue, I refer to my post on Katie C's thread. We only have to wear ties if we are wearing a long sleeve shirt or an outer garment, othewise it's open neck which is much more comfortable. I think that's being really picky as to smartness.

From what I've seen on TV of other forces, everyone seems to wear a bright yellow jacket of some sort all the time, to me, that looks scruffy and makes you look like a road contractor or a dustman. How is that smart?

I know which one out of these two looks the smartest?
Attachments
camera-W480.jpg
camera-W480.jpg (27.93 KiB) Viewed 3002 times
PCSO Kerry Foster web version.jpg
PCSO Kerry Foster web version.jpg (117.66 KiB) Viewed 3002 times

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic