Met got to save money but still waste it

Any other 'PCSO issues' that do not fit in to the other forums. Recruitment of PCSOs, day to day PCSO duties, questions about law, joining the regular police, becoming a special, anything else remotely PCSO orientated!!

Moderator: national-PCSOs

bluecopper
Committee Member
Committee Member
Alignment: 'Thunder'

Met got to save money but still waste it

Tue Nov 20, 2012 10:34 pm

891 PCSOs to go in the Met according to someone wearing braids on the news the other day, his name escapes me. They have closed most of the police stations, very few of the SNT bases have front counters, they took all our printers away and destroyed them, the list goes on and on how they are saving their £50 million or whatever the figures is.

. . . . I was therefore dismayed to read on the Met's Intranet today that IRVs are going to be liveried in a new battenburg design like the traffic cars. WHY!!!! Being a police force, it probably costs hundreds of pounds per car. I don't know how many IRVs the Met have, but it obviously runs into hundreds. Can you imagine what the cost of this must be???

I'm editing this now, because I've just googled it, and found out.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-20393064

More than £230,000 will be spent over the next three years to change the designs on 510 cars and 240 vans. That's £306 per vehicle!!!

Do they seem to have their priorities wrong, or it is just me?

bluecopper
Committee Member
Committee Member

Re: Met got to save money but still waste it

Wed Nov 21, 2012 11:09 am

That's bad, but at least they bought the building before the cutbacks. We're now in the middle of the Met having to save £50m, and they waste a quarter of a million replacing something that is perfectly good.

A couple of years ago, someone made a suggestion. Due to the amount of personnel in a police station wearing civvies, it was impossible to tell what rank people were. Someone suggested having different coloured lanyards for different ranks and another colour for staff. What a brilliant idea. The answer, No, too expensive, we can't afford it!!! The mind boggles!

Big Brother
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Examiner: XIII

Wed Nov 21, 2012 3:06 pm

Large organisations waste money, it's generally the norm. Our force spends tens of thousands on gucci BMWs and Skoda Octavias for the ARVs and ANPR mob, whilst response and neighbourhoods get to fight over clapped out fiestas and focus's.
Big brother is watching you.

Andrew B
Committee Member
Committee Member

Wed Nov 21, 2012 8:15 pm

The met are going to be pretty screwed in the future, selling off owned assets and relying on over priced leased buildings they don't own. love it!
Ex Met PCSO
PC Day 1 Passed 06Sep
PC Day 2 24th February

Current Met PC

bluecopper
Committee Member
Committee Member

Wed Nov 21, 2012 11:24 pm

Andrew B wrote:The met are going to be pretty screwed in the future, selling off owned assets and relying on over priced leased buildings they don't own. love it!
Yeah, you're not wrong there.

falkor
Navigator
Navigator
Alignment: 'Xevious'

Thu Nov 22, 2012 12:55 am

They have closed most of the police stations, very few of the SNT bases have front counters,
well there are 32 London Boroughs and the MET plan to have at least 1 police station per borough with a 24/7 front counter

probably result in about 32 police stations across the MET to solve their finance problems :slna: in the end
, they took all our printers away and destroyed them
seriously? :slrog: you can't print anything in a SNT? :slch2:

bluecopper
Committee Member
Committee Member

Thu Nov 22, 2012 9:17 am

falkor wrote:
They have closed most of the police stations, very few of the SNT bases have front counters,
well there are 32 London Boroughs and the MET plan to have at least 1 police station per borough with a 24/7 front counter

probably result in about 32 police stations across the MET to solve their finance problems :slna: in the end
, they took all our printers away and destroyed them
seriously? :slrog: you can't print anything in a SNT? :slch2:
Not in the SNT bases, they still have their printers I beieve. In the Police station which is a very large station. Pretty much, each office had a printer of some sort. Our office had an A3 colour inkjet and a black and white laser printer. One day we can in, and both had gone. As I walked round the nick I saw metal cages stacked with printers, wrapped in cling film. All were being destroyed!!! We now have a system where in a 4 floor police station housing hundreds upon hundreds of people we have 2 printers per floor. You now use your warrant card or staff pass to log into a printer, whether you want to do a photocopy or a print of something, so every copy and every print is logged under your user. Another system that must have cost £100s of thousands. They also have just installed new phone systems Met wide. Posh new phones that each team have a log in pin number, so when you get to work, you have to log into the phone system. A good idea in itself as if you go to a different met building or a different office, you can log in your own user ID into the phone on your desk and you then have a portable extension number. Good idea, but can you imagine the cost? I dread to think, this must run into millions. Really something that they could have one without. All this money, and our computers run on Windows XP and in my office we don't even have a computer that has a DVD drive, so we can't view CCTV in the office. We have to go to the VIIDO unit to borrow a laptop. It's an absolute joke!!!

Gualsa
Elite Member
Elite Member

Fri Nov 23, 2012 11:05 am

It seems we are having yet another uniform change. I have been in 5 years and my uniform has changed 3 times! Our wicker shirts it seems are to now be replaced by normal shirts so we are back to shirt and tie once again. I wouldn't mind if it wasn't for the fact that it will cost so much money. :slroll:

Sgt87
Expert Member
Expert Member

Sat Nov 24, 2012 3:41 pm

bluecopper wrote:Not in the SNT bases, they still have their printers I beieve. In the Police station which is a very large station. Pretty much, each office had a printer of some sort. Our office had an A3 colour inkjet and a black and white laser printer. One day we can in, and both had gone. As I walked round the nick I saw metal cages stacked with printers, wrapped in cling film. All were being destroyed!!! We now have a system where in a 4 floor police station housing hundreds upon hundreds of people we have 2 printers per floor. You now use your warrant card or staff pass to log into a printer, whether you want to do a photocopy or a print of something, so every copy and every print is logged under your user. Another system that must have cost £100s of thousands. They also have just installed new phone systems Met wide. Posh new phones that each team have a log in pin number, so when you get to work, you have to log into the phone system. A good idea in itself as if you go to a different met building or a different office, you can log in your own user ID into the phone on your desk and you then have a portable extension number. Good idea, but can you imagine the cost? I dread to think, this must run into millions. Really something that they could have one without. All this money, and our computers run on Windows XP and in my office we don't even have a computer that has a DVD drive, so we can't view CCTV in the office. We have to go to the VIIDO unit to borrow a laptop. It's an absolute joke!!!
This is usually capital investment and is planned a few years in advance. Some of the printers have been around for years, in some cases longer than the some of the ancient computers we still run. IT evolves everyday and although the Met implements IT change at snails pace, they have to keep up with emerging technology and replace kit when it comes to the end of its useful life. The corporate print management is long overdue and the benefits of a system which monitors usage and orders replacements is very beneficial. It will work out who uses the printers the most. It allows documents to be scanned from a central point rather than rely on a scanner attached to an individual computer. How many times have people printed something out to the wrong print queue? Quite often. What happens when someone prints a sensitive document to the wrong print queue in another location? Well they panic for a while and then urgently make calls to get someone to destroy the documents. I worked in a building which had around 100 staff and six printers. Now the same building has one multifunction device. Far more cost effective IMHO.

Likewise with the telephone network. Internal exchanges need replacing as you can't continue to make do and amend and integrate new with old technology in every case.

The vehicle livery replacement is all about perception of visibility rather than using the vehicles for fast road and motorways. Yes it will cost a few pounds more for each new vehicle (they will not be replacing livery on existing vehicles), but they will make savings in other areas of the fleet to balance things out.

jay1
Executive Officer
Executive Officer
Class: 'Undead Hunter'
Alignment: 'Shadow'
Sacred: 'Ranger'

Sun Nov 25, 2012 7:18 am

Gualsa wrote:It seems we are having yet another uniform change. I have been in 5 years and my uniform has changed 3 times! Our wicker shirts it seems are to now be replaced by normal shirts so we are back to shirt and tie once again. I wouldn't mind if it wasn't for the fact that it will cost so much money. :slroll:

Hmmm

I wonder if we will be following your example :slsa:

xbob89
Elite Member
Elite Member

Wed Jan 02, 2013 5:33 pm

Sgt87 wrote:
bluecopper wrote:Not in the SNT bases, they still have their printers I beieve. In the Police station which is a very large station. Pretty much, each office had a printer of some sort. Our office had an A3 colour inkjet and a black and white laser printer. One day we can in, and both had gone. As I walked round the nick I saw metal cages stacked with printers, wrapped in cling film. All were being destroyed!!! We now have a system where in a 4 floor police station housing hundreds upon hundreds of people we have 2 printers per floor. You now use your warrant card or staff pass to log into a printer, whether you want to do a photocopy or a print of something, so every copy and every print is logged under your user. Another system that must have cost £100s of thousands. They also have just installed new phone systems Met wide. Posh new phones that each team have a log in pin number, so when you get to work, you have to log into the phone system. A good idea in itself as if you go to a different met building or a different office, you can log in your own user ID into the phone on your desk and you then have a portable extension number. Good idea, but can you imagine the cost? I dread to think, this must run into millions. Really something that they could have one without. All this money, and our computers run on Windows XP and in my office we don't even have a computer that has a DVD drive, so we can't view CCTV in the office. We have to go to the VIIDO unit to borrow a laptop. It's an absolute joke!!!
This is usually capital investment and is planned a few years in advance. Some of the printers have been around for years, in some cases longer than the some of the ancient computers we still run. IT evolves everyday and although the Met implements IT change at snails pace, they have to keep up with emerging technology and replace kit when it comes to the end of its useful life. The corporate print management is long overdue and the benefits of a system which monitors usage and orders replacements is very beneficial. It will work out who uses the printers the most. It allows documents to be scanned from a central point rather than rely on a scanner attached to an individual computer. How many times have people printed something out to the wrong print queue? Quite often. What happens when someone prints a sensitive document to the wrong print queue in another location? Well they panic for a while and then urgently make calls to get someone to destroy the documents. I worked in a building which had around 100 staff and six printers. Now the same building has one multifunction device. Far more cost effective IMHO.

Likewise with the telephone network. Internal exchanges need replacing as you can't continue to make do and amend and integrate new with old technology in every case.

The vehicle livery replacement is all about perception of visibility rather than using the vehicles for fast road and motorways. Yes it will cost a few pounds more for each new vehicle (they will not be replacing livery on existing vehicles), but they will make savings in other areas of the fleet to balance things out.
I understand about capital investments BUT it sounds like the Met has done exactly what the NHS has done. Multi functional devices are all well and good until there is someone printing war and peace so you find a queue of people waiting.
Now, these people are all being paid to queue...5 mins here.....10 min there.
Add up all the time spent walking to the MFD, queuing, realising you've made a mistake in the document so go and make changes before repeating the walk / queue scenario...

The mulitply that by the amount of people in the building and you'll see how many wasted work hours there are.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic